Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% range on new Model Y LR with 3 miles on it calculates to 301 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Model Y Long Range a couple hours ago and brought up with the sales associate that the max range calculates to 301 miles and not 310 miles. The outside temperature is 55F. I could swear I've never seen temperature affect the mileage vs percentage before. Did I get a lower range than advertised? I would think with no driving history and fresh off the truck, it would register as the 310 miles.

max range calculates to 301 miles

Was the car actually charged to 100% or did you calculate what you think it would say at 100% based on current state of charge? The cars BMS on a new car may not have a ton of readings, so if you want to see what it is at 100%, charge it to 100% and let it finish charging, even if it sits at 100% for a while and is still charging.

Was the car actually charged to 100% or did you calculate what you think it would say at 100% based on current state of charge? The cars BMS on a new car may not have a ton of readings, so if you want to see what it is at 100%, charge it to 100% and let it finish charging, even if it sits at 100% for a while and is still charging.
It was charged to 96%. Following the drive home, it was at 70%, 211 miles, which also calculates to 300 miles.

Reactions: PStewart
So, the answer to " was it charged to 100% or did you calculate it" is "no, it was not charged to 100% that I am aware of", or at least that is what I am reading.

I am going to refer to the other part of what I said, if that was the case:

The cars BMS on a new car may not have a ton of readings, so if you want to see what it is at 100%, charge it to 100% and let it finish charging, even if it sits at 100% for a while and is still charging.

FWIW (which isnt much) in 2018, my model 3 performance that I am still driving was supposed to be rated at 310 miles. It only charged to 307 miles. Like most new tesla owners I stressed about it and took it to Tesla. There isnt anything they can do about range unless the car is throwing a bunch of codes or something, so there is no reason to take a car with such a small discrepancy to them, but I did it anyway back then.

They told me a bunch of stuff, most of it not true but I didnt know it then just to get me to go away. I was a bit frustrated because my car was "missing 3 of the miles I paid for!!!" That was 5 years ago, and this car has been virtually trouble free the entire 5 year period.

You can try to let the BMS calibrate by charging it to 100% and then driving it and not charging it till it gets somewhat low, so that the car gets readings on its battery. Energy in a battery is not a liquid, so its all estimates, and sometimes it guesses a bit wrong, especially when it doesnt have all the data.

Or instead of charging it to 100% you can just drive it for a week or two first, before you go down the rabbit hole of "is there something wrong?... but I am going out on a limb and guessing you probably wont wait a week or two to see how the car adjusts first.

I just took delivery of my Model Y Long Range a couple hours ago and brought up with the sales associate that the max range calculates to 301 miles and not 310 miles. The outside temperature is 55F. I could swear I've never seen temperature affect the mileage vs percentage before. Did I get a lower range than advertised? I would think with no driving history and fresh off the truck, it would register as the 310 miles.
I believe the ranges on the purchase page are EPA range numbers, which reflect a test cycle wherein the car is driven until dead. The miles on the screen have some miles taken out of the number as a buffer ... about 4.5%. So what you're seeing looks kosher to me.

In a gas car without any range estimation you would just accept the number is vague and somewhat unknowable. :)

So, the answer to " was it charged to 100% or did you calculate it" is "no, it was not charged to 100% that I am aware of", or at least that is what I am reading.

I am going to refer to the other part of what I said, if that was the case:

FWIW (which isnt much) in 2018, my model 3 performance that I am still driving was supposed to be rated at 310 miles. It only charged to 307 miles. Like most new tesla owners I stressed about it and took it to Tesla. There isnt anything they can do about range unless the car is throwing a bunch of codes or something, so there is no reason to take a car with such a small discrepancy to them, but I did it anyway back then.

They told me a bunch of stuff, most of it not true but I didnt know it then just to get me to go away. I was a bit frustrated because my car was "missing 3 of the miles I paid for!!!" That was 5 years ago, and this car has been virtually trouble free the entire 5 year period.

You can try to let the BMS calibrate by charging it to 100% and then driving it and not charging it till it gets somewhat low, so that the car gets readings on its battery. Energy in a battery is not a liquid, so its all estimates, and sometimes it guesses a bit wrong, especially when it doesnt have all the data.

Or instead of charging it to 100% you can just drive it for a week or two first, before you go down the rabbit hole of "is there something wrong?... but I am going out on a limb and guessing you probably wont wait a week or two to see how the car adjusts first.
Yeah, one of the reasons I went ahead and went with the LR vs the P was because I've found myself looking more to optimizing the drives and being gentle on the charges. I'll be charging to 50 or 60% until I take a road trip in late May where I'll finally let it charge to 100% right before driving it. I want to do a couple things this time around. 1. Regularly charge in that sweet spot, 2. Limit my depth of discharge, 3. Accelerate less from stops. Based on some videos I've seen talking about studies on battery degradation, I'm excited to be starting with a fresh one to see how well those do in practice. :)

I believe the ranges on the purchase page are EPA range numbers, which reflect a test cycle wherein the car is driven until dead. The miles on the screen have some miles taken out of the number as a buffer ... about 4.5%. So what you're seeing looks kosher to me.

