Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I wasn’t planning on using a remote at all.

The panda led is blinking red and blue.

As of right now I’ve removed bearbu’s kit and am just trying to get artsci’s kit and yours to work first.

Now I’m not seeing the rear video feed at all - I’ve also done a reset on the MCU as well and no luck.
I’m also not hearing it switch between front and back anymore, is it possible that there something wrong with Artsci’s unit?

I’ve plugged and unplugged the connectors to make sure it’s not loose as well.

Display Port - is connected to the Black APE wire
Rear Port is connected to the APE ECU
Front Port is connected to the front camera

Attachments

• C827786D-4B6B-4CFE-91BA-031C9DEA562B.jpeg
    C827786D-4B6B-4CFE-91BA-031C9DEA562B.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 2C23DCBB-D280-4C35-BB25-AFF2E29DF9C3.jpeg
    2C23DCBB-D280-4C35-BB25-AFF2E29DF9C3.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 5362EDBE-C7A1-47EC-82AE-75DAEDA69C1A.jpeg
    5362EDBE-C7A1-47EC-82AE-75DAEDA69C1A.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
No I wasn’t planning on using a remote at all.

The panda led is blinking red and blue.

As of right now I’ve removed bearbu’s kit and am just trying to get artsci’s kit and yours to work first.

Now I’m not seeing the rear video feed at all - I’ve also done a reset on the MCU as well and no luck.
I’m also not hearing it switch between front and back anymore, is it possible that there something wrong with Artsci’s unit?

I’ve plugged and unplugged the connectors to make sure it’s not loose as well.

Display Port - is connected to the Black APE wire
Rear Port is connected to the APE ECU
Front Port is connected to the front camera

I would strongly recommending programming the remote (even if you don't plan on using it); it is a really good backup to have, and once you close everything up it is impossible to pair the remote.

A few things I notice from your photos: 1) You're using an OBD extension... try without it; not all cables run all OBD port wires. We're using pins 1/9 for our CAN bus connection which are not common. (yours may be fine, but good to eliminate variables for now).

Also, I see that you're using Bearbu's cable with the green connector. The cables he provides are not dacar 535; they usually work fine, but may cause some signal integrity issues, so I recommend not using them if possible (again, at least for now so we can eliminate variables). Can you take a photo of how your wires from the CAN bus kit are connected to the camera switcher?

Reactions: Akikiki
Ok - I need to source the battery for the remote, hopefully my local hardware store carries it.

I’ve removed bearbu’s wire as well, here is the updated photos connected directly to APE ECU using the turquoise cables

In re to the OBD extension I’ve removed it as well and plugged it directly into the OBD port.

I now get the rear camera showing, so some progress there... but when i put into drive nothing happens, it still shows the rear camera

=====

New update:

So I took the rear trigger wire and connected it to the front and re tested, when I put the car in R, rear camera shows fine, when I put it into D, I hear the unit switch but doesn’t go to the front camera automatically, if I hold the menu button then the front camera switches on - so some progress now.

But the unit won’t automatically switch from Rear to Front even though I hear it clicking

Soo if both your unit and BearBu uses the menu button to switch source, how will it know which source to switch to? Or is it cycling thru the sources?

Attachments

• 3D8C8E4E-F2D6-4835-BD88-FCB305516B25.jpeg
    3D8C8E4E-F2D6-4835-BD88-FCB305516B25.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Ok - I need to source the battery for the remote, hopefully my local hardware store carries it.

I’ve removed bearbu’s wire as well, here is the updated photos connected directly to APE ECU using the turquoise cables

In re to the OBD extension I’ve removed it as well and plugged it directly into the OBD port.

I now get the rear camera showing, so some progress there... but when i put into drive nothing happens, it still shows the rear camera

=====

New update:

So I took the rear trigger wire and connected it to the front and re tested, when I put the car in R, rear camera shows fine, when I put it into D, I hear the unit switch but doesn’t go to the front camera automatically, if I hold the menu button then the front camera switches on - so some progress now.

