Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024; Tesla's Tipping Point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i feel like the model 3 highlander probably drives better than the legacy model 3's and is probably closer to the mach e drive experience

i rented a mach e for a week and while it drove great... the software was terrible and the cabin feels cramped... its like they couldnt decide if they wanted to actually make a mustang or a ford edge so they got the worst of both worlds
I've driven the Mach E twice. Including an all-day test drive. I can assure you, it is no real Mustang nor a BMW SUV. The Mach E is devoid of driver feedback with loosy goosy steering like all mainstream EVs. I supposed one can turn on the fake 'propulsion noise' to simulate ICEV vroom-vroom sound. I've yet to come across a sub-6 figure EV that does not drive like a rolling appliance. I'm just an operator of the round thingy. I am coming to terms with this genre of vehicles.

From electronic's standpoint, the above poster is spot on. Apart from BMW's idrive 8, I've yet to encounter any mainstream EV with slick and fast acting UX vs. Tesla's. Heard MB's MBUX is pretty good too. With the MME, the music would skip if one is working the menu. The cameras on the Mach E are quite poor compared to the Tesla much to mine and the sales guys' chagrin.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Tesla is not devoid of software and hardware bugs.

For example, twice my drivers door would not open. Never had that happen in years of driving.

Couple of occasions I get in the vehicle and the driver display is black. Nothing. A few minutes later it may show up vs soft reboot. Never had that happen in my Ford.

Couple of times the car keeps telling me to put the keycard on the charging pad despite phone in my pocket. Restarting the app generally resolves this one.

Apple Music on teslas app is buggy, much worse than carplay.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
How would you feel if the infotainment system crashed daily?

What if your phone key or fob only worked ~50% of the time on the first try?

Car refused to wake up or go into gear without a multi-minute delay?

Audio system and/or Bluetooth are regularly completely non-responsive?

Incessant false alarms, alerts, or error messages?

Cameras fail to work for backing up or rendering external visualizations?

I’m not talking occasional slowness or niggles. Surely every car exhibits those to some degree. But the examples above are all real and an all too typical experience in a current EV from a legacy automaker.

No amount of comfortable suspension, reduced road noise, or Corinthian leather is going to make me tolerate that in a car for long. That’s what I mean by poor software can ruin literally everything else. It HAS to be at least “good enough.”
Are you saying that yours does that?

It's quite hard to believe that you've put up with the infotainment systems crashing daily without a Service Ticket. What does Tesla say about it.

Phone key? Usually quite easy fix,

Mine will take forever to go into gear if I don't put my foot on the brake. Want to clarify the situation?

Audio systems - see above infotainment

Incessant false alarms? Odds are that they aren't. Put it in Joe mode if you don't like them.

Cameras fail? Service Ticket time.

With all these issues, there is something wrong with the car or behind the wheel.

Tesla wasted its short lived period of dominance where they could have put a stranglehold on the industry. Focus on building the best product possible with the best customer experience. Instead they cut corners and knowingly deliver defective product and terrible CS. Now all of a sudden they’re gonna shift to taxis and robots when they can’t even build a car correctly?

Perhaps I’m wrong and Tesla can be like Netflix with the first mover advantage.

A stranglehold on the industry was NEVER Elons desires. Matter of fact he has said that as long as the sustainable EV industry flourishes, if dies, then things are okay.

His goal was never to dominate, basically to get Detroit off their asses and do what people wanted, but Detroit said couldn't be done.

Are you saying that yours does that?

It's quite hard to believe that you've put up with the infotainment systems crashing daily without a Service Ticket. What does Tesla say about it.

Phone key? Usually quite easy fix,

Mine will take forever to go into gear if I don't put my foot on the brake. Want to clarify the situation?

Audio systems - see above infotainment

Incessant false alarms? Odds are that they aren't. Put it in Joe mode if you don't like them.

Cameras fail? Service Ticket time.

With all these issues, there is something wrong with the car or behind the wheel.
You’ve lost the conversation thread again. I’m not talking about Tesla.

Reactions: gt2690b
congrats... Tesla refined a vehicle and made it better between 2017 and 2024 in the span of ... 7 years ... that's an entire new vehicle generation timeframe for OEMs. so yeah... I'm pretty sure the Mach E in 3+ years from now will be better than the original one...
Why? That's not really Ford's way.

Ford will probably change it in the future by making it bigger. Ford has never kept a vehicle at the same size after a refresh. Number of cases available, current easy one the Ranger, which has grown so big that it's replaced with the Maverick at the bottom, which I believe is still bigger than the original Ranger.

... Ford will probably change it in the future by making it bigger. Ford has never kept a vehicle at the same size after a refresh. Number of cases available, current easy one the Ranger, which has grown so big that it's replaced with the Maverick at the bottom, which I believe is still bigger than the original Ranger.
Some great thoughts in this thread; thanks all.

I am a relatively new MYP owner of about 6 months, but grapple with what an upgrade might look like. Different styling? Not so much, this is what bugs me about ordinary carmakers superficially facelifting annually.

More power? Maybe. More tech? Potentially. Some sort of capability that I have not imagined could be cool, but essentially the issue is where does Tesla go next to keep my loyalty. Highland was an interesting, but not riveting, upgrade (although I definitely am envious of a future Plaid Y if that comes with Juniper).

