Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3/Y size comparison (gif)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lined everything up in Photoshop and did my best to match the 19" wheels. So this should give a pretty good idea of how much taller/larger the Model Y is. It is clear that the Y will have taller tires on the same wheels.
3y.gif

Thanks, this is the most useful post yet. I was trying to eyeball this with side-by-side web pages to see what the dimensional changes were from the Model 3. Last night I thought they'd only raised the roofline and rear hatch, and extended the rear doors farther and taller, but kept the same nose. Now I can clearly see the front, while visually similar, is not identical, it is a bit longer and quite a bit taller than the 3, and the front doors are also taller.

Also, I thought the wheels and tires were the same last night. But now, while it looks like they still are using the same 18 and 19" wheel, there might be slightly higher profile tires than on the 3.

The Y is somewhat bigger in every dimension, I wouldn't be surprised if also a bit wider as well - it's more clear where all of the extra room and cargo space is coming from (though the 3rd row is still going to be cramped).

Another thread manipulating images claims the wheelbase is slightly longer - did you match the wheel locations assuming the same wheelbase, or did you use a slightly longer wheelbase?

Thanks, this is the most useful post yet. I was trying to eyeball this with side-by-side web pages to see what the dimensional changes were from the Model 3. Last night I thought they'd only raised the roofline and rear hatch, and extended the rear doors farther and taller, but kept the same nose. Now I can clearly see the front, while visually similar, is not identical, it is a bit longer and quite a bit taller than the 3, and the front doors are also taller.

Also, I thought the wheels and tires were the same last night. But now, while it looks like they still are using the same 18 and 19" wheel, there might be slightly higher profile tires than on the 3.

The Y is somewhat bigger in every dimension, I wouldn't be surprised if also a bit wider as well - it's more clear where all of the extra room and cargo space is coming from (though the 3rd row is still going to be cramped).

Another thread manipulating images claims the wheelbase is slightly longer - did you match the wheel locations assuming the same wheelbase, or did you use a slightly longer wheelbase?

I matched the images by making the rear 19" wheel the same exact size. Yes, the tires are taller on the Y. The frunk should be larger. It looks like the rows of seats are closer together due to needing less horizontal legroom (since there is more vertical legroom).

They will remain folded but will serve in an emergency if I have mostly adults and a small child or two. No kid will have to sit in a lap.

I think the 5 seat version would be the more popular option. I think it's a 5+2 kids seats. Looking at where the reat seats are (visible in the 3 version of your GIF) I can't see anyone bigger than 5ft fitting in them when the GIF jumps the Y shape! You also have the problem that the foot level is higher because it's above the electric motor. So they can't sit low.

Reactions: T-Will
That's a great graphic, nice work @sreams

There's almost no shared body panels buy the looks of it. Even the headlight look different, but maybe that's just an anomaly of the renders and angles.

I doubt the wheelbase is longer, that would require a lot of subframe work, which is easy enough, but not at all cost effective. Every other manufacturer re-uses the basic floor frame for many models (VW are the masters of this), so I'd be really surprised if Tesla hasn't followed suite.

So based on how the 3rd row seats worked on my old BMW X5, which the Y may indeed be the same length as that, I can easily imagine the 3rd row seats fitting in. Amazingly in the X5, there was still further functional cargo space behind the 3rd row, though it would be much smaller on the Y due to the raking hatchback.

But here's my question though. Why design the back so crammed, when there's so much room in the front. I.e. why couldn't you sling the driver's cockpit forward another 6-8", and have our feet nearly above the front wheels? And if the wheel well starts to impinge, why not move the front wheels more forward i.e. why is there a nose at all that protrudes 8-12" forward of the wheels - in an EV there's nothing there but a frunk? Is that just our still ICE notion of what a car shape should look like? Is it for weight distribution? Is it for safety, to need a certain amount of crumple zone ahead of our feet?

This is not specific to the Y; I'm wondering this about all the Tesla car shapes.

@sreams - great job finding these pics!
I took those images and superimposed the 3 on the Y in a static pic. With your gif and this pic, we get a pretty good idea of the size differences. I would suspect that these are close, but perhaps not exactly perfect due to original photo perspectives, but as you said, the wheels lined up almost perfectly so they should be in the ball park. I'm thinking the Y may not quite be as tall as this projects out to but time will tell.
Model 3 Y Compare.png