Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

295 Wh/mi in first 600 miles - normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my LR AWD M3 with 19” sport wheels the beginning of last month. I’ve put on only 600 miles so far, and that’s been with a 40mi roundtrip commute to/from work. Half the commute is on residential streets and half on a highway where I’m usually doing 75. I admit I have a lead foot and am having a great time “testing” the acceleration. I’m averaging 295 Wh/mi for these first 600 miles and for little milk runs to the grocery store 10 minutes away, I’ve hit as high as 340 Wh/mi.

Recognizing that I will settle in for a more normal drive with only occasional high speed adventures in acceleration, should I be concerned enough to contact the local service center? Note that when the car is parked at my house with WiFi, I tend to lose only about 2-3 miles per day. It’s the sprints to work and errands that seem to be draining the batteries. Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Completely normal when you're taking lots of short strolls. Especially depending on weather.

I don't see rated range (241 Wh/mi) unless I go 50+ miles (straight) it's above 55F out, and I'm doing <= 68mph.

That's on with AWD and 18".

Think lifetime Wh/mi for me in Ohio is ~285

• Informative
Reactions: house9
I drove autopilot on M3P with 20" wheels at 75mph at 10 degrees Celsius and I am using 420 wh per mile. I have to pootle around at 40mph to hit 250 an per mile.

I don't use motorways a great deal but if I did I feel a Tesla might not suit my 85 to 90 driving habits. I came from a modified Audi S8 with 700 horses and it did roughly the same mpg between 70 and 90. Performance is about the same at 2.9 0 -60 so not a bad trade in.

Tesla takes some getting used to but overall I did it for air quality in cities. If the HellCat produced fluffy puppies for emissions I would be driving that though!!!