Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I recently put an order through for a MY and expecting delivery this week. Unfortunately I've only learned about this change post deposit and to me feels pretty big, I live in a winter climate so know the cameras will get covered with road gunk during melt periods, and I assume short of getting out and cleaning (constantly), the autopilot and subsequent parking abilities will be severely hindered if not unusable with the Tesla Vision system. Hoping to get some input/feedback while I can still cancel, and lose $250 vs $80k
I drive a 2022 M3 with USS and a 2023 MY without, and I can say that I can mostly trust the front Park Assist measures on the car with USS but cannot trust these measures in the car without USS. If this feature is important to you, you should wait to see if Tesla sorts this out with software updates or with updated HW4 cameras. There will not be a hardware upgrade path for cars delivered with HW3 and no USS. An alternative is to buy a used MY with USS . Keep in mind the impact of the Federal tax credit on prices of new and used Teslas.
No need to cancel your order now if you want to wait to see what happens before you delivery day. You can cancel any time before you accept delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benito1283
I enjoy technologies and yet I don't all when it comes to cars
Sometimes AUTOPILOT kicks out and if old men like me don't pay enough attention then I could be in major accidents

Yes... I worked with IBM, Samsung, AMD, AMAT, Micron, TSMC etc... and enabled them to make advanced computer chips down to 12-nodes when I retired. FWIW, they are down to 5-node technology now

I enjoy technologies and yet I don't all when it comes to cars
Sometimes AUTOPILOT kicks out and if old men like me don't pay enough attention then I could be in major accidents

Yes... I worked with IBM, Samsung, AMD, AMAT, Micron, TSMC etc... and enabled them to make advanced computer chips down to 12-nodes when I retired. FWIW, they are down to 5-node technology now
I think what you are describing with AP kicking out is actually phantom braking. It was so bad in my Y I sold it.

As for USS or not, I have been looking a Plaid X and there is no way I'd buy that car (or any other Tesla) without USS. I've driven the gimped system relying on the cameras and software alone cannot overcome the physical limitation of its hardware. So I am specifically looking for cars only with USS. The vision based system is a POS and I don't mean point of sale!

Tesla winning the race to the bottom…fastest depreciating cars in the world! £70,000 reasons why you can’t trust them and why I’d never buy another one…

IMG_2229.jpeg

Tesla winning the race to the bottom…fastest depreciating cars in the world! £70,000 reasons why you can’t trust them and why I’d never buy another one…

View attachment 931790
thats more indicative of how inflated the used car prices were than depreciation.. for example the cheapest used Model 3 is still ~31k for a 2018 with 50k miles on the tesla used inventory meanwhile you can still order a new one with rebates for $29k

I have version 2023.2.300, so I appear to still be waiting for the update.

Thanks for the tips. I will go to advanced to maybe get the update a little faster.
Look at your Tesla Owner's Manual about updates. It'll say if you're set to Standard, you'll get updates that have been out in the wild running on others cars for awhile. If you're set to Advancd you could become a guinea pig for others by getting beta software.

The depreciation is even worse than I thought. No eff'n way I'd buy a car without USS either. I was considering buying a Plaid and decided to find a 2022 just so I'd have USS.

Meanwhile in the week since I'd had Tesla give me a trade-in quote on my MS LR, according to them, the value went down a ton!!!! They offered me 52-57k for a mint condition, 2022 MS LR with low miles. The car stickered for 97k when I bought it. I thought the Plaid was the race to the bottom of depreciation but the MS LR caught it this week.

Update 2023.6.11 and still no “Birdseye” view. This is what every Tesla needs. The current vision park assist is a useless gimmick. With camera onboard now every model should have a birdseye view at low speed so driver can actually see in front back and sides when parking. The outdated wave that Tesla gave us as a guide for how close we are to something is a step backwards not forward.

Reactions: voxel and Flemingo
Just tested it. The front distance detection system is pretty useless compared to USS systems I’ve used in other cars. There’s such a large gap due to the camera blind spot in the front that a competent driver can eye ball the distance better. Maybe helpful to vision impaired drivers. The rear camera is much more useful.

I guess 2023 model ys are truly gimped without a camera retrofit, sigh.
Exactly completely useless. Birdseye view is what is needed. Come on the new Tesla has cameras use them Elon. Nobody wants a microwave moving around their car as an indicator of how close we are to something.

