Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MYP software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does it take to get soft updates?

Our 2023 Model Y Long Range delivered in January received the vision update and is currently on version: 2023.6.9

But my 2023 Model Y Performance delivered in March is still on version: 2023.2.300

Does the Long Range get different software than the Performance? What’s taking so long?

The first post in this thread I am about to link covers pretty much everything we know about software updates. TL ; DR = it can take between 24 hours and 6-7 weeks for the first update to show up, and there is no rhyme or reason to the timing. There will also be times you read about some update, wait (im)patiently for it, and never get it, and get one newer than it a few weeks later.

New cars can take 1-2 months before getting their first update.

And even after that, Tesla will decide what cars get which updates and when. Your cars will likely not be pushed updates at the same time in the future either. And as mentioned above, one of your cars might skip an update entirely that the other one has and be offered a newer version instead.

There’s no reasoning or explanation as to which cars get pushed an update first. Constantly checking the software update page on the car doesn’t do anything. Worrying about it doesn’t do anything. Just basically forget that it even does updates and be pleasantly surprised when the notification pops up on your app.

It’s not like when Apple releases iOS 16.4.1 or something and you can go download it on all your devices at once.

Reactions: theanhdy
I think the short answer is: it depends. I took delivery of my new MYLR in the Netherlands on March 18. Since then, I have had 3 updates. I got the Assisted Parking update approx. 1 week after its release into the wild and 5 days after my previous update. Many have tried to find rhyme or reason as to who gets which update when and where. If I had to guess (and it is nothing more than a guess), I would say that the updates are pushed out in a way that prioritzes or takes into account the biggest markets for Tesla's (the Netherlands being at or near the top of that list), as they can get the most feedback data from those markets...

I think the short answer is: it depends. I took delivery of my new MYLR in the Netherlands on March 18. Since then, I have had 3 updates. I got the Assisted Parking update approx. 1 week after its release into the wild and 5 days after my previous update. Many have tried to find rhyme or reason as to who gets which update when and where. If I had to guess (and it is nothing more than a guess), I would say that the updates are pushed out in a way that prioritzes or takes into account the biggest markets for Tesla's (the Netherlands being at or near the top of that list), as they can get the most feedback data from those markets...

Thats a decent guess, but then that would mean that pretty much every car in California (which is likely Teslas largest installed base in the world) would get updates before everyone else, and that also isnt the case.

It really just depends, on a bunch of variables we dont know for sure.

Took delivery of my 2023 Model Y All Wheel Drive on Monday and it is still on the same software version as @theanhdy: 2023.2.300. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the Tesla Vision update. 🤔
Best thing you can do is just set your Software Update notice to Advanced and hope for the next software update when it comes out in batches. It seems to me based on the Tesla Vision rollout that they tend to do VINs in production order meaning like a Feb 2023 car will get it before a Mar 2023 car. I had 2 friends that took delivery before me and they both got the 2023.6.9 update before I did.

picked up my MYP 3/25 and was on whatever software and waiting on 6.9 for the park assist wondering when it would come. I switched to Advance as many have suggested and ended up getting 6.9 last week and then 6.11 came yesterday. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but it can't hurt to select Advanced.

picked up my MYP 3/25 and was on whatever software and waiting on 6.9 for the park assist wondering when it would come. I switched to Advance as many have suggested and ended up getting 6.9 last week and then 6.11 came yesterday. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but it can't hurt to select Advanced.
I’ve been on Advance since deli on 3/24 and still nothing. Wifi and everything enabled

Best thing you can do is just set your Software Update notice to Advanced and hope for the next software update when it comes out in batches. It seems to me based on the Tesla Vision rollout that they tend to do VINs in production order meaning like a Feb 2023 car will get it before a Mar 2023 car. I had 2 friends that took delivery before me and they both got the 2023.6.9 update before I did.
I wouldn't read too much into that. I have an Oct 2022 build and my friend has a March 2023 build and we both just got 2023.6.11 on Tuesday night.

We asked on Mar 30: "Just took delivery of Model Y 3/28. Software version says 2023.2.300 (says "up to date"), but most recent version at Tesla is 2023.6.9 (released Mar 23). Why don't I have access to latest? Will it eventually appear?"
They answered on : "You will receive updates for software over time as they roll out in waves." 2 weeks ago and still no update.

We asked on Mar 30: "Just took delivery of Model Y 3/28. Software version says 2023.2.300 (says "up to date"), but most recent version at Tesla is 2023.6.9 (released Mar 23). Why don't I have access to latest? Will it eventually appear?"
They answered on : "You will receive updates for software over time as they roll out in waves." 2 weeks ago and still no update.

Thats because that is the answer "you will receive updates for software over time as they roll out in waves". Thats the full and complete answer. There is no rhyme or reason on how soon, or how long, etc.

There are probably 80+ threads on this topic, because its one that new owners create threads on (just slightly behind "I drove 20 miles but 28 miles rolled off the range meter, somethings broken right?" and "Im not getting my rated range, tesla keeps blowing me off, they suck!".

It kind of "is what it is".

Reactions: Wamoosh and E90alex
This thread prompts me to try to change the mode to “Advance”, but I can’t seem to connect to the car through my app. So I went to the car to see if I could change it on the center screen, and it shows that it’s downloading the new version (It is too busy downloading to respond to the app).
Yay, finally. I’ve been hoping for the new FSD for like 3 weeks!

another aspect of updates: what drives the process …

i was away with my car parked at work for 3 days without wi-fi…

my app says “ready for update connect to wi-fi”

when returned 2 days later and drove the car home and connected to home wi-fi i did 6.9.11

so i got “picked” while the was on an extended period off wifi