Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 month + wait for service. No rental, Tesla insurance no help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rear ended March 5th. The car was bricked on the freeway. It took 2 weeks for Tesla to release and deliver my car to the Pomona, CA service center. They looked at it and said 1 month for parts.

Meanwhile Tesla insurance doesn’t give you rental reimbursement for another Tesla. So I had a jeep for a month. After 30 days they don’t cover anything so I gave it back.

Yesterday Tesla service tells me they received the part but didn’t inspect it well enough and need to order another part and another month wait. Eff. They take no blame. They blame the model y for being too new of a car.

Still paying for insurance. Still paying the car payment.

Tesla service won’t help me, Tesla insurance won’t help me. I’ve been without a car for 2+ months. And it appears another 1+ month to go.

Do I have any recourse? Has anyone had any luck and getting in touch with any branch of Tesla for help?

Reactions: Irvine
I got rear ended March 5th. The car was bricked on the freeway. It took 2 weeks for Tesla to release and deliver my car to the Pomona, CA service center. They looked at it and said 1 month for parts.

Meanwhile Tesla insurance doesn’t give you rental reimbursement for another Tesla. So I had a jeep for a month. After 30 days they don’t cover anything so I gave it back.

Yesterday Tesla service tells me they received the part but didn’t inspect it well enough and need to order another part and another month wait. Eff. They take no blame. They blame the model y for being too new of a car.

Tesla service won’t help me, Tesla insurance won’t help me. I’ve been without a car for 2+ months. And it appears another 1+ month to go.

Do I have any recourse? Has anyone had any luck and getting in touch with any branch of Tesla for help?
I am literally in the same situation. My S/O got into an accident in my M3 at the beginning of May. Tesla Insurance told me I needed to take it to a specific body shop on their list.

Made an appointment for the estimate. They quoted me a time of AUGUST 10TH!

When I asked why so far out, they mentioned parts were on back order.

Gave me a rental for 30 days, and now I’m wondering how TF I’m going to get to work on Tuesday. I called Tesla Insurance and they are the rudest, and most unhelpful. I specifically mentioned to them that the turn around time was due to TESLA parts being on backorder. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So yes, my friend I feel your pain. Car payment, insurance, rental and gas. It’s hurting my pocket. My S/O feels awful, and is getting the bill at the end of all of this, but it doesn’t help the day-to-day stresses. If you hear of anything, please keep me posted and I’ll do the same!

If you were rear ended then the other driver is at fault.. in which case they will have to reimburse you for any out of pocket rental expenses. So just pay for a the rental and once you get your car back and settle up with insurance you will get those costs back

If you were rear ended then the other driver is at fault.. in which case they will have to reimburse you for any out of pocket rental expenses. So just pay for a the rental and once you get your car back and settle up with insurance you will get those costs back
I got rear ended last week some cosmetic damage the other guys insurance is taking full responsibility. Im gonna rent a Tesla and get them to reimburse me.

I got rear ended last week some cosmetic damage the other guys insurance is taking full responsibility. Im gonna rent a Tesla and get them to reimburse me.

When my Tesla was rear-ended, the at-fault party's insurance company refused to pay for rental for the full period Tesla body shop took to fix the car due to Tesla body shop timelines being unreasonable. I guess I could have taken them to court, but that would have been a lot of hassle.

Check with the at-fault party's insurance company first or you might end up with a lot of hassle getting them to pay.

My daughter had a similar problem with a repair taking so long. She filed a lemon declaration with Tesla. Magically parts appeared in two days.
==>I should comment that the Lemon law is different in every state, so that might not be possible in some states

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
My daughter had a similar problem with a repair taking so long. She filed a lemon declaration with Tesla. Magically parts appeared in two days.
==>I should comment that the Lemon law is different in every state, so that might not be possible in some states
What does this process look like? Tesla insurance? Body shop? And which state are you in if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve been waiting 2 months for parts. It’s been frustrating to say the least.

Having a little claims handling back ground, generally speaking the at fault party owes a rental for a "reasonable" amount of time of what would be expected for a specific repair. The essentially add up all of the hours needed for the repairs, add some days for weekends and part arrivals, and then try to cap the rental or put constant pressure on the body shop to get it done. In some cases, blame the owner of the vehicle for "choosing" the shop. In this Covid world of all the manufacturing and distribution channels being completely messed up, I have no idea what the insurance companies are doing in this environment.

If you are not satisfied with the reasons or lack of response from your insurance, the best thing to do is file a complaint with the department of insurance for that specific state. Insurance companies take those complaints seriously as they can effect their right to hold a license in that particular state and thus sell their product.

Good luck, it is tough out there when you anything timely these days.

Reactions: GrittyWskyCity
Tesla insurance gives you the rental coverage that you selected and paid for. At least in Oregon there is no maximum number of days, but you select how much coverage you want. Here the options available to me:
  • $45/day, $1350/claim ($2.24/month)
  • $75/day, $2250/claim ($3.73/month)
  • $125/day, $3750/claim ($6.22/month)
  • $250/day, $7500/claim ($12.45/month)
So yes, they price out their coverage as for 30 days, but if you opted for the $250/day coverage, but only spend $100/day on your rental you get 75 days of coverage. (And the $75/day option is the one that makes sense price wise.)

Why would you expect them to provide more coverage than you paid for?

As others have said, if you weren't at fault, the at fault driver, and their insurance, should be liable for all your rental expenses regardless of how long it takes. (I have actually seen them total a vehicle before because of how long parts would take to get and that the rental cost would push the claim over the "total it" line.)