Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Long Range AWD (Highland) SOC vs. TIME Charging Curve Graph - V3 Supercharger 250kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I supercharged from 2% to 100% the other day and compiled this info. Although to most drivers, SOC vs. TIME is all that really matters, I will make another graph at some point that charts charging speed, SOC and time. I'll also do a test starting from 10% and starting from 20% that more accurately represents how most drivers arrive at a charger. Out of Spec did a test called a 10% challenge that showed my identical car (different wheels though) charge from 10% to 50% in exactly 15 minutes. Will be interesting to see if I arrive at 10% SOC if I can hit 80% in under 30 min and maybe 100% in under an hour.

This graph really shows how slow charging gets deep into the pack. Unless I needed the extra range at my destination and there were no charging options, I don't know why I'd ever Supercharge to 100%. 80-100 takes 30 minutes, but 20-40 only takes 10 minutes. But... at the moment I don't have home charging so I do sometimes charge to 100% if I'm immediately going to be doing 50ish miles of driving. That way I can be around 80% SOC when I get home.

Attachments

• 2024_M3_CHARGING_CURVE.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and mrnoodles
This graph really shows how slow charging gets deep into the pack.
Also very slow early on! Looks like 33% added in the first 10 minutes, which is an average of just 150kW; about 25kWh in 10 minutes.

That’s absolutely brutal. Just devastating. Imagine being at 250kW from ~5% to nearly 30%.
Will be interesting to see if I arrive at 10% SOC if I can hit 80% in under 30 min
That would require an average charge speed of 100kW which seems really unlikely with this taper.

That’s absolutely brutal. Just devastating.
i find it pretty depressing that after many years charging really hasnt improved that much, even gone backwards. hopefully things will change with lfp 2.0 batteries. m3p, or whatever they want to call them.

my model 3 2023 with the lg battery the last time i charged it the temperature outside was 106 degrees, and at 10% it started at 150kw, maybe reached 160 for a short period of time, and i was at the charger for 30 minutes and got to 70%

Forgot to add a picture of the graph. I can't edit my posts yet. Here you go!
2024_M3_CHARGING_CURVE.jpg

Also very slow early on! Looks like 33% added in the first 10 minutes, which is an average of just 150kW; about 25kWh in 10 minutes.

That’s absolutely brutal. Just devastating. Imagine being at 250kW from ~5% to nearly 30%.

That would require an average charge speed of 100kW which seems really unlikely with this taper.
Agreed. Tesla has revolutionized charging via superchargers, so I'd wish they'd revolutionize charging speed and charging curves. For roadtripping, how would you recommend charging?

Agreed. Tesla has revolutionized charging via superchargers, so I'd wish they'd revolutionize charging speed and charging curves. For roadtripping, how would you recommend charging?
If you arrive at a SC with ~10% SOC, you'll hit ~50% in 15min.

To drive 600miles/day:
Start at 100% - drive ~250 miles - stop for brunch at 10% SOC- charge for 35min to 80%
drive ~200 miles stop to charge at 10% SOC for 20min and charge to 55% SOC
drive ~150 miles, stop to charge at ~10% SOC to 80% for dinner and then hotel (or charge overnight at hotel's L2 charger).

Subsequent days:

Start at 80% - drive ~200 miles - stop for brunch at 10% SOC- charge for 55min to 95% (this assumes no L2 overnight charging)
drive ~225 miles stop to charge at 10% SOC for 25min and charge to 65% SOC
drive ~175 miles, stop to charge at ~10% SOC to 80% for dinner and then hotel (or charge overnight at hotel's L2 charger).

Compared to an ICE vehicle you might be 10-15min behind, considering that you'll need 3 stops anyways for food and restroom breaks.

Depending on SC/DCFC density along the route, and desire to arrive in least time, you might consider more, but, shorter charges to ~50% only for best time, and eat in the car whilst driving ( I wouldn't eat and drive but we keep containers in the car to take our hotel provided breakfast with us and consume it at the next charging stop...).

I charge from around 10-15% to 60-65% SOC typically, when roadtripping. Once it gets below 100kW, it's getting slow. That's around 60% SOC. Roadtripping is easy, because adding 50%, takes only about 17mins, and I can then drive 110 or more miles until my next stop.

Here's the chart I made for my car, that I give to people who want to know about supercharging while roadtripping. As you can see, charging V2 or V3 takes between 13 to 17mins to charge from 10% to 65%. Another 5mins to get to 75%, another 7mins to get to 85% and another 13mins to get to 95%.

The data points are from teslalogger's thousands of inputs.
by default 2023-05-02 at 2.03.42 PM.jpg

We have the data from for example Y LR with the same battery, both made in Germany and Made in China.