But the unit won’t automatically switch from Rear to Front even though I hear it clicking

Soo if both your unit and BearBu uses the menu button to switch source, how will it know which source to switch to? Or is it cycling thru the sources?

Move the “R” line from the can bus kit from the SW1 input on the camera switcher to the SW2 input and put the car in reverse. This should put 12v on it and get the camera switcher in the correct mode. Then you can move it back to SW1 (Normally you do this with the remote).

RE Switching feeds via menu button: The camera switcher and hdmi kit unfortunately don’t play super nice with each other currently.

When I originally came up with using the menu button to switch feeds, bearbu was planning on using my kit with his HDMI interface. He instead decided to work with a local vendor to implement the same functionality on lower cost hardware (the blue box), but unfortunately it doesn’t play nice with others.

I am working on a solution, but currently I use the menu button to switch to HDMI on my car, and have moved the camera override to the scroll wheel (not as nice, but works). In real world use, this means front camera is auto up in drive, back camera is auto up in reverse, and if I want to override I use homelink.

Reactions: Nhtran328
Move the “R” line from the can bus kit from the SW1 input on the camera switcher to the SW2 input and put the car in reverse. This should put 12v on it and get the camera switcher in the correct mode. Then you can move it back to SW1 (Normally you do this with the remote).

RE Switching feeds via menu button: The camera switcher and hdmi kit unfortunately don’t play super nice with each other currently.

When I originally came up with using the menu button to switch feeds, bearbu was planning on using my kit with his HDMI interface. He instead decided to work with a local vendor to implement the same functionality on lower cost hardware (the blue box), but unfortunately it doesn’t play nice with others.

I am working on a solution, but currently I use the menu button to switch to HDMI on my car, and have moved the camera override to the scroll wheel (not as nice, but works). In real world use, this means front camera is auto up in drive, back camera is auto up in reverse, and if I want to override I use homelink.

Sorry, “SW1” = REAR, “SW2” = FRNT inputs on the camera switcher

Move the “R” line from the can bus kit from the SW1 input on the camera switcher to the SW2 input and put the car in reverse. This should put 12v on it and get the camera switcher in the correct mode. Then you can move it back to SW1 (Normally you do this with the remote)

Ok - let me try this when I get home later.

Can you show me how to reprogram it like yours where holding the menu button triggers the HDMI and scroll wheel triggers the switch between the front camera?

The reality of me switching back and forth while driving is slim, but having that functionality would be great. Out of the box where the front camera switches on while in drive works fine for my needs

Last edited:
The reality of me switching back and forth while driving is slim, but having that functionality would be great. Out of the box where the front camera switches on while in drive works fine for my needs

Yup. I've had the V1 front camera kit since it first came out years ago. I can maybe think of one case where I needed to manually switch it from front to rear or rear to front with the remote, overriding the automatic flip when going into Reverse. I had it programmed in Homelink on my P85+, but I sold that car (with the kit installed, had to get another kit for my P85D) and never bothered with programming Homelink.

Yup. I've had the V1 front camera kit since it first came out years ago. I can maybe think of one case where I needed to manually switch it from front to rear or rear to front with the remote, overriding the automatic flip when going into Reverse. I had it programmed in Homelink on my P85+, but I sold that car (with the kit installed, had to get another kit for my P85D) and never bothered with programming Homelink.

If I could use my homelink I would, but with only 3 available slots - I’ve used it all up with my 2 garage door and gate. I wish Homelink would allow more...

Reactions: appleguru
Ok - let me try this when I get home later.

Can you show me how to reprogram it like yours where holding the menu button triggers the HDMI and scroll wheel triggers the switch between the front camera?

