TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2nd set of Michelins, 80,000kms with plenty remaining

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

My second set of tyres are 19 inch Michelin Primacy 3 with at least 3.5mm of tread remaining, don't expect this sort of lifespan with 21s, mostly hard city driving or if you run the air suspension continually on low. The original set of Michelin PS3 lasted 62,000kms, I would put the extra lifespan from set number 2 down to a better tyre rotation schedule but more importantly improved driving habits, there is a general opinion that EVs wear out tyres faster than conventional cars due to extra weight, yes weight is a factor but their are also reasons why an EV increases a tyres lifespan.
    If you're looking to get a bit more info on tyres check out this summary,

Tyres: Love them as much as the rest of your vehicle – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia

2. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

have you got the modified camber strut?

3. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

@eclectricdave how does one know if they have the "modified camber strut"....as in it's after market or something that came on newer models etc.?

4. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

No need on my car but I see a lot of forum discussion about after market suspension kits for Tesla's.

5. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

The after market mod strut was intended for 21" wheel owners who had high tyre wear. Teslas have a built in camber that is not adjustable.Not such an issue with 19" wheels if you keep suspension on standard or if you had fixed suspension.

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I have found that i now drive differently to when i fist got the car. I am far smoother and u the power much more wisely. That translates to better tyre wear. Also i do rotate more regularly. Michelins on the 19 primacy 3st are working out really well for me.