TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

21" wheel runout spec?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sorka, Feb 9, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Long shot, but was wondering if anyone knew what the lateral runout spec for the 21" wheels are.

I just bought 4 wheels off ebay. 2 of the wheels have a lateral runout of about 1 mm and seem like they'd be fine. The other two have a runout of 3mm which seems way too much.

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I don't know anything specific for Tesla, but much of the data I found around the Internet suggests that for aluminum wheels, peak-to-peak radial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, peak-to-peak axial runout should not exceed 0.010 - 0.015 inches, and total combined peak-to-peak runout should not exceed 0.030 inches.

0.030 inches = 0.5 mm, so by these standards all 4 of those wheels probably should be straightened before use.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

They're going to replace all 4 wheels and personally inspect each one before boxing them up. They're also paying the shipping back. So a bit of a delay but the seller is really stepping up.