Question: having heard what Tesla is doing wrong, what do others think should be the next step? Some have already said a more sophisticated ride and better interior, but what else? (I don't think this is too far from NV Ray's original Tipping Point starter comment.)

Last edited:

I am a relatively new MYP owner of about 6 months, but grapple with what an upgrade might look like. Different styling? Not so much, this is what bugs me about ordinary carmakers superficially facelifting annually.

More power? Maybe. More tech? Potentially. Some sort of capability that I have not imagined could be cool, but essentially the issue is where does Tesla go next to keep my loyalty. Highland was an interesting, but not riveting, upgrade (although I definitely am envious of a future Plaid Y if that comes with Juniper).

Question: having heard what Tesla is doing wrong, what do others think should be the next step? Some have already said a more sophisticated ride and better interior, but what else? (I don't think this is too far from NV Ray's original Tipping Point starter comment.)
service center network with loaners for repairs, not "uber credit only"
bring back a modern radar instead of vision only for TACC
bring back USS instead of vision only for park assist
better fit & finish and more consistent QC

It depends if Tesla's mission of hastening the transition to sustainable mobility still is a thing. Driving down the cost of EVs' main component, ie. the battery pack, needs continued attention and investment. Is Tesla not doing the hard and seemingly unglamorous problem solving anymore? That has presaged the demise of American companies ever since I've been watching.

If Chinese suppliers have it licked, there's still the very big challenge of building out more local cell production, and designing a platform for vehicles that address new markets below the Model 3. Will Tesla never build commercial vans? They're immensely popular across Europe and Asia.

One idea I have that doesn't seem to fit the present Muskian orthodoxy for so-called FSD is that its most effective immediate use may be with smallish public transport buses (call them pods if you like), serving relatively fixed routes.

hard disagree. I enjoy my 2019 Model 3 but would gladly accept slight delays when route planning or a buggy UI at times for a smoother suspension and less road noise while also having a more premium cabin feel....
Get the Mountain Pass Comfort adjustable coilover kit. It literally transforms the early cars. See reviews under numerous threads. Then spring for lightweight forged wheels to drop unsprung weight off the suspension. Also transformative. Those two combined will literally make your car feel like a different car. There are also many threads about noise and increasing road isolation. We've done a lot of stuff to both our 2018 performance model 3s that have resulted in a much quieter and much better riding car.

Agree this was the single largest issue with the car but I still wouldn't trade this car's performance and 1g+ skidpad grip for the crappy mushy Mustang particularly when you throw in it's charging experience. And by the way the model Highland is the smoothest driving car of any kind electric or internal combustion I've ever driven smoother than some Mercedes.

Reactions: gt2690b

Tesla makes updates throughout the life of a vehicle. They do it when the want to and don't follow classic Model Years. It's more probable that a 2023 and 2024 are exactly alike than two 2023 models. They change things in the middle of the year.

Want to see what a refresh looks like? You should be able to find some pre and post Model 3 refreshes in the stores right now.
But my early Model Y looks more different than the current Model Y, when compared to the Model 3 versions.

What it Tesla doing wrong for the Model Y? Honestly, it's hard to say that the highest selling car is doing anything wrong. But you will hear a lot of personal opinions, but they generally aren't the opinion of the masses.

Tesla wasted its short lived period of dominance where they could have put a stranglehold on the industry. Focus on building the best product possible with the best customer experience. Instead they cut corners and knowingly deliver defective product and terrible CS. Now all of a sudden they’re gonna shift to taxis and robots when they can’t even build a car correctly?

Perhaps I’m wrong and Tesla can be like Netflix with the first mover advantage.
Sorry but do you actually own a Tesla? Do you speak from any experience with ownership or are you just another person trolling Tesla? Have you driven the new model Highland? If the answer to all of those is no, my question is why do you think your opinion is based on actual experience as opposed to just repeating and regurgitating Echo chamber memes? If you do own a Tesla and you've had some bad experiences forming the basis for your negative opinion do you understand that that's anecdotal and not statistical?

Specifically in relationship to the Highland, evidence from reviewers and new owners suggests that it is a very high quality product. Sandy Munro who tore one down said that the assembly quality could teach the Germans something. Are you saying that you know more about the assembly quality of this car than Sandy?

In relationship to the poor customer service, have you seen carefully done and methodologically sound surveys on this issue? We have roughly eight people we know that makes a total pool of 10 Teslas and 95% of their service experiences have been very positive. We've had nothing but positive experiences across our two cars over 6 years and again all this is anecdotal but your notion of poor service doesn't appear to have much statistical base. So once again it does not appear to be grounded in any kind of method that allows you to draw the conclusions that you appear to be drawing. This is not to suggest that Tesla is any version of perfect and that there are not problems. But then again if you go buy a Ford you can expect to have the highest level of recall of any Legacy automaker, and I'm not talking over the air software updates I'm talking bringing the car in and fixing something that is a serious problem. So again what is your benchmark? I owned two Lexus and although they were generally reliable they were far from perfect, and these were regarded as the most reliable most well serviced cars of their generations. I'm assuming you're somewhere in neuroradiology from your title, can we at least agree that conclusions have to be based in some version of a scientific survey and not simply anecdotes?

Last edited:
Reactions: ewoodrick