Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Steering Wheel Vibration model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 23 Model Y long-range yesterday with 15 miles on it.

Noticed a pretty good wheel shake from 60-80mph.. service center wants to charge me $212.

Super frustrating. This is my first Tesla, and the steering wheel is shaking.

Is anyone else having similar vibrations?

A $65k car shouldn't drive this way.

The OP needs to schedule a road force evaluation on the Hunter balancer to determine the road force variation. The tire\wheel assembly can be perfectly balanced but if the tire is slapping the road then there will be vibration. The OP should request the amount of pounds of road force on each of the tires\wheels and ask the Tech to turn the tire to obtain the projected lower amount if the eval first spin is over 15 pounds. My wire had this done on her X and it was determined two tires could not be brought in within Road force specs and were changed out under warranty. Only had 60 miles on the X.

Reactions: mark02115
I had the same issue, random steering wheel vibration. Then I read that the lane departure system vibrates the wheel if you cross the pained lines on the road if your blinker is not on. A safety feature not a problem! Maybe this is it.

I don’t think the service team sees that you just picked up rhe vehicle and yes, there should be a flag/note on vehicles that are new
If this goes south and drops through for a potential charge, just escalate to the service area manager or the center manager and it will be wiped out

My brand new M3 needed to be aligned
Charge just disappeared

Picked up my 23 Model Y long-range yesterday with 15 miles on it.

Noticed a pretty good wheel shake from 60-80mph.. service center wants to charge me $212.

Super frustrating. This is my first Tesla, and the steering wheel is shaking.

Is anyone else having similar vibrations?

A $65k car shouldn't drive this way.
I had the same problem with my new model Y. I was about to take it in to service when I read in the manual that the steering wheel will vibrate at speeds over 40 MPH if you depart from your driving lane without using the turn signal. If one of your wheels touches the lane line, the steering wheel will vibrate to notify the driver of a "lane departure". TMC member geom noticed the same thing. This may be what you are experiencing.

I had the same problem with my new model Y. I was about to take it in to service when I read in the manual that the steering wheel will vibrate at speeds over 40 MPH if you depart from your driving lane without using the turn signal. If one of your wheels touches the lane line, the steering wheel will vibrate to notify the driver of a "lane departure". TMC member geom noticed the same thing. This may be what you are experiencing.
Yes, that's the lane departure warning. It can be changed on one of the menus in the car - forget which one. Safety maybe? There are multiple settings. I have my steering wheel notification set to 'off'.

I’m not sure if this is just a regular occurrence, but I have a model y rwd 2023 and the steering wheel seems to vibrate/shake the slightest amount. At times it’s almost like u can’t feel it anymore unless you strongly hold the steering wheel. I’m not really sure if it’s just me feeling the tires moving or if its something else. Anyone else also experiencing this?

I’m not sure if this is just a regular occurrence, but I have a model y rwd 2023 and the steering wheel seems to vibrate/shake the slightest amount. At times it’s almost like u can’t feel it anymore unless you strongly hold the steering wheel. I’m not really sure if it’s just me feeling the tires moving or if its something else. Anyone else also experiencing this?
I have a MY Dual Motor with just under 2000 miles. I feel slight vibration in the accelerator, floorboards, and steering wheel since the last two weeks. To me something doesn't seem right and I'm confident there was no vibration when I took delivery. Went to the SC yesterday and the tech who drove it said the vibrations were normal road vibrations. I'm still skeptical and will continue to monitor.

Interesting, I haven’t had any vibrations any where else but only in the steering wheel which is very slight. For me it’s not really till the point to which I think it needs to be looked at but might take it to be looked in the next couple of weeks.

I just noticed this yesterday on my MYP while driving home. It's even noticeable at 10MPH, but more so on rough roads than on smooth roads. Is it normal to feel any road feedback through the steering wheel in this car? I'm not sure if my car was like this when I picked it up or now that I am just more sensitive to it since I noticed it. I'm at 1500 miles.

I just noticed this yesterday on my MYP while driving home. It's even noticeable at 10MPH, but more so on rough roads than on smooth roads. Is it normal to feel any road feedback through the steering wheel in this car? I'm not sure if my car was like this when I picked it up or now that I am just more sensitive to it since I noticed it. I'm at 1500 miles.
If it's noticeable at 10mph, it's not a wheel balance issue. You either have a bent wheel or a defective tire.

Reactions: badiban
2021 MYLR, dual motor, I've got 40k miles on MPP Comfort Coils, car is now at 50k miles.

When my new Pirelli Scorpion A/S 255/50 x 19" tires were installed, they were fine for 3-400 miles. Then I noticed a minor vibration, at different speeds, in the steering wheel and in my seat, usually indicating balance issues front and rear. (I've now read that Scorpion tires have balancing issues?)

Discount Tire re-balanced the tires. 3 of 4 tires were off by 1/4 ounce. That seems like a very small amount to me, but it was noticeable. I have often wondered if pebbles/stones in the tread can affect the balancing?

I now have 750 miles on the tires, and all is well. DT mentioned that, even though they re-calibrate the road-force balance machine every day, there was one day that the recalibration was incorrect.

I'm thinking the bushings in the suspension (OEM) are so stiff that they transmit even the smallest amount of wheel vibration into the cabin.

That's my theory, at least.

I scheduled a SC appointment. Thank you. So any road feedback felt through the steering wheel is abnormal?
Just depends on the nature of it, hard to say over the internet unfortunately. If you have an oscillating vibration that is rhythmic, probably not normal. A little vibration from a rough road through the steering isn't unheard of, though.