Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-pin inline meters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone use an inline electricity meter with their mobile charger to square away the charging cost with friends & relatives when visiting them?
What do you have and can you recommend it?

Yes, it's always "good form" to offer to pay for any electricity you use when visiting. They need to know their price per kWh of course (and many do not know without a lot of digging around to find out). Your car (and app) will display how many kWh it has taken in a charging session. Multiply by the price per kWh by your kWh used and there's your starting point. I don't think anyone is likely to be working to the penny when dealing with relatives but it "keeps you right"!

In practice no money has changed hands amongst our family and friends. The amounts are far less than standing a round in the pub so there are usually opportunities to more than even things up.

Reactions: andyf1140 and init6
Does anyone use an inline electricity meter with their mobile charger to square away the charging cost with friends & relatives when visiting them?
Unless I’m staying overnight, I just use the supercharger net. Or buy them a bottle of something or shout coffees. I think an in-line electricity meter is a bit OTT is it not?

Reactions: init6 and Adopado
Anyone got a USB current monitor so I can charge them for charging their phones o_O🤑:eek:
I've got one 😆. Use it to monitor my vape batteries and to make sure they are what they say they are etc. It would be very sad to start counting how many MAH are being sucked up but on that note, you look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves 😬.

I dont but then again dont foresee the need. For what they cost, they are handy to have around for curiosity sakes and maybe even take with you, specially if regular visits as not to come across as being a sponger or even as to be thoughtful/mindful which you appear to be and its a nice trait to have! 👍

I've gone for the cheap and ubiquitous one (there's basically only one for about a tenner).
My concern is more a couple of members of the senior generation who think that all of the town's streetlights will dim as soon as I plug it in, and need data to be convinced otherwise!