Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y flimsy frunk hood material?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of 2023 MY early in Feb, just washed my car today and noticed that the hood is really flimsy :eek:
When i wipe the hood, i can easily press down the hood using 1 finger with minimum pressure... is this normal or that i got a bad one :(

that only upgrades the structs right not the actual frunk hood right?
sometimes we put stuff on the hood, that habit needs to change now...

Yes, it does (the habit of putting stuff on the hood needs to change) and yes the hood material is very light. This is why Tesla includes specific instructions in the manual on how to close the frunt trunk (hood):

==================================

Closing​

The Model Y hood is not heavy enough to latch under its own weight and applying pressure on the front edge or center of the hood can cause damage.
To properly close the hood:
  1. Lower the hood until the striker touches the latches.
  2. Place both hands on the front of the hood in the areas shown (in green), then press down firmly to engage the latches.
  3. Carefully try to lift the front edge of the hood to ensure that it is fully closed.

Yep, it's aluminum! It's strong, just flexible! I had a 2017 Chevy SS/Holden that had an aluminum hood and rear hatch. I told it to a car buying service, and when they came out to inspect it, the guy used a magnet. He tried to claim that the car had extensive body filler until I educated him a bit!

SS.jpg

When I was into track racing, we would get the lightest hoods possible and pin it down. The Tesla hood is comparable, so I don't complain. A real carbon fiber hood would weigh the same. The hood is supposed to be light and thin, so we would cringe when an import model would sit and pose on it.