Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The winter package has better window defrost.
Sure about that? I've never heard that before.

To be fair, it gets to -40 at night. However it will remain in the -30s throughout the day. These are the days where you'll see me so bundled up with my daily walks that the only thing visible on my face are my eyes.
There's another way to deal with those temps...

Move! :biggrin:

When it gets overly cold even the slight moisture in the air will freeze to your windows almost instantly. The winter package has better window defrost. Also, it takes time for a conventional car to warm up, so cold that my hands get painfully cold, even with gloves on, and mittens are impractical to drive in. So the heated steering wheel would be a plus. The heated seats are a plus.

To be fair, it gets to -40 at night. However it will remain in the -30s throughout the day. These are the days where you'll see me so bundled up with my daily walks that the only thing visible on my face are my eyes.

Bjorn Nyland, who has a slew of videos on YouTube about Teslas has a Model S in Norway (he's also the first to win a Model X in the referral promotion). One of his videos run down the options on the Model S and their value. He got the cold weather package because he lives in Norway, but didn't really think that was worth it in the end. It's probably worth tracking down the video to see his opinions on the features in that package.

Just for my curiosity — what aspect of the winter package so important to you ? Is it the heated windshield wipers/sprays nozzle or rather the heated steering wheel/back seats ? (and more importantly, for what reason ?)

It seems to me that since the car can be preheated the winter package only helps with range, right ?

(To be clear, this is not a tongue in cheek or a snarky comment. I've never experienced temperatures as low as -40.)

When the car's been driven to work on a cold winter's day, then parked in the middle of a 20 degree parking lot getting snowed on half the day, then you slosh out in the mess, dust off your car and get in... Well, even if you preheat the car 20 minutes before you go out, then you get in and crank up the heated seats, you're hands and body are cold, and the steering wheel is still literally freezing. That's when I wish I had the heated steering wheel just to get the feeling in my fingers back quicker before hitting the roads. I can't even imagine -40.

When the car's been driven to work on a cold winter's day, then parked in the middle of a 20 degree parking lot getting snowed on half the day, then you slosh out in the mess, dust off your car and get in... Well, even if you preheat the car 20 minutes before you go out, then you get in and crank up the heated seats, you're hands and body are cold, and the steering wheel is still literally freezing. That's when I wish I had the heated steering wheel just to get the feeling in my fingers back quicker before hitting the roads. I can't even imagine -40.

Never had a heated steering wheel or heated rear seats so neither are that important. Heated front seats are a definite since I have them now and wouldn't mind having the wiper blade defrosters and washing nozzle heaters. Nothing worse than having to get out of the carl to clear ice/snow off the wipers and windshield washer in a snow storm. So I'd be fine if they unbundled the Model S winter package to reduce costs but doubt they would do that except perhaps the rear seats.

Hey, if I win a lottery...
Well, in fairness, I've seen -20F quite a bit, and -30F once or twice. Once you get down into the minus-teens Fahrenheit, it doesn't seem to change much; it's just painful.

Since there's a good chance I'll cancel my X reservation and wait for the 3, I'll answer the OP's questions:

1 - I'll probably target an AWD performance model, with most of the toys. I tend to keep cars a long time, so the cost is amortized over 8-10 years. I'd rather buy more then I need than less than I want...

2 - Buying. Leasing only makes sense if you fit the specific terms of the lease (mileage, trade-in after 2-3 years, OK with continuous payments). I don't fit those parameters (8-10 years ownership, 25K miles/year, pay cash, drive it into the ground/wheels fall off).

3 - Reserving the moment I can. If they offer a Signature edition, I'll bite...

1. yes yes and yes, I want a (nearly) fully loaded performance (comparable to bmw m3). Margic # is under 60k. If it's much more than that, I'll be getting a used P85

2. whatever...maybe lease and THEN buy (if tech isnt X% better after 3 years). Based on the rate of improvements on the model S, I'm tempted to lease.

3. Nope, I want to get a mid 10k-20k reservation. Let them work out the kinks and then grab an "early" res.

A mid 10k-20k reservation is likely to be somewhere between 0 and 5 minutes after they open the floodgates to reservations.

