Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 Y still come with CCS charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Ys are 23 feet long? My Sprinter is barely that long. Perhaps a mod could fix the title of this thread.

NACS will only be available at NON-Tesla charging sites, otherwise it'll be Tesla Proprietary Connector for Teslas at Superchargers. So likely if you have a super old Tesla (are there any?) you'll be very used to fast charging at Superchargers only, will probably be the only things that shows up in your NAV.

For medium old Teslas there is the upgrade option, so you'll probably get an email from Tesla offering that when NACS sites start to open.

All Tesla plugs currently available at NON-Tesla sites are using CHAdeMO adapters made by Tesla so they speak TPC. Wonder who will open the first actual NACS site. Sure was a lotta bluster from charger companies when NACS first started turning heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
Just wanted to double check if new MY are still coming with CCS charging ability? Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla cut that since the NACS became the norm.

If that is the charging adapter thingy, then Yes. My '23 MYP had one in the back on delivery day.

You mean the the J1772 adapter for "slow" charging? Yes it comes with the car.

The CCS adapter that allows CSS fast charging DOES NOT come with the car.

Just wanted to double check if new MY are still coming with CCS charging ability? Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla cut that since the NACS became the norm.
Yes. Picked mine up a week ago. It shows CCS enabled in the info screen. UPS is delivering a Tesla CCS adapter today which I will test this weekend.

(I'm talking level 3 DCFC CCS, not L2 J1772 - Edit: typo)

Last edited:
NACS will only be available at NON-Tesla charging sites, otherwise it'll be Tesla Proprietary Connector for Teslas at Superchargers. So likely if you have a super old Tesla (are there any?) you'll be very used to fast charging at Superchargers only, will probably be the only things that shows up in your NAV.
Isn't NACS the once proprietary connector that Tesla's use? Now that it's an open standard, why wouldn't a NACS vehicle be able to DC Fast Charge at a Tesla Supercharger - unless Tesla has announced that they're in fact locking them down to only charge Teslas, and non-Tesla NACS equipped vehicles would only be able to charge at non-Tesla Supercharger sites?
Also aren't the non-Tesla Superchargers using CCS, not CHAdeMO? At least that's what I've seen on PlugShare people are posting about. There are none near me to check out.

Reactions: brkaus
Um. My understanding of the NACS/CCS1 follies goes as follows:
  1. Pre mid-2021 Teslas have the NACS physical connector, but speak a semi-propietary version of the CCS1 protocol. So, if you have one of those cars, it's an option to upgrade the little bitty computer behind the charge point to one that speaks CCS1. Once one has done that, one can plug in a CCS1->NACS adapter (they exist) and charge at CCS1 charging stations.
  2. After mid-2021 Teslas have the upgraded computer that natively knows the CCS1 protocol. If one is so inclined, one can buy the adapter from Tesla so one can charge from a CCS1-based charging station. The wires are, pretty much, straight through with no electronics in the adapter.
  3. It's kind of known that Gen 3 Superchargers (the ones that do 250 kW) talk CCS1 protocol natively; so a non-Tesla with a NACS->CCS1 adapter can charge at a Supercharger.
  4. What's not clear is if Gen 1 (72 kW) or Gen 2 (120kW/150kW) Superchargers know CCS1 or not. If they do, non-Teslas can charge at them. If not, then it's probably Upgrades R Us for Tesla.
  5. In any case: Any Tesla with a NACS socket can charge at any Tesla Supercharger.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Chewy13
Isn't NACS the once proprietary connector that Tesla's use? Now that it's an open standard, why wouldn't a NACS vehicle be able to DC Fast Charge at a Tesla Supercharger - unless Tesla has announced that they're in fact locking them down to only charge Teslas, and non-Tesla NACS equipped vehicles would only be able to charge at non-Tesla Supercharger sites?
Also aren't the non-Tesla Superchargers using CCS, not CHAdeMO? At least that's what I've seen on PlugShare people are posting about. There are none near me to check out.
The NACS standard as published is the familiar Tesla charge port but with J1772 (AC) and CCS (DC) communications. US Superchargers and Tesla cars use a proprietary protocol (over CANbus) for communications that is not currently a part of the NACS specification. So Tesla cars built before CCS1 communications compatibility are absolutely NOT NACS compatible (until they get the ECU upgrade). The V3 and above Superchargers (so the 250kW locations) do appear to all have hardware for CCS communications already present, so that part of the network can all be made NACS complaint when Tesla chooses.

