Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

326 mile range - Tesla.com updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm.. something still seems fishy!

AFAIK.. the “rated” line on the energy screen is based on “EPA” testing and all of the ranges published by Tesla is based on EPA..

The mileage you guys are posting are crazy! 230 to 246 Wh/mile are numbers I’ve never even come close to!

When I google the EPA values they seem to be around 279 Wh/mile.. and of course that means the math doesn’t work anymore.

Tesla Model Y LR AWD EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings Emerge

If I keep a light touch on the accelerator, yes, I'll get 230/240. And I haven't had time to measure it but it seems a little better after the latest update.

I'm still mostly driving like I'm hypermiling in an ICE mobile. Meaning I accelerate pretty slow. I anticipate lights / stops ahead and slow down with the objective of going through the light at as high a speed as I can.

I've been setting (or trying to remember to) the 'A' trip odo before each daily run. I do live in a relatively flat area in central NJ so that probably helps.

Now here's a goal for you - Tesla Model 3 drives 606 miles on a single charge in hypermiling record

Reactions: mark95476

AFAIK.. the “rated” line on the energy screen is based on “EPA” testing and all of the ranges published by Tesla is based on EPA..

The mileage you guys are posting are crazy! 230 to 246 Wh/mile are numbers I’ve never even come close to!

When I google the EPA values they seem to be around 279 Wh/mile.. and of course that means the math doesn’t work anymore.

Driving style and speeds are big factors, so maybe that's the reason for the difference? I tend to drive 5 MPH over the speed limit and use FSD most of the time. I do stomp the gas pedal for fun, but those short bursts don't seem to affect overall efficiency that much.

Here is my TeslaFi shot showing my lifetime 231 Wh/mi (which started when I signed up for TeslaFi about 1000 miles into ownership). My total lifetime is 243 Wh/mi, which includes the car's break in period. Consumption really dropped after a few weeks. (I assume it was the car breaking in, but it could have been a SW change as well.)
20201020_093921.jpg

Reactions: mark95476
I've been playing around with FSD on and off. I find that FSD adds about 10 or more watts per mile. I attribute it to FSD doing pretty fast (maybe not for most people) acceleration from a stop and moderately hard braking coming up to a light (has to better to gradually slow down).

Will TeslaFi allow me to look at custom time ranges? For instance, we have a really cold January. Maybe I'd like to see that. Or maybe the entire summer (6/21- 9/21).

Interesting. Your average trip is just over 10 miles. But you are out a couple times a day.

Agreed.

Bay Area traffic is getting back to more normal. The previous Saturday I did 30+ miles at 212 Wh/mi through slow freeways and stop-and-go urban traffic. I was mostly on autopilot.

I plan on taking my car on long road trips, but that's only ~1% of the time I'll be driving. I'm happy with the MY's efficiency and minimal charging costs in the other 99%.

Driving style and speeds are big factors, so maybe that's the reason for the difference? I tend to drive 5 MPH over the speed limit and use FSD most of the time. I do stomp the gas pedal for fun, but those short bursts don't seem to affect overall efficiency that much.

Here is my TeslaFi shot showing my lifetime 231 Wh/mi (which started when I signed up for TeslaFi about 1000 miles into ownership). My total lifetime is 243 Wh/mi, which includes the car's break in period. Consumption really dropped after a few weeks. (I assume it was the car breaking in, but it could have been a SW change as well.)
View attachment 600423

NextMove in Germany does similar hypermiling tests and they get way over the EPA estimated range. I think they're buying a bunch of MYs for their fleet so they'll do the same tests.

Personally, I love the snappy acceleration and try to gun it as much as possible. Unfortunately, I live and work in an urban area where that's not possible most of the time. Autopilot has been a game-charger for stop-and-go traffic and I don't think I can go back.

If I keep a light touch on the accelerator, yes, I'll get 230/240. And I haven't had time to measure it but it seems a little better after the latest update.

I'm still mostly driving like I'm hypermiling in an ICE mobile. Meaning I accelerate pretty slow. I anticipate lights / stops ahead and slow down with the objective of going through the light at as high a speed as I can.

I've been setting (or trying to remember to) the 'A' trip odo before each daily run. I do live in a relatively flat area in central NJ so that probably helps.

Now here's a goal for you - Tesla Model 3 drives 606 miles on a single charge in hypermiling record

My avg Wh/mi since launch six weeks ago is 284. I'm at 2132 miles. I was holding steady at 279 till one mountain drive I just did.

Before the update, my 100% showed 316mi range and with the new update, it is showing 326mi. Here is my hypothesis on this new 10mi increase;

Trip to a mall which is a 34mi trip with regular traffic and traffic lights. (I used TezLab for trip analysis)
Before update:
avg mph: 42
distance: 34mi
Wh/mi: 253
Range expected: ~287

After update:
avg mph: 40
distance: 34mi
Wh/mi: 262
Range expected: ~285

I have compared 2 similar trips that were driven during 10:30 am and 68F temp, on Monday (before update) and Tuesday (after update). I am hoping this is a very close comparison and found that the Wh/mi is being higher, resulting in the same expected range even without the update. I did observe the Wh/mi is coming a little higher than usual during my regular local trips making me believe that the range increase may not be a real thing in the ideal world. I Will do more tests and compare to see if indeed I am getting any range increase (even 3-5 is great).