Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Pin Charger Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking some advice, I have a MY arriving in a couple of weeks and I'm just going to use the 3pin plug option to charge it. The only issue is that the car is about 12m away from the outside socket.

Any recommendations on brands to look at / avoid? There looks to be lots on amazon but with something that's taking constant high watts overnight I want one that is quality.

Also the slow charge time is no issue for me as I don't use the overnight tariffs due to how much electricity we use during the day. So I will probably charge at 8-9 amp to not overload anything.

Looking some advice, I have a MY arriving in a couple of weeks and I'm just going to use the 3pin plug option to charge it. The only issue is that the car is about 12m away from the outside socket.

Any recommendations on brands to look at / avoid? There looks to be lots on amazon but with something that's taking constant high watts overnight I want one that is quality.

Also the slow charge time is no issue for me as I don't use the overnight tariffs due to how much electricity we use during the day. So I will probably charge at 8-9 amp to not overload anything.
Probably this has some of the links that gives info about extension leads and water protection etc., I think the cable the comes with the car is around 5m or 10m long - I can’t remember.

The only issue is that the car is about 12m away from the outside socket.

Tough Leads have good quality extension leads

"H07RN-F" rubber cable, so it wont crack in winter like a cheap extension lead, and will take some abuse (e.g. being driven over)

13AMP sockets are not designed to be used "flat out" for long periods. If your outside socket / ring main isn't new then worth considering if it is up to the job. At the least feel the plug, after its been on a while, to see if it is getting hot.

You may also want a "DriBox" or similar so that the extension socket / UMC plug is waterproof. For temporary solution its Bucket + 2-bricks : Brick on the ground, socket/plug on top of that (to keep it off surface water), bucket over (waterproofing!), and then brick on top of bucket to stop it blowing away :)

Car will charge at around 10 MPH - to give you an idea of how long it will take, relative to how many miles you do.

Tough Leads have good quality extension leads

"H07RN-F" rubber cable, so it wont crack in winter like a cheap extension lead, and will take some abuse (e.g. being driven over)

13AMP sockets are not designed to be used "flat out" for long periods. If your outside socket / ring main isn't new then worth considering if it is up to the job. At the least feel the plug, after its been on a while, to see if it is getting hot.

You may also want a "DriBox" or similar so that the extension socket / UMC plug is waterproof. For temporary solution its Bucket + 2-bricks : Brick on the ground, socket/plug on top of that (to keep it off surface water), bucket over (waterproofing!), and then brick on top of bucket to stop it blowing away :)

Car will charge at around 10 MPH - to give you an idea of how long it will take, relative to how many miles you do.
Plus one to all that Tough leads the driBox idea. and the socket

if the outdoor socket is old and oxidised that will get hot and will be the weak point in your system so if your socket is not in pristine condition then I highly recommend replacing it with a new one as a precaution rather than waiting for it to be a problem

You don't need a 2.5mm2 extension lead btw a good 1.5mm2 one will be fine for 12 meters.

I do disagree with one thing though you will not get 10miles an hour. That is massively unrealistic in the real world. Op says he will be charging at 8-9 amps ( not necessary BTW 10 is fine subject to the above) but even at 10amp 10 miles per hour would be 220wh/m. Op did not say whether he was SR or LR but either way that is not a realistic average.
You might get that on a single long journey in the summer but more realistically you are looking at 7mph in summer and 5mph in winter taking into account warming, charging losses etc and assuming short journeys.
People are often shocked to realise that if you compare your electricity usage at the socket/charger VS the average Wh/m displayed in the car the difference will be in the order of 30% for most people. I am not saying that the car display is wrong but that it only records the energy usage while the car is moving and a surprising amount is used while it is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Plus one to both the Tough leads and the driBox idea.
Make that plus two.

Tough leads also have a cable junction option for putting the cable through your letterbox which is a handy option if you dont want to leave a window open and you dont have an external socket.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Make that plus two.

Tough leads also have a cable junction option for putting the cable through your letterbox which is a handy option if you dont want to leave a window open and you dont have an external socket.
The lead on The Tesla UMC is very thick I am not sure that you would be able to close that granny charger extension lead around it properly which would defeat the object.
I like the letter box thing but realistically I think a standard lead, the socket of which will fit through a letter box + a driBox is better for most people.
I would not trust the UMC to be out in all weather day in day out and a driBox will hold the plug, socket AND the UMC and keep them all dry.
in my case where it is for occasional use I can also coil my 10meter extension lead and put it in the dry box when not in use.

I would also recommend putting the UMC / driBox out of the sun, especially if the DriBox is black to avoid over heating in summer. Under the car works well so long as you don't forget about it and drive over it.

