Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Plaid - Booming noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over both rough and smooth pavement, especially when first driven for the day, I get a lot of booming sounds while driving. Was hoping it would be an issue with the hatch not being tight, but had tesla "fix" the alignment and reset the stops. It is now very tight, to the point it creates an obvious slowdown of the latching process. I have had a model s before (2012) and it was quiet, and the latch did not have this slowdown.

In fact I think the booming is worse now, after the re-alignment and tightening. Enough that it is well aboce >20db higher than ambient sounds of driving, as it causes my mic to distort even setting the recording volume down quite a bit. All at the very low end 20-40hz based on my recording and view through garageband. A weighting from a db meter wont show it, but i'd estimate 85+db and yes I need to get a c-weighted setup going to record and show max db.

If anyone is in my area with another 2023 (s, lr or plaid) and could spare a few minutes for some back to back testing, I would really appreciate it. Just want to prove to myself I'm not crazy.

Tesla states they can't hear it and "older people seem to have more issues with the booming". Quote.

ANC is turned off btw. Tried suspension auto/comfort. no real change.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
db meter testing, C weighting, shows avgs in the 83db range (remember this is c weighted, so road noise will play a huge part, normal measuring in a car is A weighted which shows how quiet tesla is in the normal spoken word range), with booming in the 96->103 range. (a bit hard to say since it is a peak over time measurement, but that's what I get)

Should be up in a few mintues, recording from a few weeks ago but it is the same now. Basically listen for the parts where the mic cuts out, you can hear everything else is fairly normal then you hear crashing/booming sounds. The roads are not rough and this sound is fairly constant. Very very loud compared to the rest.

I drove a loaner model 3 and it was absolute crystal clear night and day difference.

The mic was NOT moving around during this, there was no other movement in the car. The mic itself is a umik-1, works great and very accurate hooked to garageband. I had turned down the input volume to try to limit the distortion caused by the loud portions, but it still overdrove the mic.

Just listened to it with 64 audio U12T's which are very accurate on resolution and detail so it's like basically being inside the car with you. I just had a 2021 plaid on loan and while it did have some boominess at times it was nothing like what you're experiencing. Any response from service center on this? I wonder if it's the floor plate and they just need to add more sound dampening. Are you able to narrow the source of the booming whether it's center floor or actually the trunk/sub trunk/hatch?

Hatch was adjusted and tightened. Part of the fun stuff with low frequencies is the length is so long it is VERY hard to locate. My intuition tells me its from behind me while driving, but physics makes it really hard to be sure.

Floor plate is certainly a possibility.

Tesla tech just said I am old. Then wrote that they couldn't duplicate on my test drive with them, which I did duplicate (though the roads are rough and it might not have been apparent to him given that there is noise from the roughness on the road).

Another thought is a damaged or failed rubber seal around the hatch opening or some obstruction limiting the hatch closure. Usually, the booms come from the rear hatch bouncing up and down slightly causing the "boom" as it compresses the air on the down-stroke. Adjusting the hatch almost always corrects the problem, but perhaps something else allows the hatch to move a bit. Is there any play with the hatch lid? You may have to do a little investigation to find the source. I'd feel around the rubber seal and check for consistency and that there are no obstructions (i.e. it pushes in equally around the perimeter). The booms are not normal and should be able to be fixed, but your specific case seems different than all others I've encountered.

Not much. It does a bit, but it is not complete. Which makes me think the hatch is part of the issue, but something else is causing the noise in addition to the hatch.

There is no break or obstruction anywhere else I can find. No movement in the hatch that I can find at all.

That sounds like a hot mic to me, do you have your audio system on or off? Is there any difference if you start the car and then shut down your cell phone completely?
You are correct that the mic is being overdriven, but thats just because of how darn loud it is. I turned down the gain a huge amount, (about 30dB if I remember correctly, so it should be able to record up to ~100db) but the boom sounds were another 20+db up from the avg, causing the distortion. I am using a Umik-1 usb mic to my computer for accurate sound recording, not my phone. Radio and all other sound sources were disabled, including ANC.

@scot - This a long shot, but do you have noise cancellation turned on? I've never used it myself, but I do see other owners complain of some odd effects.
as stated ANC is disabled.

#@vapor: ive read that one and the long one. I will grab some moving blankets and pack the trunk to see if that helps. Who knows... And hopefully the other person with the "tesla fix" for a Y will pop back in before my service and let us know what the solution was for them.

Reactions: vapor trail