Reactions: Chewy13
Um. My understanding of the NACS/CCS1 follies goes as follows:
  1. Pre mid-2021 Teslas have the NACS physical connector, but speak a semi-propietary version of the CCS1 protocol. So, if you have one of those cars, it's an option to upgrade the little bitty computer behind the charge point to one that speaks CCS1. Once one has done that, one can plug in a CCS1->NACS adapter (they exist) and charge at CCS1 charging stations.
  2. After mid-2021 Teslas have the upgraded computer that natively knows the CCS1 protocol. If one is so inclined, one can buy the adapter from Tesla so one can charge from a CCS1-based charging station. The wires are, pretty much, straight through with no electronics in the adapter.
  3. It's kind of known that Gen 3 Superchargers (the ones that do 250 kW) talk CCS1 protocol natively; so a non-Tesla with a NACS->CCS1 adapter can charge at a Supercharger.
  4. What's not clear is if Gen 1 (72 kW) or Gen 2 (120kW/150kW) Superchargers know CCS1 or not. If they do, non-Teslas can charge at them. If not, then it's probably Upgrades R Us for Tesla.
  5. In any case: Any Tesla with a NACS socket can charge at any Tesla Supercharger.
Teslas with CCS compatibility will be able to charge at CCS stations with an adapter.

Teslas without CCS compatibility will only be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers or some third party DCFC that use a built in Chademo to Tesla adapter.

Cars with NACS port will be able to charge at V3 Tesla superchargers or CCS stations with a CCS to NACS adapter.

Cars with NACS port may not be able to charge at third party DCFC that use a built in Chademo to Tesla adapter.

Cars with NACS port may not be able to charge at V1/V2/Urban superchargers.

This is assuming all cars with an NACS port have an agreement with Tesla to use the superchargers. Currently this is true. It is possible once the standard is finalized by SAE (J3400) that automakers could put a J3400 port on the car without an agreement with Tesla. These theoretical cars may not be able to charge at Superchargers unless Tesla fully opens all Superchargers to anyone like they do at Magic Dock stations.

Reactions: Chewy13
Yeah, like too much info is actually less info, and the point I was making is that third party chargers that put NACS plugs on won't work with early and mid Teslas that have Tesla plugs but are not NACS compatible. Tesla plugs != NACS plugs

Not sure everyone gets that.

I wasnt, until this thread anyway, since I am not following it at all.

If I understand the summary in the thread, my wifes 2022 Model Y (which is currently CCS capable according to the more information screens on it), should be fine to use any of these upcoming, potential third party NACS enabled charging stations, but my 2018 model 3 which is NOT CCS capable (yet) cant.

If I get my 2018 Model 3 retrofitted for CCS capability (either doing it myself or waiting for an official from Tesla CCS retrofit), then my 2018 model 3 would also be able to use those potential upcoming third party "NACS enabled charging stations".

Is that an accurate summary?

I wasnt, until this thread anyway, since I am not following it at all.

If I understand the summary in the thread, my wifes 2022 Model Y (which is currently CCS capable according to the more information screens on it), should be fine to use any of these upcoming, potential third party NACS enabled charging stations, but my 2018 model 3 which is NOT CCS capable (yet) cant.

If I get my 2018 Model 3 retrofitted for CCS capability (either doing it myself or waiting for an official from Tesla CCS retrofit), then my 2018 model 3 would also be able to use those potential upcoming third party "NACS enabled charging stations".

Is that an accurate summary?
Correct

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Check the more information on the screen

Attachments

• Tesla Software IMG_9296.JPG
    Tesla Software IMG_9296.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Tesla CCS IMG_9435.PNG
    Tesla CCS IMG_9435.PNG
    367.5 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: cdub