The have increased the charging speed slightly since the first LG Pack.
Doesn’t keep the 250kW very long but better than before.

It is noticable slower than the 2018-2020 M3 LR/P, but those are freaki’n fast by Tesla terms. (Teslalogger.de for charts)
IMG_9406.jpeg

We have the data from for example Y LR with the same battery, both made in Germany and Made in China.

The have increased the charging speed slightly since the first LG Pack.
Doesn’t keep the 250kW very long but better than before.

It is noticable slower than the 2018-2020 M3 LR/P, but those are freaki’n fast by Tesla terms. (Teslalogger.de for charts)
View attachment 1060883
Strong recommendation from Kyle is still to avoid. Of course, it makes a huge difference that for the same price (or $7500 cheaper, really, for some people), we can get the Panasonic. Having another choice makes a big difference.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and AAKEE
Strong recommendation from Kyle is still to avoid. Of course, it makes a huge difference that for the same price (or $7500 cheaper, really, for some people), we can get the Panasonic. Having another choice makes a big difference.

I do not get the Kyle ref, youtuber?

This is the equivalent chart for M3P 2021, effectively only showing cars with Pana82.1kWh:
Its not a mad difference to the 82kWh pack.

The 77.8 Pana is madly fast, but that isn’t an option nowadays I guess.
IMG_9410.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
i find it pretty depressing that after many years charging really hasnt improved that much, even gone backwards.
Tesla is little behind the other manufacturers on charging speed at higher SOC. I guess the cells Tesla use wont charge faster.
One possibility is that Tesla rampers down the charging speed to conquer lithium plating and that the other accept higher wear on the cells.

do not get the Kyle ref, youtuber?
Kyle O’Conner Out of Spec. I think I linked a Tweet from him recently earlier here? Not sure where.
This is the equivalent chart for M3P 2021, effectively only showing cars with Pana82.1kWh:
Its not a mad difference to the 82kWh pack.
I think Panasonic is probably handicapped in Europe. Don’t really know. There are videos in US showing 2024 Performance doing 250kW over 25%. Should do it up to about 30%.

EDIT: actually was “only” 220kW at 25%. See below. This would be slower than original 2170 but still substantially better than LG. (Roughly aligns with your picture but also just one datapoint.)

Anyway Panasonic still seems fast though more data from Highland Panasonic would be interesting from the US.

Anyway more video evidence would be good to see where it stands.

People have claimed it is still very fast up to near 30% but no idea if there is proof. I don’t watch videos.

Slow charging video:

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

EDIT 2:

Ah, here is the video I was remembering, this is nice and fast, 250kW to 26%. Still arguably aligns with your plot above and doesn’t quite match the old 2170 taper. I would still say a significant step above LG though:

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and AAKEE
Kyle O’Conner Out of Spec. I think I linked a Tweet from him recently earlier here? Not sure where.

I think Panasonic is probably handicapped in Europe. Don’t really know. There are videos in US showing 2024 Performance doing 250kW over 25%. Should do it up to about 30%.

EDIT: actually was “only” 220kW at 25%. See below. This would be slower than original 2170 but still substantially better than LG. (Roughly aligns with your picture but also just one datapoint.)

Anyway Panasonic still seems fast though more data from Highland Panasonic would be interesting from the US.

Anyway more video evidence would be good to see where it stands.

People have claimed it is still very fast up to near 30% but no idea if there is proof. I don’t watch videos.

Slow charging video:

EDIT 2:

Ah, here is the video I was remembering, this is nice and fast, 250kW to 26%. Still arguably aligns with your plot above and doesn’t quite match the old 2170 taper. I would still say a significant step above LG though:

I do not know, as I havent charged a LG myself with SMT, but a Pana pack will arrive at the SuC with 48C celltemp.

Here we saw 36-44C (not familiar with the service mode temps), which seems low for getting max speed.

Reading the kW on the screen means we also se battery heating included, and AC or heat or anything else.
Battery heating is always on at least on Pana for the first 5-10 minutes.

I know the LG is slower but it would be around 5 minutes delta in a normal supercharging session.

I would not think the pana 82 kWh is slower here than in us…?
I think I saw 250kW plus until ~25%.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla is little behind the other manufacturers on charging speed at higher SOC. I guess the cells Tesla use wont charge faster.
One possibility is that Tesla rampers down the charging speed to conquer lithium plating and that the other accept higher wear on the cells.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Tesla is holding back on the charging speed for a reason. For my part, I would rather have a slightly later charge if I get a longer battery life. I generally think there is too much focus on charging speed vs battery life

Reactions: Mercimek