Update 2023.6.11 and still no “Birdseye” view. This is what every Tesla needs. The current vision park assist is a useless gimmick. With camera onboard now every model should have a birdseye view at low speed so driver can actually see in front back and sides when parking. The outdated wave that Tesla gave us as a guide for how close we are to something is a step backwards not forward.
Birdseye view as you are expecting (presumably you mean a stitched video view) is never coming and Tesla never promised it (people misunderstood what Elon was saying "vector-space birds eye view" which Tesla already delivered, which is just the zoomed out 3D view of computer generated graphics).

The car needs a front bumper camera to support that stitched view and so far none of them have it. Probably the Cybertruck will be the first one to have it (there were cameras in the prototypes).

I did a test drive yesterday and here's my feedback

The Tesla vision is ok, but I can’t compare it to a USS as they didn’t have any ‘22 on the lot. My experience was as follows and maybe this can be determined if a similar experience or not

When stopped on the side of the road the lines got wavy and we opened door to about a foot away from the curb, the Tesla vision showed it closer

At a stop light the car in front of us disappeared on the display so I tried creeping up closer to it, nothing showed then all of a sudden it said stop and beeped pretty loudly

When driving down a narrow road with cars parked on the right side, it didn’t show or alert to any of them

It also thinks a lot of vehicles are semis

I tried backing into a parking spot between 2 cars, I got fairly close to one and it didn’t beep or alarm and the lines on the screen were fairly faint so I dunno if it’s evaluation of close is the same as mine

I guess the biggest thing I can imagine, the front end of the car is invisible, and without a front cam or some type of sensors, it’s just opening up the opportunity for a spatial awareness collision

I spoke to the Tesla rep about my concerns and he said he drives these vehicles all the time, when TV first came out it didn’t work but it has gotten much better recently. He also said that with a dirty rear cam it still functioned in his tests

The Tesla vision is ok, but I can’t compare it to a USS as they didn’t have any ‘22 on the lot. My experience was as follows and maybe this can be determined if a similar experience or not

When stopped on the side of the road the lines got wavy and we opened door to about a foot away from the curb, the Tesla vision showed it closer

At a stop light the car in front of us disappeared on the display so I tried creeping up closer to it, nothing showed then all of a sudden it said stop and beeped pretty loudly

When driving down a narrow road with cars parked on the right side, it didn’t show or alert to any of them

I tried backing into a parking spot between 2 cars, I got fairly close to one and it didn’t beep or alarm and the lines on the screen were fairly faint so I dunno if it’s evaluation of close is the same as mine

I guess the biggest thing I can imagine, the front end of the car is invisible, and without a front cam or some type of sensors, it’s just opening up the opportunity for a spatial awareness collision

I spoke to the Tesla rep about my concerns and he said he drives these vehicles all the time, when TV first came out it didn’t work but it has gotten much better recently. He also said that with a dirty rear cam it still functioned in his tests
Don't drink the Kool-Aid or take the red pill. Choose the analogy that resonates with you.

At the end of the day, software can only do so much to make up for hardware deficiencies. The front cameras have a huge blind spot. Just look at the view in sentry mode. So if someone is stupid enough to buy the current HW4 implementation, budget for a front camera as you aptly surmised.

I was in the market for a Plaid X or S and deliberately didn't even remotely consider a 2023 because of no USS sensors. AP worked well enough for me with HW3 and the lack of parking sensors meant the front of my car would look like a teenager with an acne breakout if my wife were to drive it. USS is why the front of our 3 is still pristine even though my wife has to park the car ever day in a dense urban environment. They work! The current TV doesn't!

Reactions: Flemingo and voxel

BREAKING NEWS: Tesla employee says cameras have got much better (and presumably receives bonus for spin). Might want to ask him how since there has only been one release of software (excluding a bug fix) enabling Park Assist. No camera updates. And it works when reversing with the rear camera obscured. Really? Load of bull.

Took a USS equipped M3 out….SOOOOOOOOOO much better!

Wow, reading these posts I feel like everyone is in panic mode. The Tesla vision software just came out recently. Give it some time. Like everything else, the software will improve over time as Tesla upgrades it. Not many new features that Tesla has introduced over the past 4 years that I’ve owned a Tesla have been perfect (or even good) at first release. I’m not really concerned.

I just sold my 2019 Model 3 Long Range (38k miles) last week, and am picking up my new 2023 Model Y Long Range on Monday. The total cost of my upgrade (after tax rebates) is $14,130. When I decided to order the new Model Y, I remember thinking if it were to cost me less than $20k for the upgrade, I’d be happy. I could not have imagined it would be as low as $14k.