Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 LR AWD vs. Model S 100D vs 3P (performance differences)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic might be covered elsewhere, but didn't really find the answer I'm looking for so here we go :)

I'm located in Europe and currently on the fence which route to go regarding 3P or stick with 3 LR AWD. I'm confident about the 3 on all aspects except for performance. Since I'm located in Europe I unfortunately don't get any opportunity to test drive the variants until they launch the real EU-model in February/March. And I would like to put down my order already now and get my car in 2-3 months or so. And of course want to make sure I make the correct decision.

I currently drive an early 2018 Model S 100D. Reason for switching to a 3 is because it is a smaller car which suits my needs better since I always have considered the S to be a little too big and bulky What I however really like about my S is the performance. So it is in this area I seek for advice from those who have driven (owned) both S and any of the Model 3 variants.

I have read that the 3 can feel a bit more "slow" off the line than the S-model (non P versions)? I really don't want to trade down too much but reading the 0-100km/h figures my S does that in 4.4 sec and the Model 3 AWD in 4.8 sek to 100km/h. It's just a small difference on paper, but how much is the difference in real world? I also really like the performance I get when up to speed. Giving it the beans in let's say 70km/h or 100km/h. Will the Model 3 LR AWD be much slower in this department than my Model S 100D?

To some extent I feel that the 3P is an unnecessary stretch from a financial point of view and I would also prefer the 19" sport wheels for a tad bit better range and looking into saving some money and go for the LR 3 AWD. But I at the same time don't want to get disappointed with the performance and feel like it is a let down from my 100D.

Would much appreciate any input from those of you who have driven all cars and can share your thoughts regarding the performance difference? Should I make the stretch and go for the 3P or will I be happy with the normal AWD? Will I take off from a red light in a similar fashion with a 3 AWD compared with my S100D?

Many thanks in advance for all your input! :D

Happy holidays!

I don't have experience with the 100D, I originally bought a Model S 85 in 2013, and then a P85 in 2014. There was a very noticeable difference in acceleration. My wife got a Model 3 LR RWD, and it was noticeably slower than my P85. But like you, I had always driven smaller cars, and the Model S, although I totally loved the car(s), was pretty big. So when the 3P arrived, I switched. It's quicker, more nimble and tighter than the MS. You'll miss some luxury features and the passenger cabin feels smaller than the MS, but I think you'll like the acceleration of the 3P if you're looking to go smaller.

• Informative
Reactions: evster
I went from a S90D to a P3D+ and the acceleration is quite noticeable from a stop and there is a bit more punch passing at highway speeds compared to the S90D. The store only had 3LR RWD to test drive and it felt similar to a S70D and I knew after a 2 hour extended test drive to get the performance version. The P3D feels very similar to a S P85D with insane mode for reference. I got a ride in a 3D AWD and I would say it is comparable to an X90D or X100D.

The 3D and P3D are both very quick cars, but if you enjoy the S100D and have the financial means, go with the performance version. Good luck with your decision.

I had a LR RWD for just under 6mos and now a P3D with the exact 19" OEM rims+tires (literally, I swapped the new 18s off the stealth performance car)

The LR RWD was much easier to get more range out of at given highway speeds. Since the P3D you'll have available has the 20"s with stickier tires, you'll lose range compared to 19s or 18s. There are some threads here with these kinds of comparisons.

If you have some restraint (I don't) and don't need the full on Performance model, the AWD with 19s is a nice car and is no slouch. A friend just got a blue w/white interior AWD with 19s and it's a looker and it plenty spritely.

I went from a p90d with ludicrous to a p3d. The 3 is slower (especially off the line) but definitely adequate from a power perspective in my opinion. I've driven the non-p 3awd and while quick in terms of cars in general, the p3d is just in another category.

Your 100d is underrated at 4.4. I realize that is 0-62, but the US version at 0-60 in 4.2 officially is more of a high 3 second car.

If performance is not a big deal to someone the AWD is very adequate. If you really love the speed and punch of your 100d, the p3d will satisfy, the 3awd may disappoint.

Granted I've never driven an S but I have driven the base M3 and my P3D. The P3D is much faster than the base and you can feel it. I also come from an Audi S4 (0-100km in 4.9s). The P3D is quite a lot faster and the instant torque is incredible by comparison. The Audi steers better ane better feel around corners. I love both cars equally at this point, for different reasons (I'll be dead before I give up the manual trans. forever). The P3D is a real joy though she's feels like a worthy successor to my S4. Hoping to slap some new wheels and tires soon to kick it up a notch and get it to rocket to 100km/h in 3.1s.

Thanks for some really good answers! Was just the kind of input I was looking for!

I'm like spirited driving and the intant torque always brings a big smile. Looks like I have to go for the P3 :). I really also like the additions with bigger brakes, alu pedals, carbon spoiler, lower chassis and also the track mode looks like great fun. The wheel design of the 20" is great, but the hard part is of course how much it will kill the range. I however run 21" turbine on my S100D currently and I think a P3 with 20" will be rather similar when it comes to range so I can hopefully cope with that.

Thanks for some really good answers! Was just the kind of input I was looking for!

I'm like spirited driving and the intant torque always brings a big smile. Looks like I have to go for the P3 :). I really also like the additions with bigger brakes, alu pedals, carbon spoiler, lower chassis and also the track mode looks like great fun. The wheel design of the 20" is great, but the hard part is of course how much it will kill the range. I however run 21" turbine on my S100D currently and I think a P3 with 20" will be rather similar when it comes to range so I can hopefully cope with that.
Most folks including myself are putting 18/19" wheels on the P3D to improve efficiency, feel and track performance