Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" wheel runout spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Long shot, but was wondering if anyone knew what the lateral runout spec for the 21" wheels are.

I just bought 4 wheels off ebay. 2 of the wheels have a lateral runout of about 1 mm and seem like they'd be fine. The other two have a runout of 3mm which seems way too much.

I don't know anything specific for Tesla, but much of the data I found around the Internet suggests that for aluminum wheels, peak-to-peak radial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, peak-to-peak axial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, and total combined peak-to-peak runout should not exceed 0.030 inches.

0.030 inches = 0.5 mm, so by these standards all 4 of those wheels probably should be straightened before use.

I don't know anything specific for Tesla, but much of the data I found around the Internet suggests that for aluminum wheels, peak-to-peak radial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, peak-to-peak axial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, and total combined peak-to-peak runout should not exceed 0.030 inches.

0.030 inches = 0.5 mm, so by these standards all 4 of those wheels probably should be straightened before use.

They're going to replace all 4 wheels and personally inspect each one before boxing them up. They're also paying the shipping back. So a bit of a delay but the seller is really stepping up.