Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Arachnids coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how I feel about those wheels, they just look large and a bit clunky for some reason to me. The turbines are just so good.

Taste is a funny thing. :)

I love the more linear type of wheels, such as the Arachnids. Not just on Tesla, but this is my taste in general. I absolutely despise the turbines and for me they are one more reason why the 21-22" Tesla wheels are a bad idea. I don't even like the current slipstreams, too "streamy" for me. I do like the 19″ 5-spoke and 20" Silver Helix designs on the X, well they are good enough anyway.

With Arachnids, I might reconsider my view on the larger wheels (despite the obvious issues), because they look best of the bunch to me. In fact, they look darn good.

Reactions: CSFTN
Taste is a funny thing. :)

I love the more linear type of wheels, such as the Arachnids. Not just on Tesla, but this is my taste in general. I absolutely despise the turbines and for me they are one more reason why the 21-22" Tesla wheels are a bad idea. I don't even like the current slipstreams, too "streamy" for me. I do like the 19″ 5-spoke and 20" Silver Helix designs on the X, well they are good enough anyway.

With Arachnids, I might reconsider my view on the larger wheels (despite the obvious issues), because they look best of the bunch to me. In fact, they look darn good.
These are my least favorite
IMG_20170212_160354.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
These are my least favorite
View attachment 214425

Yes, I believe those are the 19″ 5-spoke in Tesla parlance. I like them probably the best of the 19/20" alternatives that have been available in Teslas so far. Tastes are different, for sure.

I get it that the turbines are popular. They just don't work for me at all. It appears my design sensibilities dislike "bendy" shapes in wheels. Judging by my wheel history, I seem to be partial to more "linear" wheels. Those Arachnids look very good to me.

Reactions: GTIceman
I asked one question and the price jumped $500. No more questions.
(0 Bids)
Current Bid: $3,600.00
Auction ends Feb 17, 2017 11:10 PST

(0 Bids)
Current Bid: $4,100.00
Auction ends Feb 17, 2017 11:10 PST

IMHO, overpriced. I've got a set coming in March or April for $4,000 with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, which are worth over $1,000. In this case $4,000 buys the wheels only. But if one is impatient you'll get them quickly.

Agreed. $4,100 is over market price.
Here is a complete set of Turbines for $800 ... no affiliation :cool:

21" Tesla Model S Non staggered turbines, full set, 2012-2016 Factory OEM wheels | eBay

And lower unsprung weight also provides handling benefits, right?

Correct.

Why are these wheels named Arachnids when they have 10 "legs"? (and not 8 like a spider does)

8 legs plus 2 antennae :cool: Arachnid - Wikipedia

Arachnids are a class (Arachnida) of joint-legged invertebrate animals (arthropods), in the subphylum Chelicerata. All arachnids have eight legs, although the front pair of legs in some species has converted to a sensory function, while in other species, different appendages can grow large enough to take on the appearance of extra pairs of legs.
The term is derived from the Greek word ἀράχνη (aráchnē), meaning "spider".[1] Spiders are the largest order in the class.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I just received my new Arachnid's yesterday. Since I got to use the Tesla Mobile Service, I was able to weigh the old and new tires/rims myself:

Original tires/rims: 19" rims, Goodyear Eagle Touring M+S 245/45R19 98W, (55.2 lbs ea * 4 = 220.8 lbs total)

New tires/rims: 21" rims, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Front - 245/35 ZR21 (54.0 lbs * 2 = 108.0 lbs)
Rear - 265/35 ZR21 (57.4 lbs * 2 = 114.8 lbs)
Total weight = 222.8 lbs, for net gain of 2 lbs.

I was bummed, as I was hoping for moderate weight reduction due to some other post mentioning saving of 7-10lbs/wheel!