In a gas car without any range estimation you would just accept the number is vague and somewhat unknowable. :)
I bought my Model 3 Performance with 4600 miles and 6 months of use and it was at the rated range for the first month, so this is my first time with an actual new Tesla. :D

Yeah, one of the reasons I went ahead and went with the LR vs the P was because I've found myself looking more to optimizing the drives and being gentle on the charges. I'll be charging to 50 or 60% until I take a road trip in late May where I'll finally let it charge to 100% right before driving it. I want to do a couple things this time around. 1. Regularly charge in that sweet spot, 2. Limit my depth of discharge, 3. Accelerate less from stops. Based on some videos I've seen talking about studies on battery degradation, I'm excited to be starting with a fresh one to see how well those do in practice. :)

Just know that all of that stuff, while better for the battery is NOT better for the Battery Maintenance software (BMS) in ESTIMATING range. So, doing all that stuff is going to be better for the actual battery and likely worse for the display of "miles left" on your screen.

if you are going to do all that (because you have obviously gone down the battery rabbit hole) then you need to get used to ignoring the miles left number on your battery now, not later, because its likely going to be inaccurate and read less miles left than your battery could actually go.

TL ; DR , if you are doing all that, get used to ignoring the number now, not later. if you cant ignore the number and how low it looks, then you probably dont want to do all the "im only gonna charge to 50% except on tuesday when I go to the grocery store, then I will charge to 58.69%" type stuff.

Just know that all of that stuff, while better for the battery is NOT better for the Battery Maintenance software (BMS) in ESTIMATING range. So, doing all that stuff is going to be better for the actual battery and likely worse for the display of "miles left" on your screen.

if you are going to do all that (because you have obviously gone down the battery rabbit hole) then you need to get used to ignoring the miles left number on your battery now, not later, because its likely going to be inaccurate and read less miles left than your battery could actually go.

TL ; DR , if you are doing all that, get used to ignoring the number now, not later. if you cant ignore the number and how low it looks, then you probably dont want to do all the "im only gonna charge to 50% except on tuesday when I go to the grocery store, then I will charge to 58.69%" type stuff.
I switched to percentage on the 3 a long time ago. I was just expecting to confirm it was at 310 miles at 100% based on no previous drives on it. Thanks for confirming it's not unusual. I have found that with TeslaFi range (which I think basically just does what I did here), my range would fluctuate and didn't always seem to be temperature dependent. I read where charging at different percentages and letting it sleep at those percentages helps the BMS too. Have you heard that?

Fluid gasoline quantity you can measure by weight or volume. Battery capacity and state of charge is inferred.

Its like asking you to lift an arbitrary weight in the late afternoon, and using that to estimate maximum weight you could have lifted at the start of the day, and how much weight in total you can lift for the rest of the day.

Forget the percent by percent minutiae observed over 1 day and drive your car for months. Soon you’ll get a better feel for the battery performance of the car and its long term health trend. If its bad enough to be warrantiable, itll become obvious.

Otherwise, much ado about nothing.

Reactions: father_of_6
FWIW my month-old 2024 MY LR also consistently reports about 300 miles range, not the 310 shown on the sticker.

In contrast the 2019 M3 LR it replaced consistently reported 311 miles, exactly the same as the EPA rating (making me wonder if the software was creating this consistency artificially...).

Whatever. The MY is quite nice on road trips, 3300 miles already, and the expanding supercharger network helps with that.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
FWIW my month-old 2024 MY LR also consistently reports about 300 miles range, not the 310 shown on the sticker.

In contrast the 2019 M3 LR it replaced consistently reported 311 miles, exactly the same as the EPA rating (making me wonder if the software was creating this consistency artificially...).

Whatever. The MY is quite nice on road trips, 3300 miles already, and the expanding supercharger network helps with that.
Someone on Facebook said that their Model Y LR on pickup was 288 miles at 96% at very close to the same temperature too, so it appears to be a case of the BMS like the moderator pointed out just providing an estimate. At the very least, I feel it is probably not uncommon to have that type of calculation off the line and who knows, maybe it is really just a 300 mile range vehicle. That won't change the fact that Out Of Spec was able to drive one 286 miles at 70mph with 20" tires and good warm weather. That's a good number!. I was impressed that on my drive from the service center that it was at 275 Wh/mi in mid-50's and driving rain and probably a headwind with the heater on.

Don't worry too much about all of the BMS and projected range "hand wringing". I recently got a chance to drive our 2021 MYP from 100% to 10% in highway driving (most at 80 mph, a little stop and go traffic) and a couple hours of parking with Sentry mode on. I was surprised I went 275 miles. There's a million little details that will determine your actual range on any given day, so drive, charge, repeat, and enjoy.

For whatever reasons, Tesla has been changing their mileage estimates downwards, towards more accuracy. My 2023 MYP was supposed to do 301 miles at 100%, if I recall correctly. Then around December the 100% estimates dropped to 285, and now 259. These are (were) Tesla's estimates for a new vehicle. I know that a different EPA test cycle was used, May not sound so good on paper, but it is more realistic. I've not checked my own car to see what it guesstimates.

For whatever reasons, Tesla has been changing their mileage estimates downwards, towards more accuracy. My 2023 MYP was supposed to do 301 miles at 100%, if I recall correctly. Then around December the 100% estimates dropped to 285, and now 259. These are (were) Tesla's estimates for a new vehicle. I know that a different EPA test cycle was used, May not sound so good on paper, but it is more realistic. I've not checked my own car to see what it guesstimates.
Pretty sure it's just a typo and you meant 279.
The trend toward more accuracy I believe is really a good thing. The previous estimates were not at all representative of real life.

It definitely seems to be fairly common at the very least. If the stated range was 300 miles, I would've still bought it.

The reasons I shared my own personal vehicle story from my 2018 model 3P were:

1. To show that this type of thing has been going on for at least some vehicles for quite some time
2. to show that I believe its normal for a new owner to obsess about this stuff
3. to temper the advice I was giving, which when you boil it down is "dont worry about it / its normal /" with a story showing that even though I know this NOW, I didnt before, and something very similar happened to me.
4. To show that even though my car was one of those this happened to, its been one that has been remarkably good to me. especially mechanically.