Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(21 Plaid) Something is popping when my wheel turns or the car moves at low speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just writing back that Tesla ended up replacing my front stabilizer bar link.

If re-torquing your front skid plate/sub-frame doesn’t work, this might be worth a shot.

4ADA45F7-4780-4CE3-A43B-402E495994B5.jpeg

I have tried everything (bash plate cleaning and putting some insulation there, checked the suspension for anything loose, lubricating all possible nuts, end links and control arms are also relatively new, an year old) but cannot seem to get rid of this clicking noise. Service center people in Tulsa, OK say that it is normal noise and even newer cars make such noises (weird response!!). The manager says to sell the car if I am not happy with it. The only couple of other things left as brake cleaning and may be CV axle joint is making that noise. When I park the car and move the wheel the noise still comes as it comes while turning and moving at slow speeds (mostly on turn and on some uneven surfaces). Brake seems less of the possibility but could be! Using the stethoscope, the noise seem to be coming from driver side wheel well. Sort of driving me nuts as to what could be the cause of it. I also put grease in the boots with a needle. Nothing seems to be making the noise less. The car was in warranty till a few days back and now it is out of warranty. I have tried calling 800 number and they say regional manager will call me but no over has called so far. How do I put a formal complaint with the HQ. Please help.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I have tried everything (bash plate cleaning and putting some insulation there, checked the suspension for anything loose, lubricating all possible nuts, end links and control arms are also relatively new, an year old) but cannot seem to get rid of this clicking noise. Service center people in Tulsa, OK say that it is normal noise and even newer cars make such noises (weird response!!). The manager says to sell the car if I am not happy with it. The only couple of other things left as brake cleaning and may be CV axle joint is making that noise. When I park the car and move the wheel the noise still comes as it comes while turning and moving at slow speeds (mostly on turn and on some uneven surfaces). Brake seems less of the possibility but could be! Using the stethoscope, the noise seem to be coming from driver side wheel well. Sort of driving me nuts as to what could be the cause of it. I also put grease in the boots with a needle. Nothing seems to be making the noise less. The car was in warranty till a few days back and now it is out of warranty. I have tried calling 800 number and they say regional manager will call me but no over has called so far. How do I put a formal complaint with the HQ. Please help.

@MarcG yes, not sure. I do like the car but noises are very annoying. I also have a Sun roof squeaking from the rivets of the brackets above headliner only when it gets too hot (more than 75 F).
After 8 years of owning 3 Teslas and dozens of referrals, I have stopped recommending them to friends and colleagues. Quality out of the factory is hit or miss (mostly miss), and more annoyingly, service is getting rapidly worse with poor worksmanship and terrible attitude. This Plaid will be my last Tesla. Let’s see what the EV will look like in a few years, but I am not hopeful for Tesla (maybe that’s why Elon is investing in Optimus and other non-vehicle bets..)

After 8 years of owning 3 Teslas and dozens of referrals, I have stopped recommending them to friends and colleagues. Quality out of the factory is hit or miss (mostly miss), and more annoyingly, service is getting rapidly worse with poor worksmanship and terrible attitude. This Plaid will be my last Tesla. Let’s see what the EV will look like in a few years, but I am not hopeful for Tesla (maybe that’s why Elon is investing in Optimus and other non-vehicle bets..)

Agreed. My Plaid has the worst build quality of the five I've owned since 2015.

I think the 3/Y has been mostly solid recently, but I'm not sure. Service is certainly a disaster now. It's unfortunate.

I was able to figure out the noise. It is coming from the movement of the bracket that holds the sway bar bushing. Tried putting some grease and double tape between the metal and the bushing plate, the noise did not stop. Eventually when I put some hard plastic sheets between the top of the bracket and the underbody of the car, the noise stopped. Seems either the bracket or the bolt housing for the sway bar bushing nut is creaking. It was so difficult to figure out where the noise was originating and it was none of the previously reported fixes (bash plate or loose bolt or brake cleaning or spline lubrication).

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 172
I was able to figure out the noise. It is coming from the movement of the bracket that holds the sway bar bushing. Tried putting some grease and double tape between the metal and the bushing plate, the noise did not stop. Eventually when I put some hard plastic sheets between the top of the bracket and the underbody of the car, the noise stopped. Seems either the bracket or the bolt housing for the sway bar bushing nut is creaking. It was so difficult to figure out where the noise was originating and it was none of the previously reported fixes (bash plate or loose bolt or brake cleaning or spline lubrication).
What kind of noise were you getting? Was it a creaking sound when going over bumps?

It was a creak when turning the steering or going over the bumps. The noise was more from driver side, that is where when I put the pry bar under the sway bar the noise replicated. It was very less on the passenger side. I applied the same fix both sides.

I'm on my way to pick up my car now from service. Hopefully they fixed my creaking sound. Here's what the invoice says:

"Removed splash shield and loosened front sway bar bushing brackets. Cleaned mating surfaces.Checked and verified torque on front suspension components. Performed vehicle road test andunable to re-duplicate the front suspension/chassis noise. Using speed bump performed severalattempts to recreate the noise on driver, passenger and then both sides during suspension actuation.After multiple attempts was able to duplicate concern on final road test. After driving found upperstrut brace making clicking sound on driver side. Removed and re-torqued strut brace, torqued superreservoir, VCBatt and top strut nuts. Performed multiple road tests under prescribed conditions andhave been unable to re-duplicate the noise."

I'm on my way to pick up my car now from service. Hopefully they fixed my creaking sound. Here's what the invoice says:

"Removed splash shield and loosened front sway bar bushing brackets. Cleaned mating surfaces.Checked and verified torque on front suspension components. Performed vehicle road test andunable to re-duplicate the front suspension/chassis noise. Using speed bump performed severalattempts to recreate the noise on driver, passenger and then both sides during suspension actuation.After multiple attempts was able to duplicate concern on final road test. After driving found upperstrut brace making clicking sound on driver side. Removed and re-torqued strut brace, torqued superreservoir, VCBatt and top strut nuts. Performed multiple road tests under prescribed conditions andhave been unable to re-duplicate the noise."

No luck. Still has the same noise. They didn't fix it.

No luck. Still has the same noise. They didn't fix it.
Sorry to hear, but I’m frankly not surprised. There’s been some shady stuff happening with service centers as of late. Either they claim they test drove it and couldn’t reproduce, where in fact they didn’t even bother doing a proper test drive (if any at all), or they claim they repaired the issue and it’s so obvious the issue is still present. My conspiracy theory is that Tesla is trying to avoid having to buy back cars through lemon law claims, and are using these BS service invoices as “proof” that they did attempt to repair issues “in good faith”…