TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

340 KWH in a Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wdolson, Jul 18, 2018.

1. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Though 150 KWH isn't usable for propulsion :D

I did some calculations and a 20 lb bottle of propane has 126 KWH of energy. Another example of how poor ICE engines are. I can fit almost 3X the energy of the battery pack in the way back, but good luck getting 300 miles of range out of a 5000 lb ICE with that little fuel.

I did have a Tesla moment getting the propane. On Memorial Day weekend I had the car towed to the same shop because I got a bad flat. The guy who filled the propane bottle was the same guy who fixed the flat. He was extremely impressed by the car when he drove if across the parking lot after fixing the flat.

. Propane.JPG

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Electricity: 3414 BTU's/1kWh
    Propane: 84,250 BTU's/gallon
    Gasoline: 112,114 BTU's/gallon

20 pounds propane = 4.73 gallons = 398502.5 BTU's
    90 kW Battery Pack = 307260 BTU's
    13 gallons gasoline = 1,457,482 BTU's

What amazes me is how little actual energy is stored in the battery pack comparatively, and how little energy comparatively it takes to power and propel a Tesla.

• Like x 2
  3. ai4px

ai4px Member

An ICE engine is a heat engine that, as a secondary byproduct makes a car go down the road. The EV skips the heat step.

4. SSedan

SSedan Member

ICE blow over 60% out the radiator and tailpipe.
    ICE vehicles do take more to push down the road but not that much more.

• Informative x 1
  5. wdolson

I got 26.82 KWh/gal (91,500 BTU/gal) from here:
    Gasoline gallon equivalent - Wikipedia

The difference is probably from the way the energy is measured and/or quality of the fuel.

Propane is on the low end of energy density for a fossil fuel. It really is amazing how much energy is packed into those fuels.

6. Unpilot

Unpilot Active Member

Packed being the operative word. Lot's of packing in a few million years. Or six thousand if you believe in fairy tales.:D

• Funny x 5
  7. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

When I go to refill the propane tanks for the grill I stick them in the same spot, they fit great!

8. wdolson

I started out with them loose and realized my mistake by the time I got down the hill. I call that place below the floor the "smuggler's hold". It's a great place to stick things so they don't roll around.

9. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Good luck stopping the cats from rolling around, I haven't found a solution in many years!

• Funny x 1
  10. wdolson

Keeping cats from rolling around is tougher when the cat is double jointed

MooseTwist.jpg

11. whitex

whitex Active Member

You forgot nuclear fuel, E=mc2 ;)

Gasoline stores way more energy per weight and volume than batteries. The problem is gasoline to mechanical energy wastes as much as 80% on heat. Electric is much more efficient. It doesn't take any more energy to propel an electric car vs. ICE car of the same weight and aerodynamics. Of course EV's tend to be heavier, so they actually take more energy to move, however they also can regen brake - something pure ICE doesn't do (hybrids can).

• Like x 1
  12. SSedan

SSedan Member

The radiator and open bottom cooling for the drivetrain and exhaust system make ICE aerodynamics suffer.

13. wdolson

Matter+anti-matter? :D