Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21,000 miles on my 3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the original tires warranted for any mileage?

Don’t know, they might be. I think I read recently when you get a new car you don’t necessarily get the tire warranty from the tire company, you get it from the manufacturer of the car. If you buy a new tire set then you get the warranty from the tire company. They are also fairly strict in that if they can tell it’s due to misalignment, other car fault, it’s not covered.

Since getting my 3 on May 8, I've put 21,000 miles on it.

I don't have autopilot in the car

Ew.

I've done about 15k miles in the last year and change (plus another 2k-3k miles on service loaners). The miles in the service loaners without autopilot (which SHOULD NOT EXIST, TESLA! FFS, get enterprise to put AP in the loaners somehow) were my first times driving with peasant cruise control in many years (my previous car had TACC), and it reinforced my belief that no car without TACC is worth owning for a daily driver.

Everyone's different, of course, but I couldn't go back to normal cruise control.

12k miles in 9 months. 0 dollars in maintenance,0 dollars in electricity cost. (night time free with TXU plan)
Do you "overpay" on summer afternoons in order to get the free juice overnight all year? That's how the plan works with Georgia Power, which really bugs me but I'll still come out ahead by probably $1000/yr vs the traditional power rate plan around here. Eager for solar roof+battery so I can cut off Georgia Power entirely; they deserve nothing less.

21K in just 5 months? Wow..

Yep, I will easily put 50,000 miles on it within the first year. The vehicle that I replaced had over 350,000 miles on it.

It’s intersting though with electric cars mileage really is irrelevant. Kind of like using any type of electronic device. I don’t worry about how many hours I use my phone. Tesla even has mileage buried in the UI. I know I will have some battery degradation but no much else to worry about.

With my past ICE’s, once you get to extremely high mileage it cost a lot of money to keep them running. I would typically spend $1,000-$1,500 a year in repair cost just to keep them going.

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad
Yep, I will easily put 50,000 miles on it within the first year. The vehicle that I replaced had over 350,000 miles on it.

It’s intersting though with electric cars mileage really is irrelevant. Kind of like using any type of electronic device. I don’t worry about how many hours I use my phone. Tesla even has mileage buried in the UI. I know I will have some battery degradation but no much else to worry about.

With my past ICE’s, once you get to extremely high mileage it cost a lot of money to keep them running. I would typically spend $1,000-$1,500 a year in repair cost just to keep them going.

It’s not irrelevant. The seats, suspension, and everything else are still going to wear. The door handles. Trunk and frunk struts. Door and window seals. Window motor. The coolant pump. AC system.

Etc etc etc.

The motor and battery are just more of a replacement line item than a maintain item. The question is if the model 3 will really have a million mile drivetrain. I doubt it, but we will see eventually I suppose.

You're making me feel much better about blowing through my warranty period in two years (50k). I wish warranties were time-based rather than mileage-based, since I too don't believe that miles hurt a 21st century vehicle the way years do. So I'm just hoping that either Tesla cranks out an extended warranty offer sometime this year, or that the burps and hiccups of the early builds are fully vetted before I get to 50k.

It’s not irrelevant. The seats, suspension, and everything else are still going to wear. The door handles. Trunk and frunk struts. Door and window seals. Window motor. The coolant pump. AC system.

Etc etc etc.

Yeah, I get it. There are some items that will need to be replaced regardless of vehicle type. Suspension, tires, bearings, hubs, etc but half the items you mentioned I have never ever considered replacing. Additionally the majority of items you mentioned have more to do with age of the vehicle and not the amount of miles on it.

I have been through two ICE vehicles that I have put well over 300,000 miles and learned a lot about how ICE vehicles age. I am pretty confident that maintence cost and repairs cost should be far less for the Model 3 on it’s way to 300,000 miles. So far I have already saved about $500 in oil changes as well as $1,000 in fuel cost.

You're making me feel much better about blowing through my warranty period in two years (50k). I wish warranties were time-based rather than mileage-based, since I too don't believe that miles hurt a 21st century vehicle the way years do. So I'm just hoping that either Tesla cranks out an extended warranty offer sometime this year, or that the burps and hiccups of the early builds are fully vetted before I get to 50k.

Agreed, I was a little disappointed with the 50,000 mile waranty but it is pretty much industry standard. Powertrain is still good for 120,000 miles and that is what really matters.

Yeah, I get it. There are some items that will need to be replaced regardless of vehicle type. Suspension, tires, bearings, hubs, etc but half the items you mentioned I have never ever considered replacing. Additionally the majority of items you mentioned have more to do with age of the vehicle and not the amount of miles on it.

I have been through two ICE vehicles that I have put well over 300,000 miles and learned a lot about how ICE vehicles age. I am pretty confident that maintence cost and repairs cost should be far less for the Model 3 on it’s way to 300,000 miles. So far I have already saved about $500 in oil changes as well as $1,000 in fuel cost.

Fair enough. I intend to sell the car before I run out of warranty but godspeed to those who go for the long run. That said, if year 2 and 3 go smoother than year 1, I might keep it longer.

I should be honest with myself and admit that the deciding factor in how long I keep the car is really going to be how long it takes Tesla to release a good shade of blue, and offer cooled seats. Once that happens I’m gonna start considering a Performance model I suspect.

Fair enough. I intend to sell the car before I run out of warranty but godspeed to those who go for the long run. That said, if year 2 and 3 go smoother than year 1, I might keep it longer.

I should be honest with myself and admit that the deciding factor in how long I keep the car is really going to be how long it takes Tesla to release a good shade of blue, and offer cooled seats. Once that happens I’m gonna start considering a Performance model I suspect.
I drive cars until the wheels fall off or until the maintenance cost each year gets obscene (farewell, BMW).
That said, I will be waiting for my Model Y until the first 6-12 months of production has come and gone.
I early-adopted Model 3 to obtain the full tax credit, but with that no longer a motivator I logically expect to defer my Y purchase until the production kinks have been sorted out. Presumably those will occur pretty quickly, given the ~75% content overlap with 3.
But yeah. AC seats, and a heated steering wheel, are hopefully on the feature list for Model Y out of the gate.
My freaking 2012 Nissan LEAF has a heated steering wheel, for chrissakes. This isn't exactly a 'luxury vehicle' feature.

Yes. I pay 2c more per kWh during day time. But in the end I come out ahead only because I have a Tesla.
Dang that is awesome. With Georgia Power, the peak rate goes up from ~15 cents to ~25 cents/kwh during summer weekdays between 2-7pm when on the EV rate plan. For my LEAF, this has meant a ~push vs the traditional rate plan. But with now the Model 3 AND the LEAF, rough math says I'll save about $1000/yr on the EV rate plan with Georgia Power.

2 cent premium is amazing and a no-brainer...go TXU!!!