Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 Model YP slower than M3 w/ AB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently bought a used 21 MYP, and while it’s quick, I was a bit disappointed by the acceleration. It just didn’t feel as quick as I expected.

I had to bring it in to Tesla because the door was groaning loudly when opened, and they gave me a 2018 M3 with AB as a loaner. This thing is noticeably faster than my MYP. My wife even noticed it right away - the M3 is a gut pushing acceleration, while the MYP is fast, but always comfortable.

Anyone else have experience comparing the two? Is there something wrong with my MYP? I have gotten a “front motor temporarily disabled” error a few times, and the car is obviously much slower when that happens. Is it possible it has slightly reduced power all the time, it’s just not telling me?

Any message such as "front motor temporarily disabled" is definitely a problem. I would think you would want to have Tesla address that error versus a creaking door.

You did not provide the battery state of charge (SOC) for the PMY. When the SOC is less than ~70% then maximum power output will be reduced. If you are used to getting maximum acceleration on demand you probably would notice the difference.

Last edited:
Tesla is also investigating the motor issue, no worries there. Though I’m not too hopeful, since I’ve read other posts where they just say it’s a firmware problem that will be fixed in an eventual update.

I guess I’m mainly surprised because the posted 0-60 times for M3+AB and MYP are 3.7s and 3.5s, respectively. So I wouldn’t expect the M3 to feel noticeably faster… but the seat of the pants difference is night and day. To the point where the wife wouldn’t let me floor it in the M3 because it was too fast, but no such complaint with the MYP.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Tesla is also investigating the motor issue, no worries there. Though I’m not too hopeful, since I’ve read other posts where they just say it’s a firmware problem that will be fixed in an eventual update.

I guess I’m mainly surprised because the posted 0-60 times for M3+AB and MYP are 3.7s and 3.5s, respectively. So I wouldn’t expect the M3 to feel noticeably faster… but the seat of the pants difference is night and day. To the point where the wife wouldn’t let me floor it in the M3 because it was too fast, but no such complaint with the MYP.
Plenty of PMY owners report 0 - 60 times of 3.6 seconds. I'm not sure you can expect 3.5 sec runs with a passenger too. You can shave 1/10th second or a little more off the PMY time with smaller, lighter wheels.

Plenty of PMY owners report 0 - 60 times of 3.6 seconds. I'm not sure you can expect 3.5 sec runs with a passenger too. You can shave 1/10th second or a little more off the PMY time with smaller, lighter wheels.
I have lighter 19” wheels, so already there. Even so, that’s still about the same as the M3, but the M3 is clearly faster.

I think I need to get a draggy and just measure it.

Reactions: jcanoe
A buddy with a couple year old M3 AB drove my 2023 MYP and it felt a little faster to him. I haven’t driven the M3 so I cannot confirm or deny. They seem like they would be close enough that it would be hard to tell the difference. Maybe you are mostly feeling the body roll/suspension difference.

So I recently bought a used 21 MYP, and while it’s quick, I was a bit disappointed by the acceleration. It just didn’t feel as quick as I expected.

I had to bring it in to Tesla because the door was groaning loudly when opened, and they gave me a 2018 M3 with AB as a loaner. This thing is noticeably faster than my MYP. My wife even noticed it right away - the M3 is a gut pushing acceleration, while the MYP is fast, but always comfortable.

Anyone else have experience comparing the two? Is there something wrong with my MYP? I have gotten a “front motor temporarily disabled” error a few times, and the car is obviously much slower when that happens. Is it possible it has slightly reduced power all the time, it’s just not telling me?
All things being equal, the two cars (MYP vs. M3LR+AB) are pretty close to the same 0-60. Car & Driver timed the MYP at 3.6 seconds. They clocked the M3LR at 4.1 seconds. So, if you deduct another 0.5 seconds, that equals the MYP.

It is super hard to judge based on feel, other than a clock. Both cars are very close to linear until 60, so there should not be any sensation of acceleration "out of the hole." Both are going to pull a flat ~ 0.76 G the whole way.

I guess I’m mainly surprised because the posted 0-60 times for M3+AB and MYP are 3.7s and 3.5s, respectively.
I think that the MYP figures are quoted with a rollout. The M3+AB is likely without rollout. That'd make the actual M3+AB figure ~.1 second quicker.

I wouldn't have expected that to be noticeable, but I would expect them to be very similar.

I don’t think it will be any quicker. I’ve bought a MYP to have alongside our M3P and even though 0-60 speeds are just 0.03 seconds slower in the MYP the difference in feel is out of this world, the M3P turns your guts and makes you feel dizzy. The MYP never. Having said that it hits the advertised 0-60 so it’s not slow. I guess it’s just size and mass of the car doesn’t feel quick

I don’t think it will be any quicker. I’ve bought a MYP to have alongside our M3P and even though 0-60 speeds are just 0.03 seconds slower in the MYP the difference in feel is out of this world, the M3P turns your guts and makes you feel dizzy. The MYP never. Having said that it hits the advertised 0-60 so it’s not slow. I guess it’s just size and mass of the car doesn’t feel quick
The fun way I like to think about it is how many Gs is the car pulling. Acceleration in both cars is relatively linear until you get past 60 MPH, so in a 0-60 run, the MYP is pulling 0.79G and the M3P is pulling 0.89G. If you are a 200 lb. driver, that would feel like another 20 lbs. of force against the seat. That is a lot of force.

Its nearly a half second difference. That's pretty significant when you are in the 3-3.5 second range.