Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

340 KWH in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Though 150 KWH isn't usable for propulsion :D

I did some calculations and a 20 lb bottle of propane has 126 KWH of energy. Another example of how poor ICE engines are. I can fit almost 3X the energy of the battery pack in the way back, but good luck getting 300 miles of range out of a 5000 lb ICE with that little fuel.

I did have a Tesla moment getting the propane. On Memorial Day weekend I had the car towed to the same shop because I got a bad flat. The guy who filled the propane bottle was the same guy who fixed the flat. He was extremely impressed by the car when he drove if across the parking lot after fixing the flat.

. Propane.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and Boourns
Electricity: 3414 BTU's/1kWh
Propane: 84,250 BTU's/gallon
Gasoline: 112,114 BTU's/gallon

20 pounds propane = 4.73 gallons = 398502.5 BTU's
90 kW Battery Pack = 307260 BTU's
13 gallons gasoline = 1,457,482 BTU's

What amazes me is how little actual energy is stored in the battery pack comparatively, and how little energy comparatively it takes to power and propel a Tesla.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Boourns

What amazes me is how little actual energy is stored in the battery pack comparatively, and how little energy comparatively it takes to power and propel a Tesla.

I got 26.82 KWh/gal (91,500 BTU/gal) from here:
Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia

The difference is probably from the way the energy is measured and/or quality of the fuel.

Propane is on the low end of energy density for a fossil fuel. It really is amazing how much energy is packed into those fuels.

I got 26.82 KWh/gal (91,500 BTU/gal) from here:
Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia

The difference is probably from the way the energy is measured and/or quality of the fuel.

Propane is on the low end of energy density for a fossil fuel. It really is amazing how much energy is packed into those fuels.
Packed being the operative word. Lot's of packing in a few million years. Or six thousand if you believe in fairy tales.:D

You forgot nuclear fuel, E=mc2 ;)

Gasoline stores way more energy per weight and volume than batteries. The problem is gasoline to mechanical energy wastes as much as 80% on heat. Electric is much more efficient. It doesn't take any more energy to propel an electric car vs. ICE car of the same weight and aerodynamics. Of course EV's tend to be heavier, so they actually take more energy to move, however they also can regen brake - something pure ICE doesn't do (hybrids can).

Reactions: MarkKW
You forgot nuclear fuel, E=mc2 ;)

Gasoline stores way more energy per weight and volume than batteries. The problem is gasoline to mechanical energy wastes as much as 80% on heat. Electric is much more efficient. It doesn't take any more energy to propel an electric car vs. ICE car of the same weight and aerodynamics. Of course EV's tend to be heavier, so they actually take more energy to move, however they also can regen brake - something pure ICE doesn't do (hybrids can).

Matter+anti-matter? :D