Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I'd like to see is a commitment to support them indefinitely. Not free obviously, but give me the option of replacing the battery eventually. This is a hot topic among Nissan Leaf drivers. I'll be 46 or 47 when I take delivery and I'd like the M3 to be my "forever car." Obviously batteries wear out, and I'd be willing to shell out $10-15k or whatever for a new pack in 10 years. Elon mentioned they have a goal of making the drive train last a million miles. If they can achieve that, and barring an accident where I total it, I don't see a reason why I can't keep it until I'm too old to drive. That would be a heck of a selling point. "The last car you'll ever need to buy." Wishful thinking I know, but it would help a lot of regular working class people overcome the high purchase price.

One thing I'd like to see is a commitment to support them indefinitely. Not free obviously, but give me the option of replacing the battery eventually. This is a hot topic among Nissan Leaf drivers. I'll be 46 or 47 when I take delivery and I'd like the M3 to be my "forever car." Obviously batteries wear out, and I'd be willing to shell out $10-15k or whatever for a new pack in 10 years. Elon mentioned they have a goal of making the drive train last a million miles. If they can achieve that, and barring an accident where I total it, I don't see a reason why I can't keep it until I'm too old to drive. That would be a heck of a selling point. "The last car you'll ever need to buy." Wishful thinking I know, but it would help a lot of regular working class people overcome the high purchase price.

That sounds like a Don Draper pitch.

Thats an interesting idea, and I completely get it, but I dont think you would really want that in reality. Safety features alone, not to mention everything else, will increase so much in 10-15 years that the thought of buying a battery for $15k versus getting a brand new car for nearly the same price wont really make sense. In 10-15 years they may have seriously competitive cars at the same price point as that battery. I know it isn't quite the same, but Imagine having said that about the original iPhone and comparing it to even a cheap modern smart phone... Bad.

A real world example is that the new Roadster Battery is $29k installed. That may be worth it for some, but at that price you are 1/2 way to a base model S and get so many more features.

Maybe Model S/X/3 generation 2 will have 5 minute super charging some how? Or be fully autonomous in 10 years?

Cameras failing, software outpacing the hardware, general wear and tear on the body of the car... All the other reasons people sell their cars. If the battery were CHEAP I could see it, but it cannot be nearly the price of an entirely new car.

Just remember, as the cost of electric vehicles go down, so will the cost of battery pack replacements. If a replacement cost is $15k now and considering even a 5% reduction in cost each year over 10 years. That is $8k in 10 years. The cost savings of only replacing battery packs and not vehicles is significant depending on annual mileage (if you don't mind keeping the same for for 20,30,40 years) Plus, the savings from insurance and registrations adds up over time by keeping your car for long periods of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I forgot to mention.

I will reserve M3 on day one for sure. Looking to buy, estimating $50k-$55k (largest battery, tech package, sub zero package, pano roof if available, D, autopilot, SC). I am really hoping M3 maintains alluminum and not steel for majority of vehicle :-/

Somewhere in these forums it was mentioned that after the first 8 years of the existing Tesla battery back, if charged to recommended levels, the battery will only have lost about 10% of its original capacity. I can't remember if that was actually a Tesla estimate, or if it was one of the forum geniuses who actually understands battery chemistry (I certainly don't). The point is, you probably won't want or need to replace the battery if it suits your needs when you buy it. Unless your needs change over time, the battery will likely continue to serve you well.

However, technology does increase by leaps and bounds year after year. I'm not just referring to battery technology, but technology in general. And since a Tesla is an advanced collection of technology (computer on wheels!), you just might find it a better option to upgrade the whole car rather than just the battery.

Original Model S coverage lasts for 4 years (or 50,000 miles), with an extension of another 4 years for $4K. After that 8 years, repairs can be prohibitively expensive, so for me, I plan on upgrading my Teslas (mine and my wife's) no more than every 8 years. Newer technology, better batteries, covered repairs. Peace of mind.

Somewhere in these forums it was mentioned that after the first 8 years of the existing Tesla battery back, if charged to recommended levels, the battery will only have lost about 10% of its original capacity. I can't remember if that was actually a Tesla estimate, or if it was one of the forum geniuses who actually understands battery chemistry (I certainly don't). The point is, you probably won't want or need to replace the battery if it suits your needs when you buy it. Unless your needs change over time, the battery will likely continue to serve you well.

If that turns out to be the case then I won't. But I'm thinking very long term. I'm not the type of person who buys a new car every 5 years. Like somebody upthread mentioned - give me 200+ miles range and supercharger access and that would almost be enough for me. Saving up for the M3 will be the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I'm not going to do it again. The beauty of a paid off low maintenance electric car is I can take that savings and do other things like invest for my retirement, pay down my mortgage, etc. So $15k, $10, $8k, whatever it is, it will be better for me than constantly buying a new car when the old one dies. I don't need new gizmos.

While thinking about this last night I thought of a potential problem. I suspect if Tesla hadn't already introduced pay for charging by then, they'll have to charge another $2k per replacement pack since you are effectively extending the life of your vehicle.

I made the switch back to using my bike for most of my travel miles. Traffic in Seattle area sucks, I may as well use my commute time to get exercise. My EV lease ends in Feb and I will get a pickup as a bike mover for events and friends. When my wife's car ages out I will get a model 3 or a 200 mile EV as price allows. When the used pickup dies I will consider a Tesla truck if one exists and is suitable.

I made the switch back to using my bike for most of my travel miles. Traffic in Seattle area sucks, I may as well use my commute time to get exercise. My EV lease ends in Feb and I will get a pickup as a bike mover for events and friends. When my wife's car ages out I will get a model 3 or a 200 mile EV as price allows. When the used pickup dies I will consider a Tesla truck if one exists and is suitable.
GREAT Ebike forum here:
Endless-sphere.com Index page

Another thing to keep in mind when deciding how long to wait to buy the Model 3 is whether you live in a state with a pool of money for EV rebates. For instance, I live in Massachusetts, and they have already issued $2.25 M in EV rebates, they are pending issue of another $563 K, and they only have $900 K still available to give out. For the Model 3, that's a $2,500 rebate that will otherwise be money out of the buyer's pocket when the pool of funds expires.

Tesla lists summaries and state links here: http://www.teslamotors.com/support/incentives

For me, if I wait too long the cost of the Model 3 will be $2.5 K higher if Mass runs out of rebate monies. I definitely want sooner rather than later. YMMV.