Yes, but you’ll need to reflash the firmware on your canbus kit. To do that, you need a USB A to A cable and a computer (mac or Linux ideally) with some developer tools installed to build the updated code... send me a PM when you have a few minutes/have the cable you need and we can go through the process together.

So I did what you suggested and the system automatically switches to Front camera when in drive and Rear Camera when reverse.

I was able to also add on BearBu’s kit and everything seems to be working except pairing the remote.

I bought the battery and tried to pair the remote, but I don’t seem to have any success... pressed the learn button and then I pressed D on the remote, nothing seem to happen. The red light remained on and then turned off after 20 sec or so. I tried pressing the D button as well and nothing happened.

Last edited:
So I’ve ran into another issue...

The camera did switch between R & D when I was testing it out, but when driving the camera would not switch to the rear camera, when I held the menu button it would switch to the HDMI.

When I stopped and parked the car, it was showing the Front Camera and when I held the Menu button it switched to the rear, so I then put it in D, and pressed the menu button again and it would not switch back to the Front camera, it would switch to HDMI.

When I switched between R & D, I do hear the unit clicking but front camera won’t turn back on.

Any thoughts?

While getting ready to install the kit in my Model S this morning, I thought it would be nice to pair the remote controls with the switcher box while sitting comfortably at my kitchen table. This seemed to work (unless pairing memory is lost without power to the switcher box): Powering the switcher box with the 12 volt remote control battery (27A) (for this I used the set up in the pictures below) and pressing the learning button (red LED in the switcher box stays lit), then pressing the D button on the remotes (red LED blinks and goes off). Pushing the D button then lights up the red LED. Reassemble the box and the remotes and hopefully all is well.
View attachment 368347 View attachment 368348

Ok I tried both remotes, pressed the learn button, LED lit up red. Then I pressed the D button (tried it on both remotes) nothing happened. The LED was still on, and then it turned off by itself.

I thought it was paired and pressed the D button again and nothing happened, no red lights flashed...

Ok I tried both remotes, pressed the learn button, LED lit up red. Then I pressed the D button (tried it on both remotes) nothing happened. The LED was still on, and then it turned off by itself.

I thought it was paired and pressed the D button again and nothing happened, no red lights flashed...

Is the LED lighting up on your remote when you push the button?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
So I’ve ran into another issue...

The camera did switch between R & D when I was testing it out, but when driving the camera would not switch to the rear camera, when I held the menu button it would switch to the HDMI.

When I stopped and parked the car, it was showing the Front Camera and when I held the Menu button it switched to the rear, so I then put it in D, and pressed the menu button again and it would not switch back to the Front camera, it would switch to HDMI.

When I switched between R & D, I do hear the unit clicking but front camera won’t turn back on.

Any thoughts?
In this situation where you have just come out of Reverse and going back into Drive, and the front cam does not come up, try doing a center console reboot. Its okay to do this while driving. When mine reboots, it usually comes back up. A few times it does not bring the front cam back on, I pull over or when I get where I am going, I do a shutdown. I sit for at least two minutes do nothing. Don't press the brake, don't get out of the car, do n-o-t-h-i-n-g. After the two minutes, bring the car back up, the front camera comes on.

I can tell from reading that "you get it". Just so you know, here's some more info that can help you figure out stuff. For one, the artsci switch defaults to show the front cam. If you want to change that, simply plug the rear camera in to the front plug, and front camera into the rear plug. Then its going to be bass-ackward and allows you to test it.

Another tip. If you provide both 12v positive and neg side power to the artsci switch you have powered it. You notice the other R position on the small green plug (yes its got 4, but we only use 3) screw/terminals? The artsci switch swaps between front and rear and rear and front, when you apply 12v positive momentarily (its already got its ground) to the R position on the green plug. You could use a momentary switch and manually pass 12v positive to that terminal on the green plug to swap front/rear/front. It would be awkward to do this all the time, but I did it for a couple of weeks.

