Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>So, if you mean auto park for Park Assist, it isn’t much of a loss IMHO. If you mean a visual display with distance markings, it works well enough.

Thanks. Talking just about park distance sensors, for manual parking. Not auto parking.
I don’t know how well it works in rain. For frontal distance, I presume it’s using the cameras inside the windshield. Side cameras could get dirty.

Hi all, I have a standard range Model Y on order. Gets delivered in 2 weeks. Appears to be Austin build (A149729), which from everything that I've read seems to mean HW4. I got a notice in the Tesla App that I had to confirm delivery with features reduced/limited and software in the coming weeks. Yeah, I've heard that before about Tesla.

I've read horror stories about Tesla Vision and Park Assist. I have to park this on the street, mostly parallel parking it. I am thinking of canceling my res if that is the case. Yes, I can park without parking sensors, but I live in Seattle, and once the sun sets at 5pm and it's raining for 6 months this becomes a lot harder without parking sensors that are pretty much standard on most cars.

Is Park Assist with Tesla Vision as bad as I'm reading?
Decline and cancel your order. Then wait a few months before the software is updated and then make the order.

Or get the car now, use it and wait for the update.

AFAIK, Park Assist is there and working today on all new cars.

No, it isn't as bad as you are reading. Remember, Internet forums are mostly where people come to complain.

This is one of the advantages of a Tesla. The car that you sale, the car that you will live with, is NOT the car that you will buy. I got a Model 3 over 5 years ago, there are things that the car has today that weren't envisioned then. Similar to Park Assist, when I got the car, I didn't have rear seat heaters, but a few months later, I did. They just hadn't been enabled in the software yet.

Reactions: tashtibet
I drive a 2022 M3 with USS and a 2023 MY with TV and no USS. The TV-based park assist is unreliable, especially in the front. If this feature is important to you, cancel the order and shop for a different car or wait to see what happens next year when the MY is refreshed.

Reactions: AJ..
I drive a 2022 M3 with USS and a 2023 MY with TV and no USS. The TV-based park assist is unreliable, especially in the front. If this feature is important to you, cancel the order and shop for a different car or wait to see what happens next year when the MY is refreshed.
And how is it unreliable? Do you mean it never works?

Do you expect that it may get better in the future?

I haven’t bothered but it seems to me one could calibrate Park Assist. I expect there would be anomalous situations that would be accounted for like overhangs.

I recall at least one thread about people mounting an after market camera on the front.

FWIW, we exit an underground parking lot with a very tight right turn into a narrow driveway. It’s sporty. I have done it multiple times with USS Park Assist and Tesla Vision in our Model 3. I couldn’t describe the difference. I used to make the same exit with our 2014 Model S with USS Park Assist. That was even sportier but doable.

I don’t think waiting two weeks for another Tesla will help so you would lose your $250 fee. Is there anyway you could test drive a car with Tesla Vision?

I haven’t bothered but it seems to me one could calibrate Park Assist. I expect there would be anomalous situations that would be accounted for like overhangs.

I recall at least one thread about people mounting an after market camera on the front.

FWIW, we exit an underground parking lot with a very tight right turn into a narrow driveway. It’s sporty. I have done it multiple times with USS Park Assist and Tesla Vision in our Model 3. I couldn’t describe the difference. I used to make the same exit with our 2014 Model S with USS Park Assist. That was even sportier but doable.

I don’t think waiting two weeks for another Tesla will help so you would lose your $250 fee. Is there anyway you could test drive a car with Tesla Vision?
Park Assist is currently in it's V1.0 release. Give it time, it will get better.

And how is it unreliable? Do you mean it never works?

Do you expect that it may get better in the future?
In my 2023 HW3 MY without USS, distance measurement are way off, often saying you need to stop when you have a good two feet distance. They stopped delivering the MY with USS almost 9 months ago and promised functional parity for the TV system. I am not optimistic that TV will ever achieve parity with the current camera placement. If this feature is important to you and you want an MY, wait until the MY refresh next year and hope for better camera placement or other sensors that provide accurate park assist measurement, or consider buying a used MY with USS.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
If you need "Park Assist" for parking, you need to re-learn how to drive.
This is such a nonsensical Tesla-apologist reply. Do you use _ANY_ driver conveniences? If so, then why? If you deviate from the basic car controls then you should immediately stop using them and learn to drive properly. 🙄

The point is that it's a basic ...and really useful... feature. We can all drive perfectly well without parking beepers, but sometimes they're flipping handy and you know it. TV parking is a really half-baked solution that will _never_ be as good as USS.
Making excuses on behalf of a billion dollar company is so pathetic, you're getting shafted on basic features, you _should_ be irked and letting them know that it's a bull-crap cheap move, if consumers weren't so naive, then Tesla (among others) might then stop shafting everyone in favour of their bottom line.

