Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" wheels can only tow 3,500 lbs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 2019 Model X Dual Motor with 22’s. I just towed my 2008 Malibu Wakesetter 21 VLX (3600lb) over 70 miles and over two mountain ranges with zero issue. I’m not saying that anyone should go against the suggested 3500 lb towing capacity, but I had no other options to tow my boat to my vacation home and it pulled the boat like a champ. I had no issues launching the boat and picking it up on a 15-20 degree ramp. The ride was smooth and I didn’t even feel like there was a boat behind me.

You're probably fine, until you aren't. In your case, it's not like you were towing 5k with 22"s. Typically, it's not a great idea to tow at max capacity. With the X, it's less about the actual torque to move what you are towing and more about the load capacity (which goes up with 20"s).

I can be loose with some things but I try to be careful when towing. That's a nice boat! If you were to have an incident I doubt your insurance would pay out because of your load limit.