Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD battery chemistry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does not want to reveal that they are putting LR batteries in RWD otherwise this would kill the demand for LR models. Wouldn't everyone buy RWD and charge it to 100% rather than buying LR and charge it to 80%? I believe it still makes sense to put the daily/trip slider even if its SW limited to 80%
You are close to right.

Tesla doesn't sell batteries, it sells EVs. To Tesla, the specify an EPA range and make a recommendation for daily charging levels.

That's really all they say about the batteries, period.

Nope, But I refer only to US made and delivered MY in this case.

But for LR & P LFP never has been an option. Can not really either.

Another clue might be the L2 charging capability. Is it 48 amps or 32 amps?

M3 RWD with LFP, that is sitting right now in my garage, and no admonition to not charge to 100%, charges at 32 amps max.

MY RWD that my friend took deliver of a couple of weeks ago in the United States, and admonishes you to not charge more than 80% for daily driving, charges at 48 amps max.

Nope.

MY RWD has had LFP at least for a while, model 3 RWD had NCA cells earlier.

Any LR and P has not LFP, and newer had.
They so far always had NCA or NMC.
There has not been any Model Y RWD with LFP in the United States. There have been various posts that confirm it has a software locked long range battery (now whether it is the LG NMC or Panasonic NCA is the question).

Model Y RWD LFP has been available in other countries, but not US.

Here is yet another clue:

My M3 RWD, sitting in my garage:

IMG_4020.JPG

My friend's MY RWD, delivered a few weeks ago, sitting about 3 miles from where I am sitting:

IMG_6031.jpg

Another point:

If LFP batteries need to be charged to 100% every week to keep the percentage battery indicator accurate, I think it would be a pretty terrible mistake for Tesla to tell people that have an LFP battery to only charge to 80% for daily driving.

There has not been any Model Y RWD with LFP in the United States. There have been various posts that confirm it has a software locked long range battery (now whether it is the LG NMC or Panasonic NCA is the question).

Model Y RWD LFP has been available in other countries, but not US.
This was news to me, I was quite sure the Y followed the 3 in this case.
Good to know!

You do realize that you are looking at the RWD with fewer batteries and motors?
I would think they do, since they said “RWD” in the the part you quoted.

That being said… even if its short one motor and some cells in the battery, I find it hard to believe that would be enough to cut the weight in half. even if the front motor weighed more than the rear motor, in order to cut enough weight from the battery to get down that much, I’m pretty sure you’d lose a lot more range, possibly half or more.

I’m guessing its a typo. I think 3298 would be more likely.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
Um, not sure what you‘re saying with that. All it says is how much the LR weighs and how much each axle weighs/supports.

Eh, my Honda Fit with engine weighs 2600 lbs or so. So, I think it could in the case of no motor and no battery. Or at least close enough to be plausible.
quoting myself, but I want clarify that I meant plausible for no motor and no battery to weigh 2200 lbs.

Last edited:
A swedish 2023 Y RWD weighs 1919kg (actual weight from the certification papers)
This is with the heavier LFP battery.
It would nit be hard to find the battery weights bit I’m too lazy.

Lets play with that the 100kg less, then we have 1819kg or 4007lbs.
After looking at the numbers, my guess is that someone may have fat fingered the kgs number into a lbs field.

Reactions: Rocky_H and AAKEE