Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since USS is not in any current production Tesla, there is almost certainly no software development work being done on them beyond maintenance. Absolutely no way they would invest the resources to make a hybrid system using Vision+USS at this point for two reasons: (1) it would be a sizable development project that would not improve the current products, and (2) it would probably be a far better system than in the current cars and no way in hell they want to be in that situation (but they are more than happy to downgrade older cars to reach parity). They will absolutely deactivate them on existing cars once they think Tesla Vision is 'good enough' or if they just get board of supporting them in current software releases. Their statement above clearly says they can do that: "At this time, we do not plan to..."="we will do this at any time we fell like is good for us". Yes, that day will suck for everyone with USS.

Reactions: glovelace
Since USS is not in any current production Tesla, there is almost certainly no software development work being done on them beyond maintenance. Absolutely no way they would invest the resources to make a hybrid system using Vision+USS at this point for two reasons: (1) it would be a sizable development project that would not improve the current products, and (2) it would probably be a far better system than in the current cars and no way in hell they want to be in that situation (but they are more than happy to downgrade older cars to reach parity). They will absolutely deactivate them on existing cars once they think Tesla Vision is 'good enough' or if they just get board of supporting them in current software releases. Their statement above clearly says they can do that: "At this time, we do not plan to..."="we will do this at any time we fell like is good for us". Yes, that day will suck for everyone with USS.
I agree they probably won't bother to do a hybrid system, but putting it as a menu toggle is not out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: glovelace
Question to all Tesla Pros
Before Oct 2022 most if not All Tesla cars were equipped with USS.
Do they keep them that way or eventually those cars would be OTA forced over Vision technology?
I was told by our local Tesla shop that the USS would be turned off at some point and no longer supported, given that, in Tesla’s, opinion it is replaced by superior technology. Also Tesla would not be spending any money to improve or adjust anything on the USS. All money is being spent on improving Vision.

I was told by our local Tesla shop that the USS would be turned off at some point and no longer supported, given that, in Tesla’s, opinion it is replaced by superior technology. Also Tesla would not be spending any money to improve or adjust anything on the USS. All money is being spent on improving Vision.
The shops don't tend to get any insider info, so I would take whatever they say about future plans with a huge grain of salt. A lot of it is speculation just like in this thread. Heck they sometimes even get technical information wrong on existing products and features.

That said, based on past history, I don't disagree Tesla is unlikely to have further significant development of USS features and may eventually disable it if the development calls for it (even though they currently still officially say they have no plans to do so).

Reactions: RedY23
My software says 2023.2.200 in the app and something like
(11.1 in the car) in the car no updates so far 7 days out.
rumor on the net about hardware 4 , more camera's and a radar senor
but when is anybody's guess. If you guys got 6.9 how long did
it take?

I just received my Model Y a week ago and was not informed that the car didn't have the warning alerts for obstacles. I wasn't aware that Tesla had decided to build the cars without ultrasonic sensors nor had the warning software based on the cameras been installed. After backing into a vehicle in the dark, I was amazed that I got no warning as to the proximity of a vehicle. I came to the blog to find other complaints happening to other new owners. I called Tesla and they said I should have been told that there were no warnings until the new software was released to my vehicle and that it was released in California earlier and they had started rolling it out two weeks prior to other locations. I can't believe that the software is available and not being included on new vehicle deliveries. It puts the car back about 10-15 years in automotive safety. Be careful before delivery because they also told me that they were not making it available to all but rather rolling it out in phases. I asked them to download it to my car but said that was impossible......Who would want to take delivery of a vehicle with the warnings disabled/not installed? I asked to return the vehicle and they said they would "initiate a ticket" and that my sales advisor would call me within 48 hours...I still have heard nothing.

I just received my Model Y a week ago and was not informed that the car didn't have the warning alerts for obstacles. I wasn't aware that Tesla had decided to build the cars without ultrasonic sensors nor had the warning software based on the cameras been installed. After backing into a vehicle in the dark, I was amazed that I got no warning as to the proximity of a vehicle. I came to the blog to find other complaints happening to other new owners. I called Tesla and they said I should have been told that there were no warnings until the new software was released to my vehicle and that it was released in California earlier and they had started rolling it out two weeks prior to other locations. I can't believe that the software is available and not being included on new vehicle deliveries. It puts the car back about 10-15 years in automotive safety. Be careful before delivery because they also told me that they were not making it available to all but rather rolling it out in phases. I asked them to download it to my car but said that was impossible......Who would want to take delivery of a vehicle with the warnings disabled/not installed? I asked to return the vehicle and they said they would "initiate a ticket" and that my sales advisor would call me within 48 hours...I still have heard nothing.
I had my car delivered about 2 weeks ago. If I recall correctly, there was a notice prior to delivery that I had to acknowledge and accept the message stating that the USS would NOT be available. Surprised you did not have the same message.

I do agree with your point about being disappointed and surprised that Tesla does/did not have a proximity warning. I have not received any updates in my 2 week of ownership.

EDIT: I found the message that I referred to:

Attachments

• CCEE72AA-6752-4EFE-A62C-6C1E748E2F21.jpeg
    CCEE72AA-6752-4EFE-A62C-6C1E748E2F21.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 79
The shops don't tend to get any insider info, so I would take whatever they say about future plans with a huge grain of salt. A lot of it is speculation just like in this thread. Heck they sometimes even get technical information wrong on existing products and features.

That said, based on past history, I don't disagree Tesla is unlikely to have further significant development of USS features and may eventually disable it if the development calls for it (even though they currently still officially say they have no plans to do so).
To be honest i do not like that a vendor can just turn on and off functions that was on the car when it was bought.

I dont care that the vendor says "We have another system that is better" and disable things like radar and USS, especially when there are specific cases where this is absolutely not true.

For example...Vision is not in any way "as good" in the even you are driving in foggy conditions and a car is stopped on the freeway.

The radar will "see" the stopped car through the fog, while the vision system will not be able to see the car any sooner than you do yourself.

The same with USS...The Vision system will not in the current configuration be able to accurately measure the distance to an object that is lower that than the line of sight of the camere, while the USS will.

USS is also "always" very accurate on distance measurements, while Vision will always be "Guesstimation"

I had my car delivered about 2 weeks ago. If I recall correctly, there was a notice prior to delivery that I had to acknowledge and accept the message stating that the USS would NOT be available. Surprised you did not have the same message.

I do agree with your point about being disappointed and surprised that Tesla does/did not have a proximity warning. I have not received any updates in my 2 week of ownership.

EDIT: I found the message that I referred to:
In all fairness... Yes they did, at least in my case

Reactions: Yomanjm
I did an update last night on my 2023 Model Y and this morning i have an error message 'park assist unavailable.' Was this software update anything to do with this?
I have no sensors but a rear camera and 4 side cameras - should i still get a distance/chime at the front if i am nearing a wall?
please help TIA