Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21's or 22's on my 2018 Model S 75D?

21's or 22's on my 2018 Model S 75D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Midwest, and I've put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 19" slipstreams so these are my dedicated winter wheels. The thing tracks like a snowmobile, couldn't be happier.

I've started shopping for summer wheels, and the first instinct was 21's. I did have one vendor suggest 22's because it does look super aggressive... but, I'm a very active driver (9 months owned and 23K miles on my car) and don't want to have to baby my way around everywhere I go. Let's face it, I will be doing that enough with fresh black 21's ;)

Any advice?

Don't know how the roads are in your area but 21's are already super fragile.. I would even suggest 20's. One pothole and you can easily blow out a tire and bend a rim on 21's

Roads are pretty good, mostly rural/suburban and a main highway (Madison WI). I shied away from 20's just because I feel like they won't look much different than 19's on a car so big. I do a lot of road trips as well, if that helps prompt more insight...?

thanks Nick

Reactions: Nick B
I've got my stock 19", aftermarket 20s, and the Arachnid 21s. The most comfortable and the ones that I have to worry the least about damage are the 19s. The 21s ride noticeably rougher than the 19s. My 20s are a nice compromise between the two. I don't think that I would ever get 22s due to the fear of damage, rougher ride, etc....especially if you are doing road trips. 22s also look a little too big for my tastes...getting near the "Donk" look.

7F136C9B-9481-458D-8090-3D0FC70FAE7C.jpeg
AE290871-B89D-43E6-8054-C3326FE97658.jpeg
A9333D44-38C2-47A0-A1E7-F1E2D6F74149.jpeg
059876CE-8300-44E9-B4C7-1A2A53319EA2.jpeg
I had 19s and then tried 21s on a friend’s P90D and it was way too harsh and louder. I went with the 20s and they’re not noticeably different from a ride and noise perspective as the 19s, but look and have a more aggressive bite. A few 19 (silver) and 20 (grey) photos for comparison.

I would vote for 21”s, but haven’t rode on 22”s so I couldn’t chime in on ride quality.

I had 19” cyclones and moved to 21” arachnids. The ride was a little bit rougher but the overall appearance was well worth it. I’m in NorCal and the roads are pretty good and don’t need to deal w snow or really bad weather here.

I recently went to 21” turbines and surprisingly they seem to ride a little smoother than the arachnids but they are hevier and although I’m losing some range, I’m not too concerned. I rarely drive where I’m pushing my range limit,

Tires for turbines (or any square set) is going to be less than arachnids (or staggered set) so that is also a factor to consider. I’m not sure if 22” tires are less expensive than 21”s, but you may want to factor that into your decision.

View attachment 366160 View attachment 366161 View attachment 366163 View attachment 366162 I had 19s and then tried 21s on a friend’s P90D and it was way too harsh and louder. I went with the 20s and they’re not noticeably different from a ride and noise perspective as the 19s, but look and have a more aggressive bite. A few 19 (silver) and 20 (grey) photos for comparison.

I see that you went with T motorsport... nice! Also, congrats on getting a sunroof and roof rack... I made it just in time on that model S option as well!!

View attachment 366160 View attachment 366161 View attachment 366163 View attachment 366162 I had 19s and then tried 21s on a friend’s P90D and it was way too harsh and louder. I went with the 20s and they’re not noticeably different from a ride and noise perspective as the 19s, but look and have a more aggressive bite. A few 19 (silver) and 20 (grey) photos for comparison.
These look like the TST 20s. I put the same ones on my car, for winter. I use the twin turbine 21s in the summer.

There’s an old thread somewhere about people with 20s... dozens of pix including mine. I swapped my 21s for 20s after 3 sidewall blowouts. The 21 setup is fragile as hell. I swear, a pebble will do it. 22s would be insane unless you own a tire store.

Go 20. You can find very aggressive looking wheels, and that 1” really stands out vs 19.

My advice is to stick with 19". You will significantly reduce range with larger wheels, and as your battery degrades on a 75 kWh battery, you will truly start to wish you had more. Trips from home that I usually made at 90% charge, I now have to go to 100%. I hope they build a Supercharger between me and my usual destination soon.

If I had 21" wheels, I'd be offering to sell them to you!

I see that you went with T motorsport... nice! Also, congrats on getting a sunroof and roof rack... I made it just in time on that model S option as well!!
Yep. These are the TSportLine 20s. Very reasonably priced and great quality. I absolutely love the roof rack, even with the “get a truck and don’t ruin this beauty”, “that’s... unique”, etc comments. This is a car - an awesome car - but just that, a car that I use everyday. 20s are great for everyday driving too.

Roads are pretty good, mostly rural/suburban and a main highway (Madison WI). I shied away from 20's just because I feel like they won't look much different than 19's on a car so big. I do a lot of road trips as well, if that helps prompt more insight...?

thanks Nick

So it really comes down to the quality of the roads. The S is a heavy car so the 21s are risky. Sure the look is really better with the 21's but you might change your mind once you've replaced a few rims and tires. The problem with the 21's is the side of the tires... it's very slim.

Reactions: kingleonidas
I literally just removed my 22"s about an hour ago. I was on stock 19"s and they were great, but I wanted an aftermarket wheel and the more aggressive look. I went with 22" Vossens and they look sooooo damn good. I got compliments on the wheels alone, let alone put together with the entire car. I took it to the body shop and everyone there loved how agressive the car looked.

The catch for me is that i got them because i love the agressive/sporty look on cars (I have a Lexus also on Vossens but 20") but i commute 100 miles to work every day and 100 back home. I did this for a couple of months on the 22" sand the ride wasnt too bad. Maybe im just not particularly picky, but the ride wasnt too bad. I did feel the road a little more and of course bumps/holes you can definitely feel them. but i know my commute and know where to avoid the few bad areas. Other than that my commute road is very clean. Needless to say, i didnt mind the ride, what was killing me was the range!! I immediately noticed it was taking up to 40 miles of additional range to commute 100 miles. So at work i would have to plug in my car much longer, which was starting to add up and not making sense. I finally took them off today. I already miss the look, but with such a far commute i dont want to keep sucking up that much electricty, and also ruin such a beautiful set of wheels. If i didnt travel so much, I'd 100% keep them!

Does anyone have any info/advice on how well their 20"s did on range? I'm going to sell these 22" and get 20"s if they help my range.