Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2170 vs 4680/Standard vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When considering MY 4680 vs. LR range difference don’t forget to throw in battery degradation, cold weather, headwinds, new tires, etc. that impact efficiency. Bottom line is many people will want the highest possible “EPA range” starting point to account for all of these factors.

I'm researching the AWD vs the LR and this is one difference that I've dismissed as being irrelevant. First if you charge to 80% that reduces the difference in range. Then if you account for real world factors it probably reduces your range roughly about another 70% on average depending on conditions. So you're looking at about 28-30 miles of actual difference in range. Want proof? If you route plan a trip you'll come up with the same number of required stops almost every time. The only difference is a small amount of extra time to charge the AWD. An example is on a 1400 mile trip, same amount of stops and a total of an hour of extra charging spread over 9 stops. On a 700 mile trip it is 4 stops with an extra 11 minutes of charging.

The differences that I'm trying to figure out are which battery is supposed to last longer, 4680 or 2170, and does the newer AWD come with the hairpin DU which is supposed to have a longer life due to less heat being generated. Hopefully I'm not missing any other considerations.
I went with the Austin 4680 AWD. No regrets.