I had one of artsci's first switches. Worked great for years. I sold my '13 S and bought a '17 S. The wiring harness where we got the Reverse signal to feed the switch was different. So, I used a momentary switch and manually tripped it to get rear and then front. Then I remembered the Reverse lights in the liftgate. I tested before I installed. I tapped the Reverse backup light and ran a single strand wire from the rear to the front and into the green plug. Tried it and it restored Front to rear and rear to front swap when I went from D to R and R to D. Now that I know it works, I ran that single wire through the inside of the car from the liftgate to the front of the car. This was more labor that 99% of the folks interested in the front cam switch were willing to do. So appleguru designed his OBD port interface to provide both power and trigger for the artsci switch. This is a long way to explain you can use 12v to test the F/R/R/F function if you need.

I've been using artsci's switch now for 5 years since he offered it. I have a hiccup once in a while but its the car or the front cam that causes it to not come back up. A reboot fixes it 99% of the time. The only consideration that I always do is, I make sure I provide power to it fused. Just extra care.

Yes - It lights up blue when i press it

Should work fine then. For good measure, disconnect the CAN bus kit when you're pairing the remote so you can test it without having to worry about the reverse signal override. Press the pairing button once until it goes red, press and hold a button on your remote until the red light on the switcher blinks and goes out... then it should be paired. Press the button once on your remote to test.

• Informative
Reactions: nanimac
I have bearbu's, appleguru's canbus & artsci's kit installed on my 2018 AP2.5 and i love it, except when it stops working unexpectedly.
The front cam will sporadically stop working, not sure why, even after mcu reg & hard reboot. The cam was out for a week after running for about a month with intermittent outages. This morning, WALA it works again. I have come to the conclusion that i have no clue what the problem is or how to address it, but i'm not going to attribute any of the problems to any of the kits, i blame tesla. happy monday ya'll

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
I have bearbu's, appleguru's canbus & artsci's kit installed on my 2018 AP2.5 and i love it, except when it stops working unexpectedly.
The front cam will sporadically stop working, not sure why, even after mcu reg & hard reboot. The cam was out for a week after running for about a month with intermittent outages. This morning, WALA it works again. I have come to the conclusion that i have no clue what the problem is or how to address it, but i'm not going to attribute any of the problems to any of the kits, i blame tesla. happy monday ya'll

Thanks for sharing your experience - as of right now - i have it working and am working directly w/ Adam to update the firmware and move the Menu button to the left scroll wheel so there's no overlap between functionality between Adam's kit and BearBu's;

As for the front camera, it's working as expected, while in reverse the rear camera switches on, when in Drive front camera turns on.

Reactions: Akikiki
In this situation where you have just come out of Reverse and going back into Drive, and the front cam does not come up, try doing a center console reboot. Its okay to do this while driving. When mine reboots, it usually comes back up. A few times it does not bring the front cam back on, I pull over or when I get where I am going, I do a shutdown. I sit for at least two minutes do nothing. Don't press the brake, don't get out of the car, do n-o-t-h-i-n-g. After the two minutes, bring the car back up, the front camera comes on.

thanks for the tips and tricks.

is there a difference between rebooting vs complete shutdown?

Rebooting = hold both scroll button down until system restarts
Shutdown = in MCU menu powering down?

Is this it?

thanks for the tips and tricks.

is there a difference between rebooting vs complete shutdown?

Rebooting = hold both scroll button down until system restarts
Shutdown = in MCU menu powering down?

Is this it?
Both methods reset the different systems. Technically/specifically I don't know what/which subsystem are completely reset with a shutdown compared to a reboot. I think this is the kind of information that only Tesla techs know.

FYI, there's another reboot. Tesla calls it a deep reboot. They have said it resets more subsystems than the regular reboot. This one you can't do while you are driving - you use the brake. Stop, and hold your foot on the brake and press the two scroll buttons. In about 10-15 seconds you will see the center console black and the T come up. At that time, its okay to release the brake.