Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD, LFP battery: Initial range at 418 instead 445 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm newbe and I've had my Tesla Model Y, RWD for about two weeks now.

So far I have fully (100%) charged the car twice - once per week as suggested for the LFP battery type.
In both cases at 100% charged, car shows a range estimation of 418 km which is about 6% less from the advertised 445 km.
Is this expected for new RWD, LFP battery? The car odometer is just ~200 km.

Reactions: ihaveaking
In both cases at 100% charged, car shows a range estimation of 418 km which is about 6% less from the advertised 445 km.

Since this model is not sold in US, hard question to answer.

However, Tesla typically uses EPA estimates for their rated range numbers which divide the available pack energy when new into that many individual chunks.

Internally Tesla has probably tested it, and uses that number.

455km is the WLTP range allegedly so EPA would be less than that.

I’d expect 420km is about right. Have to consult with other owners in Europe to establish what a full pack shows when new (this number will shrink as the pack shrinks).

But definitely do not expect any correspondence to WLTP or European ratings in this display.

The only thing that matters is if the number is what it should be when new. Not the actual value (as long as it is what it should be). It could be 200km, as long as that matched the “when new” value everyone else displayed. Just determined energy content of the km.

Remember (r)km is not a unit of distance, it is a unit of energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and tzolov
my brand new model y rwd with 20 inch alloys is supposed to charge to 267 but at 100% charge the limit is 242 ?
The battery pack is so new that the battery management system (BMS) in your Tesla Model Y has not been able to collect data on the state of the battery over wide range of state of charge.

Charge and drive over a wide range of battery state of charge. (Many prefer to switch the battery status display from estimated miles to % state of charge by tapping the displayed value.)

Set Sentry mode to be off when parked at your home location. This will enable the BMS to periodically perform the open cell voltage (OCV) measurement that is used by the BMS to more accurately determine the state of the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickst
(Many prefer to switch the battery status display from estimated miles to % state of charge by tapping the displayed value.)

This.

Lots of comments here about the stated range not matching up to what Tesla claims. It's never going to match up. I'm not even sure how that estimated range on the screen is calculated (though I'm sure there are those here who do know), because often it won't really match up with the predicted range when using the trip planner. Switch to battery percentage and don't worry about it anymore.

Maybe in the future when there are many more fast chargers people won't care about the stated range of an EV anymore? Maybe it would be better if we just switched to watts per mile and then you could figure out a rough range off of the usable battery size? (77kw battery, 270w/mile = 285 miles or about 200 miles from 10-80%.) My minivan can barely make 300 miles on a gas tank but I'm more concerned about my mpg rather than the actual range of it, because there are gas stations everywhere.

I've had so many conversations with people where they're like "how far can it go between charges?" And the answer is always "it depends." No one asks how far your car can go between fill ups. Sorry, getting off topic here.

image_67149313.JPG

its the figure on the top right I'm worried about
When charging to 100% expect the Tesla Model Y to continue charging, cell balancing for almost an hour after 100% state of charge is displayed.

When the battery pack is brand new, the battery management system (BMS) algorithms in your Tesla Model Y vehicle have little available data beyond manufacturing data to determine the state of the battery.

Charge and drive your Tesla Model Y over a wide range of charge levels. Park the Tesla Model Y with Sentry mode set to be off at your home location (this can be found under Security settings => Sentry mode). The Tesla Model Y will enter Sleep mode when parked with Sentry mode turned off. When Sentry mode is set to be On the Tesla Model Y remains in Standby mode, does not enter Sleep mode. This causes the Tesla Model Y to use approximately 10X more power when in Standby mode than when in Sleep mode; ~230W in Standby mode versus ~25W for Sleep mode. Over a 24 period having Sentry mode enabled, therefore Standby mode to be active will consume ~7% of the battery.

When the Tesla Model Y is in Sleep mode the BMS will be able to measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery pack. (The OCV measurement is performed automatically, periodically. The OCV measurement takes several hours. The Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in for the OCV measurement but the high voltage battery does need to be disconnected from the vehicle as when in Sleep mode.) The BMS algorithms use the OCV data to more accurately determine the state of the battery over the range of state of charge.