That is what I have and have been using it for over two years now. The lead comes with a dri-box fitted, the Tesla granny charger plugs into it without any problem. It has had almost all of its use in the Highlands of Scotland and Northern Ireland, with a few days in a dry Oxfordshire, and has been fully waterproof.

You can toss the box and any cable under the car so keep the bulk of the rain at bay. You won't forget and drive over it, because if the car is plugged into the charger you cannot engage "Drive".

I dont have a wall charger fitted. The granny charger has sufficed for my needs.

Why are you going to use the 3pin option to charge it ? Less power efficient and less safe as well as taking ridiculously longer than have a EVSE fitted with a suitable length of cable. While it depends on your usage, for most the saving on being able to charge during a cheap rate period will pay for the EVSE within a few years.

Why are you going to use the 3pin option to charge it ? Less power efficient and less safe as well as taking ridiculously longer than have a EVSE fitted with a suitable length of cable. While it depends on your usage, for most the saving on being able to charge during a cheap rate period will pay for the EVSE within a few years.
assuming an installation price of £1000 I recon it pays for itself in about £17K miles on a pure financial basis but there are lots of reasons like moving house soon why people people might not have one installed. Needing to park 12 metres away from the power does not make it easier in the Ops case but I agree its definitely worth doing if you can. We installed my dads charger in a cabinet and ran an armoured cable back to the house under the lawn for similar reasons. My dad and I did the cable and installed the cabinet etc to save time and money then just got the electrician in to do the wiring at each end and commission it.

You don't need a 2.5mm2 extension lead btw a good 1.5mm2 one will be fine for 12 meters.

Although ... I overspec'd mine on the grounds that it also had the UMC cable to accommodate too, and "anything else" that I might plug in in future .. .e.g. at Relies, my lead not enough so I also plug in their "Cheap and nasty lawn mower cable" 🤩

I know nought about Electrics, so may have wasted my money, but my thinking was "don't allow my bit to cause a strain somewhere else"

10miles an hour. That is massively unrealistic in the real world ... taking into account warming, charging losses etc and assuming short journeys

Yes, good point. Added to which UMC charging is going to be circa 10% more losses than a 7kW wall charger would be. If nothing else, the car is going to be "on" for the charging interval, so it will be chewing up that power (how much is that? from memory 200W) for the whole time, and the "whole time" is going to be 3x as long using UMC compared to 7kW wall charger

Needing to park 12 metres away from the power does not make it easier in the Ops case

Assuming a cable could be run to the "normal parking location", then putting a charger there would be much better solution IMHO. "Come home, Plug in. Done" ... but ... its £1,000 of anyone's money. But ... but ... but ... almost-everyone (with home parking) is going to have to put in an EV charger at some point.

The Pros / Cons I can think of are:

One day you will come home empty and want to charge quicker then 2.5kW
You have an EV visitor and want to charge them. UMC is (probably) not going to get them enough juice, fast enough, to get home ...
You are putting wear-and-tear on your UMC ... and replacing them isn't cheap
You have no backup ... so if your UMC dies that's it. Whereas if Wall Charger dies you still have UMC
If you go anywhere you need to take UMC with you - including coiling it up wet and horrible on some days. Or you don't take it ... and then find you need it., you will be fresh-out-of-luck Mine is in the boot of my car "always ready"
What about Pre-conditioning? Is 2.5kW enough to heat battery in winter? (It may well be, IDK)
And what about "Charge to 100% before departure"? Mine will do the last 10% in an hour, so I can charge to 90% "overnight" and then top up shortly before departure. And I can pre-condition as well (especially as kW drops when approaching 100% ... but I doubt?? that it drops below 2.5kW UMC level)

Reactions: KennethS
Although ... I overspec'd mine on the grounds that it also had the UMC cable to accommodate too, and "anything else" that I might plug in in future .. .e.g. at Relies, my lead not enough so I also plug in their "Cheap and nasty lawn mower cable" 🤩

I know nought about Electrics, so may have wasted my money, but my thinking was "don't allow my bit to cause a strain somewhere else"

Yes, good point. Added to which UMC charging is going to be circa 10% more losses than a 7kW wall charger would be. If nothing else, the car is going to be "on" for the charging interval, so it will be chewing up that power (how much is that? from memory 200W) for the whole time, and the "whole time" is going to be 3x as long using UMC compared to 7kW wall charger

Assuming a cable could be run to the "normal parking location", then putting a charger there would be much better solution IMHO. "Come home, Plug in. Done" ... but ... its £1,000 of anyone's money. But ... but ... but ... almost-everyone (with home parking) is going to have to put in an EV charger at some point.

