Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

23 LR vs 23 Performance Eibach springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a 2022 or 2023 M3P using the long range Eibach lowering springs? They have different part numbers, and different drops, but seeing that the new M3P is now the same ride height as the LR anyone install the LR springs on a P?

I'm thinking of giving that a try. I don't like the 1" F vs 1.4" R drop, I'd rather have an equal drop height.

don't bother, they are waste of your time.
I assume they are referring to the simple truth that lowering springs alone will significantly degrade your suspension performance. You are trading off significant performance in how the car works while moving for how it looks while parked. Seeing as cars are designed to move, it is a poor tradeoff to make most the time. People who know cars consider lowering springs pure RICE. As in Race Inspired Cosmetic Ehancement. They may help you look like a race car, but that is all. A stock car would embarrass you on the track. No question.

Put simply, shock absorbers are designed to control the spring. If you change the spring, best practice is to change what controls it which is the shock absorber. When I say best practice, I mean anyone who has a clue about what they are doing. Lower springs are for the young and ignorant or those who only care about a photo. You can do it if you want, but there is a reason you won't see any. 50 year old auto enthusiast with them, and it is not that they can't afford them. It's because they have experience and know better. The engineers, who know best, probably want to punch the lowering spring industry in the face.

To be fair, I have no experience with any lowering springs on any Tesla and am pretty new to the Tesla community. Lowering springs seem to be much more prevalent here than any other car group I have been involved with. I think this is a reflection of different priorities of the Tesla community from the sports car communities I have come from. The sports car people are wanting to increase performance which lower spring alone certainly won't accomplish. I think there are more Tesla people that are just concerned with appearances, which lower springs are a cheap option for. I just post this because there are plenty of people without any understanding of how the suspension works that may not understand the decisions they are making until it is too late. There are also too many people who will recommend them without any understanding.

Good advice would be to either save your money and keep it stock, or also make a corresponding change in your shock absorber and anything else needed to correct the alignment.

@Clover appreciate the response. It's pretty obvious that coilovers are the better route for multiple reasons, however my concern is the longevity of them after years of winter weather conditions. Half the year we are driving in snow and salt and I have read hear that seems to be an issue.

Tesla never discloses their spring rates, it is hard to make a judgement if the P suspension will ruin the handling. In my town, quite a few LR upgraded with P springs, the owners ended up buying something else (from aftermarket springs to coilovers), I have driven them and compared with my KW, obviously P suspension is hardly any different from LR one.

I know how it feels driving in snow for half a year, better stick with stock then anything else.

i agree don’t bother. The issue with tesla 3s have to be the shocks. It is underwhelming and causes weird rebound and damping issues, esp when you add aftermarket springs to the stock shocks. Maybe get some used spring and test it out. There’s always a set in the for sale forum. Find a set with stock shocks and they will save you time and money. But the trend I see here is most will upgrade to Coilovers when they try out springs.

I assume they are referring to the simple truth that lowering springs alone will significantly degrade your suspension performance. You are trading off significant performance in how the car works while moving for how it looks while parked. Seeing as cars are designed to move, it is a poor tradeoff to make most the time. People who know cars consider lowering springs pure RICE. As in Race Inspired Cosmetic Ehancement. They may help you look like a race car, but that is all. A stock car would embarrass you on the track. No question.

Put simply, shock absorbers are designed to control the spring. If you change the spring, best practice is to change what controls it which is the shock absorber. When I say best practice, I mean anyone who has a clue about what they are doing. Lower springs are for the young and ignorant or those who only care about a photo. You can do it if you want, but there is a reason you won't see any. 50 year old auto enthusiast with them, and it is not that they can't afford them. It's because they have experience and know better. The engineers, who know best, probably want to punch the lowering spring industry in the face.

To be fair, I have no experience with any lowering springs on any Tesla and am pretty new to the Tesla community. Lowering springs seem to be much more prevalent here than any other car group I have been involved with. I think this is a reflection of different priorities of the Tesla community from the sports car communities I have come from. The sports car people are wanting to increase performance which lower spring alone certainly won't accomplish. I think there are more Tesla people that are just concerned with appearances, which lower springs are a cheap option for. I just post this because there are plenty of people without any understanding of how the suspension works that may not understand the decisions they are making until it is too late. There are also too many people who will recommend them without any understanding.

Good advice would be to either save your money and keep it stock, or also make a corresponding change in your shock absorber and anything else needed to correct the alignment.
sorry, but this just isnt true...I'm 50 and have my Porsche lowered with H&R Sport springs and know many others with Porsche, BMW, NSX owners over 50 with lowering springs...this is just bad info. They wouldnt sell too many if they were as bad as you make them out to be...The right springs installed properly will enhance performance of any vehicle....We arent taking about slammed parking lot princesses, we are talking about functional performance enhancing lowering springs...Lowering springs are a popular upgrade for car enthusiasts of all levels. It’s an easier and cheaper way to lower your vehicle without changing your stock dampers or compromising on comfort levels. No matter your vehicle, brands such as Eibach, Tein, Vogtland, Unplugged, MPP and H&R all offer tremendous value for money options....of course, if you are tracking your car more than 3 times a year, you probably want to invest in some coilovers, but only about 2% of the population will ever track their cars.