Hi all, I have a standard range Model Y on order. Gets delivered in 2 weeks. Appears to be Austin build (A149729), which from everything that I've read seems to mean HW4. I got a notice in the Tesla App that I had to confirm delivery with features reduced/limited and software in the coming weeks. Yeah, I've heard that before about Tesla.

I've read horror stories about Tesla Vision and Park Assist. I have to park this on the street, mostly parallel parking it. I am thinking of canceling my res if that is the case. Yes, I can park without parking sensors, but I live in Seattle, and once the sun sets at 5pm and it's raining for 6 months this becomes a lot harder without parking sensors that are pretty much standard on most cars.

Is Park Assist with Tesla Vision as bad as I'm reading?
How reliant are you on parking sensors? Park Assist now works, but as others mentioned, especially the front, it may give false readings. Also it doesn't show the lines shrinking below 12 inches (the USS version also doesn't show numbers decreasing below 12 inches, but the line distance continues to shrink), so you need indicators below 12 inches, then it probably won't work for you.

The new function supported by Vision park assist is it how shows side obstacles and also has front curb detection (USS does not show sides at all and many times will not detect a front curb).

The rear and side cameras of course still work either way (you can have them on permanently while driving).

If you are the type that can't park at all without parking sensors, then probably best to wait. If instead parking sensors are just niceties and you can still park while using the cameras, then probably you are fine.

In my 2023 HW3 MY without USS, distance measurement are way off, often saying you need to stop when you have a good two feet distance. They stopped delivering the MY with USS almost 9 months ago and promised functional parity for the TV system. I am not optimistic that TV will ever achieve parity with the current camera placement. If this feature is important to you and you want an MY, wait until the MY refresh next year and hope for better camera placement or other sensors that provide accurate park assist measurement, or consider buying a used MY with USS.
You've basically had one update that enables the TeslaVision. And I think that it was pushed out the door just to get them turned on. There will be more updates.

You've basically had one update that enables the TeslaVision. And I think that it was pushed out the door just to get them turned on. There will be more updates.
Yes it is possible Tesla will some day update TV park assist to achieve parity or exceed the capabilities of USS. I sure hope you're right, but we've been waiting a long time. It is risky to buy a car that currently does not meet your needs with hopes that an update is coming that will fix the problem.

Yes it is possible Tesla will some day update TV park assist to achieve parity or exceed the capabilities of USS. I sure hope you're right, but we've been waiting a long time. It is risky to buy a car that currently does not meet your needs with hopes that an update is coming that will fix the problem.
I bought one that didn't have rear seat heaters, but a few months later it did.

Tesla WILL be coming out with an update for the feature.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
The new function supported by Vision park assist is it how shows side obstacles and also has front curb detection (USS does not show sides at all and many times will not detect a front curb).

Sort of. More of a crazy front curb wag. Why I park with the car with a good 6 inches to the curb, it normally shows the curb line halfway across my frunk. Given how bad it is, I don't consider it to have any sort of front parking assist.

I took delivery of my 2023 MY 05 December. Any idea yet when the new software it to be released that supports the all vision depth sensing?

I am sure that a lot of testing had to be done prior to the USS removal decision. Hard to understand and disappointing why Tesla removed the hardware when the software was not ready to release.
Remember the old joke about “if Microsoft made cars…”. Well seems like that joke has come true..

Reactions: gosub10
I have had a Model Y since January 23. Waited patiently for Park Assist. Now that it's here, It's better than nothing. But it seems very conservative. It tells me to stop when I'm about 2 feet away from the curb or obstruction. Sometimes more. Is that normal?
It's normal in that it's the only thing that it is occurring now. It's anticipated to change in the future.