The Pros / Cons I can think of are:

One day you will come home empty and want to charge quicker then 2.5kW
You have an EV visitor and want to charge them. UMC is (probably) not going to get them enough juice, fast enough, to get home ...
You are putting wear-and-tear on your UMC ... and replacing them isn't cheap
You have no backup ... so if your UMC dies that's it. Whereas if Wall Charger dies you still have UMC
If you go anywhere you need to take UMC with you - including coiling it up wet and horrible on some days. Or you don't take it ... and then find you need it., you will be fresh-out-of-luck Mine is in the boot of my car "always ready"
What about Pre-conditioning? Is 2.5kW enough to heat battery in winter? (It may well be, IDK)
And what about "Charge to 100% before departure"? Mine will do the last 10% in an hour, so I can charge to 90% "overnight" and then top up shortly before departure. And I can pre-condition as well (especially as kW drops when approaching 100% ... but I doubt?? that it drops below 2.5kW UMC level)
Fully agree with all of this. If you're buying an electric car, then you should ensure that you have a proper way to charge it. A 3-pin 13A (max 10A for charging purposes) plug is for temporary use only.

It should be pointed out that the Tesla UMC can also support 32A charging, using an adaptor https://shop.tesla.com/en_gb/product/blue-adapter---16a_32a- which will get you 7kw without the need for a wallbox - all that would be required when using this adaptor is an electrician to wire a 32A 'commando' socket from the fuse board to a suitable location.

Thanks for all the replies ! I had though that the extension cable was a "big no" so hadn't even considered it as an option but I think that will be the path i will go down.

Interesting i hadn't even considered things like that. Its not going to make a huge difference for each charge but will add up over time

I think for the next few months I will give the extension a go, i have a few charging locations within 2 miles of me so in an emergency I can always charge up there quickly.

Long term I probably will get one installed but we could move house in the next year so don't want to be paying out incase we do.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks for all the replies ! I had though that the extension cable was a "big no" so hadn't even considered it as an option but I think that will be the path i will go down.

Interesting i hadn't even considered things like that. Its not going to make a huge difference for each charge but will add up over time

I think for the next few months I will give the extension a go, i have a few charging locations within 2 miles of me so in an emergency I can always charge up there quickly.

Long term I probably will get one installed but we could move house in the next year so don't want to be paying out incase we do.
One could argue that installing the charge point can probably add value to your house if you're selling.

You can also look at installing a 32A commando socket, (see the lengthy thread here : Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK ).
This will cost you probably less than £300 including the UMC connector on the Tesla Shop, and you'll be able to charge at 7kW

Tesla in the UMC Manual do specifically tell you not to use an extension lead, they do not have a definition of 'suitable'.

1705062738839.png

I would add as well that if a socket is installed to support 3 pin EV charging then wiring regs require a specifically certified socket for EV charging, not a regular socket..

What all this should tell you is that drawing a continuous 10A load through a socket is not something to be taken lightly. These chargers are designed for occasional use, and if you use them for regular charging over a long period of time you are more likely to have an issue which might burn down your house etc. Many people will be lucky and never have an issue, but who wants to be the unlucky percentage.

Tesla in the UMC Manual do specifically tell you not to use an extension lead, they do not have a definition of 'suitable'.

View attachment 1008243

I would add as well that if a socket is installed to support 3 pin EV charging then wiring regs require a specifically certified socket for EV charging, not a regular socket..

What all this should tell you is that drawing a continuous 10A load through a socket is not something to be taken lightly. These chargers are designed for occasional use, and if you use them for regular charging over a long period of time you are more likely to have an issue which might burn down your house etc. Many people will be lucky and never have an issue, but who wants to be the unlucky percentage.
It is a stretch to go from need a good socket and should not use an extension lead to only suitable for occasional use. Are you sponsored by Wall Box or something?

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I regularly use the 3 pin 2kw charger and find it more than adequate. That said I have one of the BG/Masterplug sockets and it has failed in less than 18 months of use (once every 2 weeks), it’s out of warranty so they’re not interested. Suggest you beware of these that claim to be EV suitable!

Attachments

• IMG_6284.jpeg
    IMG_6284.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6282.jpeg
    IMG_6282.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 13
Had my M3P for three years now, only charge with the Granny Charger at home, I fitted a new socket and leave the Granny permanently plugged in just inside the garage door. I fitted a holster for the charger plug, so I switch the socket on and remove the plug from the holster and then plug into the car.

For 9 months of the year I charge for free from the Solar, house base load is around 400watts, The panels will generate around 4Kw, so 400 watts plus 2.2Kw - allowing for losses and the panels still generate more than the consumption - and that goes into my home batteries. If I had a dedicated charger at 7Kw then I would be paying for most of the charge.

You can up the charge rate if you want with the Granny charger by unclipping the 13amp plug and attaching the commando socket as the Granny is rated for 32 amps.