Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to picking up my MY LR , I was required to acknowledge the lack of USS sensors in my car. I had no issues with this because I was under the impression there was a replacement vision system that would at least get me in the ball park when parking. Tesla's documentation confirmed a vision system would replace the older USS system.

Fast forward a little. I picked up the car on April 7th. Since then I've been looking for a software update adding this feature. I looked in controls thinking possibly I overlooked the steps necessary to get the vision proximity system. What am I missing here? I don't see it, and when I back into my garage there are no indicators on the screen.

I know it's been out awhile because I have seen various YouTube videos with Tesla owners using it. Was this only offered to beta testers so far?

For me it isn't life or death either way, however I also want to have all the functions available to me in the car.

Prior to picking up my MY LR , I was required to acknowledge the lack of USS sensors in my car. I had no issues with this because I was under the impression there was a replacement vision system that would at least get me in the ball park when parking. Tesla's documentation confirmed a vision system would replace the older USS system.

Fast forward a little. I picked up the car on April 7th. Since then I've been looking for a software update adding this feature. I looked in controls thinking possibly I overlooked the steps necessary to get the vision proximity system. What am I missing here? I don't see it, and when I back into my garage there are no indicators on the screen.

I know it's been out awhile because I have seen various YouTube videos with Tesla owners using it. Was this only offered to beta testers so far?

For me it isn't life or death either way, however I also want to have all the functions available to me in the car.
What software version are you on? You need 2023.6.9 or newer to have it. Tesla rolls out software updates in a staggered manner so it may take a while until you get it.

You may change your software update preference to "advanced" to perhaps get software updates sooner, although I remember there were forum members that said it was placebo and that toggle wasn't actually connected to anything.

Reactions: L1TR
If there's a reason I wouldn't get a 2nd tesla, it has nothing to do with the CEOs eccentricity, it has to do with getting an every- changing product with little communication.

Your car will change over time, mostly for the better, but they also have no problem removing things that may be important to you, too.

The kicker is, you have to accept it or risk the warranty on your expensive car. The changes are, for all intents and purposes, forced on you.
I, reluctantley, agree. As Tesla is not loyal to its customers, should they expect customers to be loyal to them?

For anyone who’s had MY built in 2023 (missing USS, radar) - how has phantom braking (frequency of occurrence) been? I’m referring to basic autopilot.

That’s a key feature. My past experience has been - even if it happens once - it’s hard to feel confident again. Something you’ll remember every single time you use AP.
Thanks all - very key piece of info for me.

For anyone who’s had MY built in 2023 (missing USS, radar) - how has phantom braking (frequency of occurrence) been? I’m referring to basic autopilot.

That’s a key feature. My past experience has been - even if it happens once - it’s hard to feel confident again. Something you’ll remember every single time you use AP.
Thanks all - very key piece of info for me.
Had it 3 times within 6 months, always with Autopilot on, in sections of motorway under maintenance, just when it would be most useful to maintain speed control and distance in heavy traffic. Surprised it hasn’t caused an accident as it is so brutal.

As you say, I wouldn’t use it anymore - 0 confidence. Never had this problem with other cars with adaptive cruise control.

Reactions: AJ..
I, reluctantley, agree. As Tesla is not loyal to its customers, should they expect customers to be loyal to them?
Would I buy another Tesla after this experience…no.

Would I like to get rid of this one…yes, but can’t afford to since they have destroyed its resale value with price cuts and removal of features.

Telsa‘s arrogance will be its undoing. The world, and competition, has moved on since they could get away with this.

Would I buy another Tesla after this experience…no.

Would I like to get rid of this one…yes, but can’t afford to since they have destroyed its resale value with price cuts and removal of features.

Telsa‘s arrogance will be its undoing. The world, and competition, has moved on since they could get away with this.
Never heard of someone underwater on a Tesla.. maybe things are different across the pond

Updated to software version 2023.6.11 . Old version 2023.2.300

Since I've never had ultrasonic on this car, I can't really make a fair comparison. The new update added the vision system. I don't think it's perfect yet, however it seems to be working pretty well within a few inches. I don't tend to park right up against objects so a few inches here or there isn't an issue for me.

I have basic auto pilot. So far I haven't had any phantom braking issues on either software version. The only issue I had with AP was on single lane roads where the outer line wasn't always visible. AP will drift to the right I'm guessing as it looks at the edge of the road instead when it can't see an outer line.That whole experience was a little unwieldy on that particular road. I only use AP on roads with well defined lines now. Looks like I'm driving drunk from the rear with AP engaged as the car wobbles back and forth from center.

Overall I'm ok with the vision sysem. Esp[ecially if they make further imporvements to it.

FYI, January 2023 Shanghai MYP, delivered March 1, has fully functional USS. My 2020 Fremont M3SR+ (shown back-to-back on Delivery Day) had latest updates here in Japan, but never lost functionality. I was surprised (and happy) to see this, as Japan has a LOT of tight driving/parking situation ... including my garage. I can only hope USS will continue to function, AND Vision gets better and better.

Just letting ya'll know what's happening elsewhere.

Cheers!

M3-MY 23 03 01 b.jpg

Took Delivery December 2022. 6K miles. 2 service requests for emergency braking without cause. This is a totally unacceptable system 85mph and the brakes slam on for no reason on a straight flat divided highway! Tesla says everything is working as it should. Anybody else having this problem?

Reactions: AJ.. and Flemingo
Seems like a pretty thorough review of the deficiencies of Tesla Vision, and reinforces the over optimistic hope that Tesla will be able to make it work as well as USS without additional / changed hardware. No real surprise…vision can’t and will never be able to see through things like the bonnet. Presumably Tesla will introduce some new hardware to solve this and cause even more depreciation on our cars. Don’t you just love being a Tesla test lab rat?

Hello, I recently put an order through for a MY and expecting delivery this week. Unfortunately I've only learned about this change post deposit and to me feels pretty big, I live in a winter climate so know the cameras will get covered with road gunk during melt periods, and I assume short of getting out and cleaning (constantly), the autopilot and subsequent parking abilities will be severely hindered if not unusable with the Tesla Vision system. Hoping to get some input/feedback while I can still cancel, and lose $250 vs $80k

Hello, I recently put an order through for a MY and expecting delivery this week. Unfortunately I've only learned about this change post deposit and to me feels pretty big, I live in a winter climate so know the cameras will get covered with road gunk during melt periods, and I assume short of getting out and cleaning (constantly), the autopilot and subsequent parking abilities will be severely hindered if not unusable with the Tesla Vision system. Hoping to get some input/feedback while I can still cancel, and lose $250 vs $80k
For 80k you should cancel and get a rivian

Reactions: Flemingo