Nah. I suspect that before the first five minutes is up, the servers will have essentially crashed. They'll get hit so hard that only a lucky few will actually get a reservation in. 10K in the first hour? Possibly. And likely several times that by day's end. Every hour someone waits after the site opens could easily translate to another month for delivery. So yeah, I'll be one of those people slamming the servers in the first five minutes. And I'll be doing it from 3 different computers in the hopes that one actually makes it through. And I certainly won't be the only person doing that!

And I'll be doing it from 3 different computers in the hopes that one actually makes it through. And I certainly won't be the only person doing that!

Reminds me of trying to book a camping site in Algonquin park. My wife and I had 5 different devices logged in racing to get our booking 5 months prior to camping date. I can't imagine how busy the TM site will be on booking day. I'll sure do my part to add to the traffic.

Maybe they will have some sort of event in California so us locals can jump the online process :biggrin:

One thing I've thought about recently is how Tesla will basically have the market covered not long after Model 3 is revealed. Look at the price of CPO model S now, those cars are starting to fill in the $50-$70k hole below the cheapest new Model S. Once Model 3's start getting turned over that should start to fill in that 20-30k range.

One thing that could tempt me to not wait for the Model 3 is a refresh of the Model S. I think the Model S still looks great but it's getting to that age where a refresh could happen and I don't want the last old version that rolls off the line. The other issue with the S is I don't know if it will fit in my garage and I don't have a small garage. I do prefer the BMW 3 series size (current is 335D) vs the 5 series and I can't imagine driving a 7 series but that is based on fuel comsumption. Give me a Model 3 P85DL that goes 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and gets 280-300 miles and i'm good, just don't make it look anything like a leaf.

Well, I was thinking of replacing my 2008 BMW MINI-E with a 2016 Volt, assuming the Model 3 would be years off, but since orders are going to start up in March, might as well go straight to the end game! So I joined this site today as a future M3 owner, so here are my thoughts:

1. $35 starting price-- I'm betting SC will be a cost option, so adding that plus the biggest battery (66?), plus a D and tech package, I'm expecting to drop about $50k for my Model 3 66D. As long as the lowest performing version can whup my MINI-E, I'm good there, just want the max range.

2. Buy. I plan on putting on way too many miles for a lease.

3. Not sure I'll reserve day one. As long as it takes me to fully digest the reveal info I suppose.

Looking forward to the 2-year+ wait! . I love the MINI-E I'm using as part of a University research project, and will hate to turn it back in next summer!

Well, I was thinking of replacing my 2008 BMW MINI-E with a 2016 Volt, assuming the Model 3 would be years off, but since orders are going to start up in March, might as well go straight to the end game! So I joined this site today as a future M3 owner, so here are my thoughts:

1. $35 starting price-- I'm betting SC will be a cost option, so adding that plus the biggest battery (66?), plus a D and tech package, I'm expecting to drop about $50k for my Model 3 66D. As long as the lowest performing version can whup my MINI-E, I'm good there, just want the max range.

3. Not sure I'll reserve day one. As long as it takes me to fully digest the reveal info I suppose.

Looking forward to the 2-year+ wait! . I love the MINI-E I'm using as part of a University research project, and will hate to turn it back in next summer!

I don't need any features, I just want the car. Bring on March!

Welcome to the forum. You seem to have a good grasp of the possibilities and a realistic expectation surrounding what you want. Good luck, it will be worth the wait.

For me, I will reserve a Model 3 only if I don't pull the trigger on a Model S. The Model 3 fits my needs so much better than a Model S, but as my tagline says, I doubt I can wait for it. I may just buy the S then sell it to buy a Model 3. That will give me 2 to 3 years to enjoy a Tesla before buying another Tesla. :)

There are more than a few speculations regarding this car. Some of the ideas are nice, others not so.
We all have to keep in mind this car will have to compete against the raging champ BMW 3 series. I expect it to be very similar to its competitor. If it starts to look like a volt or God forbid an i3, they will not sell well.

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of the model 3 as well. I would've pulled the trigger on the S, but it's simply too big of a car for what I'll use it for. The 3 is what I'm anticipating.

I have confidence they'll bring it to market looking like a miniature Model S. As long as its RWD and offers the 90 battery pack, I'm more than willing to put my reservation down on the 1st day.