After a time, perhaps several weeks, your Tesla Model Y may show a higher estimated range when charged to 100%, still not display the full 267 miles. The estimated miles figure is only an estimate. It is based on Tesla's data. In the US this is data that Tesla submitted to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Many Tesla owners switch the battery readout from showing estimated range to displaying the % state of charge (SOC). The displayed SOC is independent of driving patterns, speed, traffic and weather.

When on a road trip use the Tesla Navigation system and the Energy Screen to gauge your energy usage and the estimated range as you drive. The Navigation system and the Energy screen will be more accurate than the simple battery display readout because these Tesla Model Y features factor in posted speed limits, driving history, elevation changes, temperature, precipitation and winds forecast for the area where traveling along a route, tracked using the Navigation system.

Last edited:
Herkenbaar, 418KM actieradius, rij op % maar kijk nog graag naar de KM na laden (19 inch MYRWD) ! Ook na lange laadsessies (11kwh) en snelladen bij supercharger. Ook na uitschakelen Sentry-modus voor enige tijd.... geen spannende wegen hier in Rotterdam (Holland). Geen bijzonder weer (gemiddeld 23 graden overdag-nacht 17 graden Celsius) , wel hoge binnentemperaturen overdag (na een parkeersessie).

Ik vind het ook wel jammer, de 455 km had ik inmiddels (8000km verder) ook wel willen zien.IMG_2029.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I just don't understand why its advertised with a range of 267 but when you actually get one it says on the screen max charge 242 miles. I was told by Tesla that once I had my home charger fitted and used it this figure would change once my battery has calibrated , its been 2 weeks now and 900 miles , still says max charge 242 miles

Reactions: ihaveaking
This.

Lots of comments here about the stated range not matching up to what Tesla claims. It's never going to match up. I'm not even sure how that estimated range on the screen is calculated (though I'm sure there are those here who do know), because often it won't really match up with the predicted range when using the trip planner. Switch to battery percentage and don't worry about it anymore.

Maybe in the future when there are many more fast chargers people won't care about the stated range of an EV anymore? Maybe it would be better if we just switched to watts per mile and then you could figure out a rough range off of the usable battery size? (77kw battery, 270w/mile = 285 miles or about 200 miles from 10-80%.) My minivan can barely make 300 miles on a gas tank but I'm more concerned about my mpg rather than the actual range of it, because there are gas stations everywhere.

I've had so many conversations with people where they're like "how far can it go between charges?" And the answer is always "it depends." No one asks how far your car can go between fill ups. Sorry, getting off topic here.
No, you are pretty well on topic. There isn't a really exact answer. Some of the comments about letting the BMS do some research, a couple of Full to Empty cycles, yada, yada...

I'm reminded of he kid's question "How high is the sky?" or Bill Cosby's question, "Why is there air?".
My 2022 M3LR said about 335 miles when I found it at my curb. It now seems to top out somewhere around 320. I knew from experience by Buick LeSabre would make almost 400 miles on a full tank most times. Winter, Summer, tire condition, etc all would affect it , same as in a Tesla. If that suddenly dropped, I knew I had an isssue, like the time my injector rail screwed up and I was running rich.

If you charge to 85% on a regular basis, note the mileage. Check it from time to time. Load it up to 100% once in a while. If you see a marked change, say 20 miles difference or more indicated on a full can all of a sudden, then put in a service ticket. They'll run remote diags and advise you.

I charge one car on 110V any time it is parked. The other one on a 40 Amp Wall Adapter, as I am on call. The Blue Bunny, a March 2020 M3SR+ indicates 222mi on a full can. I'm happy with that. The Good Ship Venus, a Nov 2021 M3LRAWD shows 333 on a full can.

Is the software right? Am I being made sport of? Who knows. I do know I can go about 275 miles on a trip before my micturition warning light is enabled. But at my age, that's about it. So once in a while I look at the current mileage then the percentage. Divide the mileage by the percentage and see if it matches what I see if I fill 'er up. Costs me about 5-6 cents a mile. Happy as a poule d'eau in a canary's cage, to quote the late Cajun Pete.

Last edited: