Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y vibration around 70mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there was on the onset a slight pull to the right. That got worse as time went on. I put about 2000 miles on the car after first noticing the vibration (but not yet the pull) as I was returning to NJ from Colorado. At the point when I took it in the pull was noticeable. I'd say it was veering off the road within 100 feet at that point. Not sure about the vibration as we don't have 75 mph roads here but I could feel it coming on in the mid 60s.

Oh, forgot about this. The car started telling me to get an alignment. The message on the screen said it was ok to drive but schedule an appointment soon. Now that is something they could improve as I did have an appointment. Given that I made the appointment through the app (is there any other way?) and the app knows my car's VIN it could be smart enough to stop nagging me (it took about 2 weeks I think to get the appointment).

• Informative
Reactions: Vinnigan
So issue is fully fixed? No more vibrations?

I'm surprised. Wheel balancing on a machine should have picked that up and you had that done four times. Heck, if you watch the edge of the rim as it spins, you can see the oscillations.

At the last SC visit they said they found 2 bent rims. 1 was out of spec (driver rear) and 1 was still within spec (front passenger). They recommended to replace the out of spec one which we did. After couple weeks of driving can confirm the vibration is much better but not fully fixed. There's still slight vibration at 75+ but not as bad as before.

This morning I took the car to a local wheel repair shop to straighten out the other rim but they inspected and found all rims are straight. They have great reviews and pretty honest. They didnt charge me for the inspection and they don't sell anything other than fixing rims. After inspection they think it's the front tires. They recommended to replace the front tires or an alignment as the inside of the front tires are pretty choppy. I came home and measure the treads but they seem pretty consistent about 7-8/32 for all 4 tires.

Any recommendation what should be my next action? Back to Tesla? I don't mind to go back but I think they will want me to replace the other wheel that cost $950 and I afraid it still doesn't fully fix the issue. For the price of replace 2 rims I can buy a set of new T sportline.

I had a vibration that would start around 65 and get really bad by the mid-70s. Finally took it in for alignment / balance. Turned out they had to replace the steering rack. At ~19,000 miles

How many visits did it take for them to pin down to the steering rack? Everytime I took it in they recommended to balance. When you say the vibration is really bad, how bad is it? Anyway to describe?

How many visits did it take for them to pin down to the steering rack? Everytime I took it in they recommended to balance. When you say the vibration is really bad, how bad is it? Anyway to describe?
The vibration was bad enough that I drove about 65mph max out west when the limit was 75 and everyone else was whizzing by at 80+. At 60-65 it was noticeable. Below 60 I couldn't tell.

They got it on the first visit. Had to keep it overnight but I picked it up the next day. This was 3 months ago and all is good so far. I've taken it to 80 a couple times and it seems good but can't do that often here in central NJ.

The vibration was bad enough that I drove about 65mph max out west when the limit was 75 and everyone else was whizzing by at 80+. At 60-65 it was noticeable. Below 60 I couldn't tell.

They got it on the first visit. Had to keep it overnight but I picked it up the next day. This was 3 months ago and all is good so far. I've taken it to 80 a couple times and it seems good but can't do that often here in central NJ.

Which SC did you go? I've been going to Springfield the whole time. My vibration probably wasn't as bad as yours but there's still slight vibration at 75+ felt from the steering wheel after replacing 1 rim. Not sure if I should just let it go....