Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be happy you didn’t get this update yet - it causes issues with Bluetooth connectivity with your phone, including issues with key integration to recognize the vehicle in some cases.....
That explains why I walked up to the car and it had no idea I was there. The phone did nothing. I had to reboot the phone for the app and car to 'talk'. I never had that issue before.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Totally useless! And I think can't be fixed with our (mine is 2023 M3P) hw3 gen. I see everyone is talking about accuracy which is already awful but what about latency? All my assistant's warnings come uselessly late! After I bump to be an object, unlike other cars' parking sensors. I learned that I haven't got the parking sensor after purchase. If I knew this I wouldn't buy it. If they are cutting costs like this I can't imagine what else we are missing.

To my understanding, there is a difference between USS and non-USS Park Assist methods. I don't own an USS Tesla car but I know how USS park assist works on BMW. I think non-USS Park Assist identifies objects via NN. Here are what I found with my non-USS car:

1. Failed to give correct distance between the head of the car and the wall when I drove the car to the garage. It told me to stop when the car was still 4 feet from the wall.
2. Gave correct distance when parking in a stall that has a park block.
3. Gave correct distance when parking in a stall that has no park block but has a painted line at the end. Can USS cars do this?
4. Gave correct distance between the curb and the car during parallel street parking.

Non-USS Park Assist is still a work in progress. I would not say it's useless. It helped me squiz my car in between 2 cars on the street last night (about 2.5 feet to the car in front and 2 feet to the car in the back).

Last edited:
Reactions: tm3lrawd
To my understanding, there is a difference between USS and non-USS Park Assist methods. I don't own an USS Tesla car but I know how USS park assist works on BMW. I think non-USS Park Assist identifies objects via NN. Here are what I found with my non-USS car:

1. Failed to give correct distance between the head of the car and the wall when I drove the car to the garage. It told me to stop when the car was still 4 feet from the wall.
3. Gave correct distance when parking in a stall that has no park block but has a painted line at the end. Can USS cars do this?
4. Gave correct distance between the curb and the car during parallel street parking.

Non-USS Park Assist is still a work in progress. I would not say it's useless. It helped me squiz my car in between 2 cars on the street last night (about 2.5 feet to the car in front and 2 feet to the car in the back).
USS cars can't do 2-4. It can do #1 fairly reliably if you have a flat surface in front.

For vision I imagine it would struggle with #1 if your wall is featureless and there is no horizon line (a high contrast line between your wall and ground).

Reactions: EVRob78 and rlsd
USS cars can't do 2-4. It can do #1 fairly reliably if you have a flat surface in front.

For vision I imagine it would struggle with #1 if your wall is featureless and there is no horizon line (a high contrast line between your wall and ground).
Can Non-USS cars measure the depth of the garage and the distance of the tail of the car and the garage door (eg the garage door wall or some other indicators) to give the distance from the wall and the front of the car?

That explains why I walked up to the car and it had no idea I was there. The phone did nothing. I had to reboot the phone for the app and car to 'talk'. I never had that issue before.

Yes apparently there are problems with the Bluetooth handshaking from what I have observed. I had to reboot my phone and reboot the screen to get my phone to reconnect via Bluetooth and I still cannot get AirPlay to play any iTunes content from my phone. This is proving quite annoying considering I have 7000 songs on my phone that I haven’t been able to use for several days now. Apple CarPlay would resolve these types of issues but no, that’s too easy a solution for Tesla to embrace LOL. Gotta do it the hard way apparently. 😎

Latest observation when backing out of my driveway which is flat then has
slope to the street , when I get to the bottom of the slope it goes crazy as if something is there but it's just the transition from cement to asphalt and from sloped to flat. I wonder if it's detecting the asphalt as an object.

To use ytube music I always had to start the app before it would play .

What do you mean?
If it’s anything like what happens when entering my garage - it starts beeping/warning like crazy and telling you to stop for no good reason because either it thinks there’s an object when there isn’t, the tolerances aren't honed enough (I only have about 4-6 inches on either side of the mirrors when entering the garage bay) - or they did no QA testing at all for garage entry and sloped entrances or exits with this version of the software.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
"To use ytube music I always had to start the app before it would play"
There was a time I could not pay Apple music and could not hear navigation voice. There was a message that the phone was in use for phone call.
I deleted the phone then re-added the phone. That fixed the problem. I am not sure it was my phone problem or Tesla problem. My phone had software update before that.

Single camera can't predict a distance on its own, but it may "predict" distance when moving, if Tesla is equipped with a proper accelerometer to track changes on very small speeds - theoretically engineers may solve this problem. But I don't see in near future any possibility this "USS replacement" with current car equipment will work with 70-80% correctness. More important for me - engineers are spending their time on solving stupid problems, that may be solved with relatively cheap solutions.

Single camera can't predict a distance on its own, but it may "predict" distance when moving, if Tesla is equipped with a proper accelerometer to track changes on very small speeds - theoretically engineers may solve this problem. But I don't see in near future any possibility this "USS replacement" with current car equipment will work with 70-80% correctness. More important for me - engineers are spending their time on solving stupid problems, that may be solved with relatively cheap solutions.
I assume you address #1 in my post. The car is moving to the garage with 3 cameras in front and 4 cameras on the side. It's not a single camera. You think engineers are stupid? And politicians or influencers are smart?