Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model y LR - steering vibration at 65mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick summary so it's all in one post. I've been to 3 different centers with my car at this point. Every time they found something new wrong and made adjustments. Brand new 2023 Model Y LR, base wheels. Upon pickup there was a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel, seat, and the whole car at almost any speed. 1st appointment they replaced the front two wheels and tires, balanced all 4. Second appointment they found one tire was out of balance, rebalanced, checked all 4. Third appointment the found alignment was off, redid alignment.

Still isn't perfect but it's better than where we started. Once the dealer does everything they can, they call it good and dismiss my concerns, that's just how the car is. My Chevy Bolt rides smoother.

At this point I'm certain it's suspension related (control arm, bearing, ball joint, etc.). If the car needed wheels replaced and an alignment, something must have been hit, damaged or bent enough to cause these remedies to be necessary. But getting the service center to actually check is the frustrating part. I shouldn't be doing their job for them. Terrible customer service, non existent quality control, no accountability.

Reactions: davidc18
gtmaster303: Tesla service centers are, sadly, notorious for not providing the best service when it comes to wheel/tire balance issues.

I strongly recommend taking your car to a reputable tire/wheel shop (Discount Tire?), tell them you possibly have a tire/wheel balance issue because of vibration at speed, and let them take it from there. I wouldn't tell them anything about Tesla's failed service experience, no need to complicate this until you have all four tires/ wheels balanced (road force balanced) by someone other than Tesla. I would even ask to observe each tire/wheel being spun, so you can see for yourself that their machine is balancing properly.

Until you have this done, I would avoid any speculation about suspension related issues. Hope this helps!

Reactions: davidc18
My local Tesla SC has a road force balancing machine and was very thorough with my wheel balance, providing per wheel weight data showing the reduction in weight they achieved and noted that one wheel took more weight than the other 3, suggesting we position that wheel in the rear. I expected nothing less when they charged close to $300 for the job.

My local Tesla SC has a road force balancing machine and was very thorough with my wheel balance, providing per wheel weight data showing the reduction in weight they achieved and noted that one wheel took more weight than the other 3, suggesting we position that wheel in the rear. I expected nothing less when they charged close to $300 for the job.
That's great to hear. I haven't had first-hand experience with wheel issues at my local Tesla SC, but the numerous posts in this forum indicate that not all Tesla SC are as competent as yours.

felizf: Do you have a different Tesla SC near you? Since tires/wheels aren't the issue, they'll need to look at suspension components (stating the obvious here).

That's great to hear. I haven't had first-hand experience with wheel issues at my local Tesla SC, but the numerous posts in this forum indicate that not all Tesla SC are as competent as yours.

felizf: Do you have a different Tesla SC near you? Since tires/wheels aren't the issue, they'll need to look at suspension components (stating the obvious here).
The other SC is 3 hours away :(

'23 MYLR Fremont checking in... Also have the vibration at 65+ MPH... Took it to the SC and was told that my car (less than 1000 miles) threw a weight, and that was the cause for the subtle vibration.
Well, after balancing - I tried lying to myself that it was fixed.. but it's definitely still there.
Agree with others, it definitely has a little fatigue effect on driving - and when the sun hits your watch, and the reflection just shakes - super annoying... And I feel it in the seat as well.
I have another appointment scheduled w/ the same SC.

Romsss: Any severe pothole impact?

Do the vibrations get worse with gentle brake pedal pressure at 70mph? I've had experience (Honda Odyssey) with FE vibration that was traced to a very minor warped front brake rotor. The vibration wasn't noticeable except at higher speed, and only vibrated when rotors were at a specific (hot) temp...the vibration was intermittent.

(With regen the predominant braking force on a Tesla, it's hard to gently engage the mechanical brake, as regen quickly slows the vehicle.)

I'm kind of surprised this isn't some type of recall, I always felt it in my older car and seeing how many people have this problem, seems like the case. Totally not normal hopefully its fixed following to see what people's outcome are.

Yeah. I’m going to try the SC one more time, then search for a Hunter Road Force Balance shop.
Unfortunately when I went to get PPF, they cleaned my tires up and the tire markings are gone, so I can’t get them match mounted.

Checking in... Second visit to the SC ended in failure. I made sure the Service Advisor understood that the lack of customer service is hurting the Tesla brand. That's enough about that visit.
I found out that Dedham SC has a Hunter Road Force Balancer. Apparently they screen their appointments first, with a tech ride along to confirm your issue is actually present, and an issue.
I had to convince the guy that my wheel is shaking more than normal - because he said it was normal...
Fast forward, after the tech took my car to pick up his lunch at TGI Fridays during his road test - my 7 hour appointment (got there at 10, Left at 530...) they said my rear wheels needed balancing (12-15 lbs?), and that the fronts were "fine".
Great.. I guess.. Thanks for the 1 cm scratch on my front window tint by the way. Guess that comes with the side view mirror or steering wheel replacement I got. (Mirror still shakes).
I digress.
So today, I jump on the highway that I drive every. damn. day. I hit 65 mph and I feel like I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler with the Death Wobble.
I suspect this whole time, it's been tire foam that's been coming loose - and now it's finally come loose.
These hot, back to back New England days - with the car sitting in the sun at work, just baking, probably finally did it in.
So now as soon as I push 60-65+ the car SHAKES.

Do I spend another 7 hours at a SC, or do I just bring it to the local mechanic and have him rip the foam out, and balance them?... sigh...
I'm sure Tesla will reimburse me for the mechanic's time right?..