Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The connectors should definitely be blue (just like the one you circled). Can you take some wider photos to give a bit more context as to what we're looking at? Do any of the tags on those cables have markings/part numbers that might help us identify what they are and if we're looking in the right place?

Here are a couple more pictures. I pulled the carpet back forward of the A pillar and found two more cables, but neither of them blacked out the display.

sm_20190211_152151.jpg
sm_20190211_153628.jpg

Well I continued to take our more panels and poke around with a mirror. Cannot find anything in the car that resembles the video connector except this one loose one behind the tray under the MCU. Cannot get access or see under the center console as it is all integrated nor could we see the back of the MCU.

At this point I think I have come to the conclusion that modding a Gen 1 MX is not happening.:mad:

sm_20190212_134210.jpg

That’s your diagnostic Ethernet (white) And tesla diagnostic connector (blue; various CAN busses mostly).

Were you able to see anything under the center console? I actually don’t think it’s a huge deal to remove the whole thing if you have to, though I personally haven’t done it

Were you able to see anything under the center console?
Nothing. I think the rear air ducts are blocking the view.
I actually don’t think it’s a huge deal to remove the whole thing if you have to, though I personally haven’t done it
I took a bunch of the faux leather wrap away and could see that it was a large integral unit. It is also tied into the rear AC controls etc between the seats. It looked like a major undertaking to remove it IMHO.

Is there a trick to purchasing the 3 cables required from Tesla? I've been to two different service centers in the SF Bay Area to purchase/ order and have been told by both that these specific part numbers are "restricted", and not available to the general public.

Is there a trick to purchasing the 3 cables required from Tesla? I've been to two different service centers in the SF Bay Area to purchase/ order and have been told by both that these specific part numbers are "restricted", and not available to the general public.

My local SC had no issues selling them to me... maybe we need to do a 3rd OEM buy... what PNs did you try to order specifically?

On a related note, second round of CAN bus kits are on their way and should be ready to shostarting next week; if anyone that doesn’t already have an order in is interested, let me know, still have a few unclaimed!

That one is not quite the right gender (you want two small ends) but otherwise should work. Make sure you get a cable made from genuine Dacar 535; it makes a big difference in signal quality, and many of the cheap asian vendors do not use it.

My local SC had no issues selling them to me... maybe we need to do a 3rd OEM buy... what PNs did you try to order specifically?

On a related note, second round of CAN bus kits are on their way and should be ready to shostarting next week; if anyone that doesn’t already have an order in is interested, let me know, still have a few unclaimed!

I asked for part numbers 1006780-00-D and 1006781-00-E at both locations closer to me.

I’ve also tried reaching out to other service centers further out and have not been able to get a hold of anyone by phone. These are 45 mins + each way from me but I wouldn’t mind driving it if I could at least confirm that they’d be able to order the parts for me.

3rd OEM buy would be awesome!

I asked for part numbers 1006780-00-D and 1006781-00-E at both locations closer to me.

I’ve also tried reaching out to other service centers further out and have not been able to get a hold of anyone by phone. These are 45 mins + each way from me but I wouldn’t mind driving it if I could at least confirm that they’d be able to order the parts for me.

3rd OEM buy would be awesome!

We can definitely do another OEM buy, is just a matter of lead times (around 6 weeks iirc) and MOQs. Pricing goes up per cable if we only order a few. Last time I ordered 15 sets and pricing was reasonable. I think the minimum we could order would be about 10pcs each (short and long).

If you're using Tesla cables you want:
2 x "Jack to Jack (Blue)" Tesla PN 1006782-00-E (HSD, IP, CAMERA) (Should be equivalent/ the latest version of 1006782-00-D)
1 x "Plug to Plug (Blue)" Tesla PN 1006781-00-E (CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA) (Should be equivalent/ the latest version of 1006781-00-D)

You could also use 1006780-00-D/1006780-00-E instead of 1006782-00-D/E (Slightly different lengths but should be the same genders).

• Informative
Reactions: ttran203
We can definitely do another OEM buy, is just a matter of lead times (around 6 weeks iirc) and MOQs. Pricing goes up per cable if we only order a few. Last time I ordered 15 sets and pricing was reasonable. I think the minimum we could order would be about 10pcs each (short and long).

If you're using Tesla cables you want:
2 x "Jack to Jack (Blue)" Tesla PN 1006782-00-E (HSD, IP, CAMERA) (Should be equivalent/ the latest version of 1006782-00-D)
1 x "Plug to Plug (Blue)" Tesla PN 1006781-00-E (CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA) (Should be equivalent/ the latest version of 1006781-00-D)

You could also use 1006780-00-D/1006780-00-E instead of 1006782-00-D/E (Slightly different lengths but should be the same genders).

Thank you for that information, although I suspect that I would've received the same reply from the service centers with the updated PNs. One of them specifically stated " these are considered harnesses, which are restricted parts and not sold to the general public".

Sooo... anyone interested in a 3rd OEM buy? ;)

Thank you for that information, although I suspect that I would've received the same reply from the service centers with the updated PNs. One of them specifically stated " these are considered harnesses, which are restricted parts and not sold to the general public".

Sooo... anyone interested in a 3rd OEM buy? ;)

Look them up in the online parts catalog and see if they are listed as restricted. Epc.tesla.com