Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3+ Years and missing some minor improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, let me clarify that every car I have ever owned had minor annoyances that NEVER were fixed. My Model S is much better now than it was 3.5 years ago when I bought it (except for the insane amount of AP nags). But there is a collection of annoyances that I believe are related that just haven't been addressed. If anybody has a suggestion on how to get this noticed by Tesla that would be appreciated. Or perhaps there are workarounds I'm not aware of.

The all revolve around unlocking and entering the vehicle. Let me start with this one:

45361877141_b88d263905_b.jpg

Yes I know it seems trivial, but with my car backed into the garage and my door from my house to the upper left in these photos it continues to be annoying to have to walk to my passenger door in order to then walk around and unplug the charger. At one point I figured it just couldn't detect me in the back of the car, but I can open the trunk no problem from behind the car.

It is possible it can detect me behind the car but not at the back side of the car, but if so it is possible for it to know that it just saw my key fob behind the car about 1 second ago and allow me to unplug the charger cable.

Another option would be to add an option to the charger screen (where you record the start time and amperage for charging at this location) to "allow vehicle to be unplugged while locked" at this location only. Or add the ability to keep the vehicle unlocked at your home location in general.

The second issue is the folding mirrors. This behavior has changed numerous times over the years but it seems to have stabilized at the current behavior which is to unfold the mirrors when you open any door. I just don't think this makes sense. Every time I want to grab something out of my car or put something into my car, the mirrors unfold and then fold in again. It is better than when they would unfold with the door handles, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

Here is my suggestion. Add a new configurable option (something they haven't really been doing over the years either) to let the user customize the mirror behavior. Perhaps one option is the current behavior, another option is when you power on the car (pushing the brake), another option is when you put it into D or R, and a last option is when you exceed say 5mph (for those who want the mirrors to stay folded in when exiting their garage or parking space).

Finally, I'd like to see a change in behavior or configuration for when the audio starts playing. Currently it starts as soon as you open any door, and for me this isn't ideal. Couldn't it start when you power on the car (putting your foot on the brake)? Do people need audio to enter the vehicle? If it is music it isn't a big deal unless you are trying to be exceptionally quiet during your vehicle entry. But for something like an audio book it is inconvenient for sure. I abandoned MP3 audio books a long time ago due to the Tesla being unable to maintain my spot on the tracks and/or playing tracks while I'm not in the car. But even with Audible over Bluetooth all of the starting and stopping seems to compound problems with the integration. Many times I'll open the passenger door to toss something in the seat (audiobook starts playing), close the door (presumably stops playing), open the driver's door (many times the audio won't start playing now), get in the car and leave. Many times the media player on the screen will show that the audio is playing (as it has a pause button instead of a play button) but it isn't. Then I will have to pause and play to get it working again.

If it would just wait until I powered on the car to start playing I'm thinking it would go a lot smoother.

PS - while we are on the topic of audio books over bluetooth, are they ever going to fix the completely random cover art issue?