I love the way my 718 looks, drives and feels with the H&R's I had installed a few months ago...I've had them on several of my sports cars over the last two decades and only had one car that didn't feel better with them which was my BMW F32

tempImageP7d9lW.jpg

sorry, but this just isnt true...I'm 50 and have my Porsche lowered with H&R Sport springs and know many others with Porsche, BMW, NSX owners over 50 with lowering springs...this is just bad info. They wouldnt sell too many if they were as bad as you make them out to be...The right springs installed properly will enhance performance of any vehicle....We arent taking about slammed parking lot princesses, we are talking about functional performance enhancing lowering springs...Lowering springs are a popular upgrade for car enthusiasts of all levels. It’s an easier and cheaper way to lower your vehicle without changing your stock dampers or compromising on comfort levels. No matter your vehicle, brands such as Eibach, Tein, Vogtland, Unplugged, MPP and H&R all offer tremendous value for money options....of course, if you are tracking your car more than 3 times a year, you probably want to invest in some coilovers, but only about 2% of the population will ever track their cars.

I love the way my 718 looks, drives and feels with the H&R's I had installed a few months ago...I've had them on several of my sports cars over the last two decades and only had one car that didn't feel better with them which was my BMW F32
You've had your official warning and you're free to enjoy your car in whatever way works for you. No skin off my back if you make difference decisions and enjoy different things. However, I'm not coming from nowhere with this and there are certainly many others who have shared the same opinion all over the internet. Porsches, BMWs, and NSX all now have adjustable dampers too which would allow them to compensate to a point for a change in springs, which the Model 3 can't.

For my build, I went with compression and rebound adjustable coilovers with adjustable upper and lower control arms. But that is from the standpoint of a car nut who was a driving skills coach for a few years and is crazy enough to built his own car from parts to take to the track and to shows. Here is a picture of it lifted up as high as she will go for the trip to the painters. I'll admit she looks a little awkward lifted up like that and I will run it much lower, however, I have the adjustment to do that correctly. There are no shortcuts to going low unless the car was designed for it to begin with, which the Model 3 is not.
IMG_0694.jpeg

Last edited:
You've had your official warning and you're free to enjoy your car in whatever way works for you. No skin off my back if you make difference decisions and enjoy different things. However, I'm not coming from nowhere with this and there are certainly many others who have shared the same opinion all over the internet. Porsches, BMWs, and NSX all now have adjustable dampers too which would allow them to compensate to a point for a change in springs, which the Model 3 can't.

For my build, I went with compression and rebound adjustable coilovers with adjustable upper and lower control arms. But that is from the standpoint of a car nut who was a driving skills coach for a few years and is crazy enough to built his own car from parts to take to the track and to shows. Here is a picture of it lifted up as high as she will go for the trip to the painters. I'll admit she looks a little awkward lifted up like that and I will run it much lower, however, I have the adjustment to do that correctly. There are no shortcuts to going low unless the car was designed for it to begin with, which the Model 3 is not.View attachment 924772

That’s great, But your original post was a generalization of lowering springs and a insult to those who use them …cars like newer Porsches have plenty of adjustability in the suspension components that allow proper alignments and ride height with proper lowering springs that improve looks and performance… I personally would never put on springs that lowered the front 1” and the rear 1.4” if that is in fact the Eibach springs do, but most people seem happy with the Unplugged lowering springs… I will probably do the MPP comfort coilovers if I ever lower the Tesla, but if I ever test drove a Tesla with springs that were good ride quality and lowered the car evenly I would have no problem going that route either

Anyone have a 2022 or 2023 M3P using the long range Eibach lowering springs? They have different part numbers, and different drops, but seeing that the new M3P is now the same ride height as the LR anyone install the LR springs on a P?

I'm thinking of giving that a try. I don't like the 1" F vs 1.4" R drop, I'd rather have an equal drop height.
since nobody else actually answered your question, I contacted Eibach about this exact question. They told me either spring will fit on either model LR or P. I ended up going with the LR springs that lower the rear 1" on my M3P. it got me the amount of drop I was looking for in the rear. I have not noticed any negative effects or change in ride feel from stock.

since nobody else actually answered your question, I contacted Eibach about this exact question. They told me either spring will fit on either model LR or P. I ended up going with the LR springs that lower the rear 1" on my M3P. it got me the amount of drop I was looking for in the rear. I have not noticed any negative effects or change in ride feel from stock.
Did they happen to tell you if there’s a difference in spring rates?

Did they happen to tell you if there’s a difference in spring rates?
I was told "the spring rates are very close" not sure what that means but if it helps im running the stock front springs with the eibach rears, i didnt wanna lose any front clearance and the car now sits within 1/16" at all 4 corners due to the factory rear riding around an 1" higher. i think it looks perfect and cant tell any difference in ride.

I was told "the spring rates are very close" not sure what that means but if it helps im running the stock front springs with the eibach rears, i didnt wanna lose any front clearance and the car now sits within 1/16" at all 4 corners due to the factory rear riding around an 1" higher. i think it looks perfect and cant tell any difference in ride.
FYI....

Me: I’m interested in either E10-87-001-05-22 or E10-87-001-02-22 springs. What are the spring rates? Thanks!
Eibach: The correct part # for your vehicle would be E10-87-001-05-22. The spring rates for this part # are 257lbs./in. front and 314-525lbs./in. rear (progressive).
Me: What are the spring rates for E10-87-001-02-22 springs?
Eibach: The spring rates are the same for both part numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2