Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(21 Plaid) Something is popping when my wheel turns or the car moves at low speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is popping when my wheels experience any sort of tension (like slightly turning the yoke or when starting and stopping).

It sounds like a component that is under high fastener tension, like a steering link, ball joint, universal joint, wheel stud, etc...

I took a short video in the garage while the wife turned the yoke.

I understand that some sounds when turning a wheel are normal, but this sounds unusual. I added it to a service appointment for next Thursday.

For reference the car only has 3000 miles on it.

Here it is in Drive, Reverse, and Neutral making same sounds with brakes not applied.

Edit: I just want to add that while annoying, I don't think this is a symptom of a dangerous problem. Just an annoyance. I was planning on carrying the car into service to get my hood latch fixed (has issues releasing fully) so it was just convenient to add this to it.

Last edited:
I just verified that:

* All front lug nuts are at 130ft/lbs (Official spec is 128/129 I think. So they weren't loose.
* Front axle nuts have at least 100ft/lbs of torque on them (I don't know what the official torque is and was afraid to test higher without the spec)
* Brake calipers, pads, and heat shields are not creaking and are free of debris.

So I can probably verify that this noise is most likely not brake related.

Edit: when testing the axle nut torque I started at 45ft/lbs and gradually raised to 100. The nut did not move at all and the torque wrench clicked. I simply chose to go no further just to be safe until I know the official spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Sounds like it's coming from the suspension joints. Some binding is not atypical and can cause that sorts of creaking noise, especially right after driving in the rain. When turning your wheel, you are basically jacking the front end slightly due to caster.

Try bouncing the front end of the car, while the car is parked, and see if you hear the same creaks.

If not, then could be the steering rack & pinion.

Sounds like it's coming from the suspension joints. Some binding is not atypical and can cause that sorts of creaking noise, especially right after driving in the rain. When turning your wheel, you are basically jacking the front end slightly due to caster.

Try bouncing the front end of the car, while the car is parked, and see if you hear the same creaks.

If not, then could be the steering rack & pinion.
I am unable to force it to make these sounds by bouncing it by hand.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue but more severe. Additionally, my wheels make an incredibly loud, sudden sound when the yoke is turned all the way (either way) and slowly driving forward or backwards, as if something is breaking in the car.
That last bit *might* be normal. If so it's due to the agressive tire width and weight of the vehicle. It's actually the force of the tires skipping along the ground that causes it. If you want to test for it, drive over an expansion joint in some concrete then back over it while turning sharply, the car will "skip" when it goes over the joint which is some.of that tremendous pressure from the tire grip being released suddenly.

If not it's a loose suspension component.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat
So I took the frunk panels off and gave a listen while the wife gently steered the car, put my hands on the sway bar linkage, the steering rack, upper and lower control arm, could not find the cracking sound... BUT I did manage to isolate it to the driver's side, somewhere near the lower control arm

So my money is now on either loose sway bar link bolt, lower control arm bolt, rack and pinion bolt or the unit itself, or possibly the subframe bolts in that area.

And what do you know, the guy from the video (@ViperGuy) also isolated to his driver side lower control arm:
Screenshot_20220114-233048.png

and that was my hunch (see my earlier response). Try spraying that joint with some lithium grease and then cycle the ride height from high to low several times.

Oddly if I put my weight on the a pillar and jump up and down and make the car shake, it's not enough to cause the creak. Guess 6'2" 210lbs isn't fat enough haha. I should put my jack under the driver puck area and gently lift/release to see if it happens then.

It’s concerning that this is occurring in many of the Model S and tesla doesn’t seem to be able to fix it.

Can’t say I’m savvy enough to understand vipers explanation, but essentially trying to figure out how likely that is to happen to all the cars and how complicated the fix is.

It’s concerning that this is occurring in many of the Model S and tesla doesn’t seem to be able to fix it.

Can’t say I’m savvy enough to understand vipers explanation, but essentially trying to figure out how likely that is to happen to all the cars and how complicated the fix is.
If it is an issue with the lower control arm mount -- it's a fairly trivial fix if they figure it out. You just need experience and/or special equipment to do it safely.

edit: But yeah it's pretty annoying given the car's cost.

Last edited: