Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick bedtime story.

I bought the V1 front camera switch when it came out, and like everyone else, spent $350 for just the front camera from Tesla, as well as the switch and the extra cables, twice (since Superbat screwed up, but that's a different bedtime story).

Anyway, I loved this mod SO MUCH.. it was really amazing to have in my '13 P85+. About a year later, @artsci posted that he had found a full new kit with the switch, cables, and camera on his shelf and offered it for sale. I really didn't need another switch, but I thought, man, if my setup ever dies, or my car is totalled, or something happens, I sure want to have that second kit on the shelf as a backup. So I jumped at the opportunity to buy it and just put it on the shelf.

Jump ahead to 2017, and without really being in the market to upgrade my P85+, I found a deal for a P85D+ that I just couldn't turn down. So I bought that car and sold my P85+. And guess what? That kit I had on my shelf was put to immediate use on the P85D, and in addition, I could sell the P85+ with this awesome mod.

So you never know when you might need a second kit just waiting on the shelf. Especially now that the extra cameras are only $40 on Amazon. :rolleyes:

If we could find out where the reverse signal comes in at the mcu it would be easy to add in a timed relay. Where can I get the wiring diagrams?
It 'comes in at the mcu' on the CAN bus. There is no singularity carrying solely the 'reverse signal'. Most every component on the car has a SOC which communicates via the CAN bus. This is exactly what @appleguru is working on for automatically switching the camera when in reverse.

Reactions: appleguru
The suggestion for this added delay is not practical. Go back and review how that person requesting it uses his screens. The camera is not up. The whole point of this mod is to have the front cam come up when on the camera view and switch automatically to the rear view until taken out of reverse, the back to the front. If you are not going to use the mod this way, then do it manually.

Mods to the PCB will require a whole new design and god knows what delays. So we won’t be doing them. The CANBUS cable is an add-on that plugs into the existing PCB, so it’s not a problem.

We’re now up to 58 deposits so the production run will be for 75 units. This will give us capacity for additional deposits and post-production demand.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG and Akikiki
No. You can make a deposit for delivery when production is completed in about 8-10 weeks. Please PM/start a conversation with me for instructions.
Art, I believe you gave us the final parts list a few pages back (and the three cables we need to get from Tesla).

Two things.

1. How do we order the Tesla parts, call the SC and ask for Parts? Or through Service? Since they don’t have the normal parts department...

2. Did we ever get a revised set of installation instructions or are those waiting for the final hardware for tweaking (and maybe the Canbus add-one for those that want to use them!).

Thanks much!

Art, I believe you gave us the final parts list a few pages back (and the three cables we need to get from Tesla).

Two things.

1. How do we order the Tesla parts, call the SC and ask for Parts? Or through Service? Since they don’t have the normal parts department...

2. Did we ever get a revised set of installation instructions or are those waiting for the final hardware for tweaking (and maybe the Canbus add-one for those that want to use them!).

Thanks much!

1. I email my SC with a list of the parts I need and they let me know when they come in or ship them to me directly.

2. The installation instructions are awaiting final tweaking. They'll be ready when we ship in about 2 months or so.

OK, I just tried to create a notice about our group purchase effort in The "General" discussion topic of the Tesla forums, but can not seem to post it (the "Preview" and "Save" buttons don't appear to be active, and I can't figure out why).
As a sidenote, I went through this with Tesla a while ago.

1. Your email address needs to be that of a registered Tesla owner.

2. There are wacky spam filters. I had to use 'executive contact', from my Tesla account to get this fixed for my registered email, even. Guess how I found out about number 1 (testing with another address...).

(Only reason I was there, was that's where the support thread for ''Remote S' lives. The next time you complain about TMC's software, nope. It's heaven. :D )

And now I can't find the detailed parts list for the final list of the cables. Was that in another thread? I know @artsci did a list of all the little parts (which I got), but I didn't make note of the cable numbers. The info in a thread like this really gets out of hand.

Next time (lol) we get involved in one of these, we really need a wiki post so current info is at the top.

And now I can't find the detailed parts list for the final list of the cables. Was that in another thread? I know @artsci did a list of all the little parts (which I got), but I didn't make note of the cable numbers. The info in a thread like this really gets out of hand.

Next time (lol) we get involved in one of these, we really need a wiki post so current info is at the top.

It’s in a separate thread where it is at the top:

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Next, we need to form a task force to invade appleguru's home to find his missing CANBUS testing rig :D.
Appleguru tells me the CANBUS cable for the reverse signal is a go. There should be a pre-made kit and a DIY option. He tells me the pre-made kit will be about $200 and the DIY less. Final costs are not yet determined, as he’s thinking about ways to lower them. Of course, there’s also the option of running a line to the taillights themselves to tap the reverse signal. If you’re a DIY, that costs nothing except your time.

Good news... I found my testing gear! it was in a bag at the bottom of my bedroom closet under a suitcase o_O

This weekend I will iron out the final plans and BOM for the CAN bus reverse tap. Like artsci mentioned, I expect the final cost to be somewhere around $200.

I'm going to start taking deposits for these now so we can hopefully deliver at the same time as the camera switch boards. If you're interested in a pre-made kit send me a PM. This will work much the same way artsci is handling the main switch board orders.

The kits will include everything you need to power your camera switch as well as get the car's reverse signal from your car's OBD port.

To be as easy to install as possible and compatible with as many cars as possible, my current design plugs into the OBD port on your car. For this to work, your car must have the chassis CAN bus on pins 1 and 9. All Model S and Model X built after May 31, 2013 should have these, but if you want to verify you can check your car very easily by looking at your OBD port.

OBD port without needed chassis bus (Pins 1 / 9 are the top / bottom pins on the left side of the connector):
no CH bus.jpg

OBD port with needed chassis bus (Pins 1 / 9 are the top / bottom pins on the left side of the connector):
CH bus.jpg

Good news... I found my testing gear! it was in a bag at the bottom of my bedroom closet under a suitcase o_O

This weekend I will iron out the final plans and BOM for the CAN bus reverse tap. Like artsci mentioned, I expect the final cost to be somewhere around $200.

I'm going to start taking deposits for these now so we can hopefully deliver at the same time as the camera switch boards. If you're interested in a pre-made kit send me a PM. This will work much the same way artsci is handling the main switch board orders.

The kits will include everything you need to power your camera switch as well as get the car's reverse signal from your car's OBD port.

To be as easy to install as possible and compatible with as many cars as possible, my current design plugs into the OBD port on your car. For this to work, your car must have the chassis CAN bus on pins 1 and 9. All Model S and Model X built after May 31, 2013 should have these, but if you want to verify you can check your car very easily by looking at your OBD port.

OBD port without needed chassis bus (Pins 1 / 9 are the top / bottom pins on the left side of the connector):
View attachment 309772

OBD port with needed chassis bus (Pins 1 / 9 are the top / bottom pins on the left side of the connector):
View attachment 309773

This great news. It will make installation a breeze. Definitely worth $200 in saved hassle.