Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the article today that says it looks like the Y is actually going to be coming out in a few months, the first quarter of 2020, now the question is do I buy my 3 this month, or do I wait two or three more months to get the Y?

Part of my concern is I never like getting something when it first comes out. Like when the 3 first came out there a lot of Manufacturing defects, although I picked up my 3 two months ago and had tons of manufacturing defects, so I had to return it.

But I do love the idea of a hatchback.

What are other people thinking?

What's more important - range or interior space? Otherwise, basically the same EV's.
Aren't the basically the same range
I wouldn't worry about that because you are in a state that allows Tesla Service Centers.

Since you like a hatchback, it's better for you to wait for it.

Well still doesn't mean I want a brand new bumper put on the minute I buy the car.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
While the Model Y may be coming out early, that doesn't mean that you will have access to it. They should clear the reservations before yours first (although LA location may have a little advantage). I don't know the number of reservations ahead of you, but guessing 100,000 and a max production of about 7,000 cars per month, do the math.
Doesn't quite work that way. First are people in the bay area. Since he is in L.A. he might be able to figure out how to pick up near Fremont factory. Another high priority is that higher spec'd cars get sold first. So if ordering top of the line, you get in front of the line.
If ordering the base model, whether you reserved early or not, you will likely have to wait 6+ months after volume production begins.

Last edited:
I think ewoodrick nailed it. 3's are pumping out now, Y's realistically 6/8 months minimum. We love our 3 but it is a sedan. Once we sell my wife's car, we'll be looking at picking up a Y for the hatchback room but that's about a year away. They should be rolling off the line by then.
Like I said, we love our 3 but it's your call on how much you need the space. Some aren't comfortable going 100% EV cuz of their particular situation so making the right selection is important. Also for you to consider is the time you'll wait for a Y.
Good luck with your dilemma and let us know how you choose. :cool:

The reports are based on Deutsche Bank releasing a note today predicting that manufacturing of the Y will start towards the end of Q1. They base the prediction on Tesla's request to its suppliers to move up the date for parts delivery.

The one other consideration, besides style preference, is that the federal tax credit is completely over on December 31st for Teslas. It's currently at $1875.

Doesn't quite work that way. First are people in the bay area. Since he is in L.A. he might be able to figure out how to pick up near Fremont factory. Another high priority is that higher spec'd cars get sold first. So if ordering top of the line, you get in front of the line.

On the 3 rollout they did reservation holders on the west coast first in (roughly) reservation number order, then rolled east to more reservation holders again roughly by reservation number order by region.

Non-reservation holders, no matter where they lived, were given no chance to get a car until roughly a year after the first Model 3s were delivered.

On top of that the higher spec cars weren't available, to anybody, until about 9 months after the first Model 3s were delivered (all LR RWD for those first ~9 months)....though the lowest spec came much later than any of the LR cars of course.

For the Y I know they've given roughly the same timeline for all LR models to be available (originally Fall 2020, now suggested to be much earlier in 2020), with SRs not available till 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
On the 3 rollout they did reservation holders on the west coast first in (roughly) reservation number order, then rolled east to more reservation holders again roughly by reservation number order by region.

Non-reservation holders, no matter where they lived, were given no chance to get a car until roughly a year after the first Model 3s were delivered.

On top of that the higher spec cars weren't available, to anybody, until about 9 months after the first Model 3s were delivered (all LR RWD for those first ~9 months)....though the lowest spec came much later than any of the LR cars of course.

For the Y I know they've given roughly the same timeline for all LR models to be available (originally Fall 2020, now suggested to be much earlier in 2020), with SRs not available till 2021.
Tesla Model 3 production appears to have surpassed the 6k/week mark
As soon as Tesla reached volume production you could get a Model 3 long range, no reservation required.
Tesla drops reservation system for Americans and Canadians looking to buy their Model 3

From past releases it’s gone first to Employees (and there are more Tesla employees than before as Tesla companies have grown) for their contribution to the Company, then to reservation holders who are current or past Tesla owners for their past support, then to reservation holders of non-owners—pretty much first-come first served in this group—in an effort to be fair to those early reservation holders who committed earliest, finally to general public. Model 3 produced RWD first, then AWD (black interior first, then added white), then the Performance version.

There will also be variants of the Model Y and hard to say what order they will make those available, and of course certain colors/trims and what order they are produced cones into play. Then it depends on when in the quarter they are as to what location direction they go out for delivery.

Last edited: