Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.2.1 Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 36.2.1 and installed over weekend. I have since noticed the following problems:

1. I immediately noticed that regen was acting squirrely - sometimes I got none and other times it has kicked in, but the braking action is far less than I am accustomed to.

2. I also have no new Hold option available.

3. I am also now briefly seeing a yellow Warning ! triangle icon at about 4 o'clock on the energy meter dial. It goes away after I drive awhile.

4. I also got (just once) a yellow dashed arc (instead of solid gray) from the 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock position on the same dial. At other times I may get a partial dashed arc.

Are others getting these problems also? Any resolution?

Always be clear about your car and the computers. VERY useful if you just put this info in your Sig. Update here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/account/signature
What year is your X?
What is your MCU? 1 or 2
What is your AP/HW? 1, 2, 2.5, or 3

I don't have Hold on my X but it is pre-Raven.

I don't know what "Raven" is?

Year is 2017 (December).
MCU is 1
AP/HW is 2.5 (best I can tell from build date?)

I don't know what "Raven" is?
Year is 2017 (December).
MCU is 1
AP/HW is 2.5 (best I can tell from build date?)
FYI, I have only driven my June 2017 X with 36.2.1 for one day. I'm MCU1/AP2.0. I think you are right that you have AP/HW2.5

Raven is the common term for the upgrade S and Xs that have a few enhances. The related one is they have permanent magnet [PM] reluctance motors, like the ones found in Model 3.
With Model S and Model X, Tesla has been using AC induction electric motors for years, but the company switched to permanent magnet electric motors when introducing the Model 3 back in 2017. Search: tesla model x raven "model 3" motor - Google Search

Hold Mode currently only works with vehicles having the PM motors as they have different techical abilities to stop/regen down to 0 MPH. Elon indicated in a tweet that HOLD/stopping can be software. This makes perfect sense as my AC motor based X (like yours) can stop to 0 MPH while in AutoPilot or just using TACC. HTH

I don't know of about the rest of your questions. I do get some extra dinging (beeping) when I unhook my seat belt now. I have heard this from others related to 36.2.1.

Did you get that cold wave in TX around the same time as the update? The power limit and regen limit dotted lines appear on the power graph when the battery is cold.
Only cars with the newer front motors (with permanent magnets like the Model 3 motor) will get the new hold feature. The “Raven” suspension/motor upgrades to the S and X earlier this year will get it but not older models.

I got 36.2.1 and installed over weekend. I have since noticed the following problems:

1. I immediately noticed that regen was acting squirrely - sometimes I got none and other times it has kicked in, but the braking action is far less than I am accustomed to.

I'm guessing this is related to outside temperature and not the software update. I'm in Austin and this past week I've started getting regen limited. You will also see this for a battery that is near fully charged (~95%)

2. I also have no new Hold option available.

Only the March 2019+ S/X cars and the Model 3 cars have hold mode available. It is done with the new permanent magnet motor. The original motor will not allow regen below ~5mph.

3. I am also now briefly seeing a yellow Warning ! triangle icon at about 4 o'clock on the energy meter dial. It goes away after I drive awhile.

The yellow triangle is trying to alert you that the regen is limited. This is typically due to a temp (or a battery charged over ~95%). As you drive the battery warms up and it allows regen. It could also be due to high state of charge - as you drive the state of charge is lower and it alllows more regen.

A cold or high charge battery will not accept a lot of input current, so the car limits regen braking as there is no where for the energy to go.

4. I also got (just once) a yellow dashed arc (instead of solid gray) from the 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock position on the same dial. At other times I may get a partial dashed arc.

The dashed arc is showing exactly how much the regen braking is limited.

FYI, I have only driven my June 2017 X with 36.2.1 for one day. I'm MCU1/AP2.0. I think you are right that you have AP/HW2.5

Raven is the common term for the upgrade S and Xs that have a few enhances. The related one is they have permanent magnet [PM] reluctance motors, like the ones found in Model 3.
With Model S and Model X, Tesla has been using AC induction electric motors for years, but the company switched to permanent magnet electric motors when introducing the Model 3 back in 2017. Search: tesla model x raven "model 3" motor - Google Search

Hold Mode currently only works with vehicles having the PM motors as they have different techical abilities to stop/regen down to 0 MPH. Elon indicated in a tweet that HOLD/stopping can be software. This makes perfect sense as my AC motor based X (like yours) can stop to 0 MPH while in AutoPilot or just using TACC. HTH

I don't know of about the rest of your questions. I do get some extra dinging (beeping) when I unhook my seat belt now. I have heard this from others related to 36.2.1.

So:

A. You're saying that this car doesn't have the PM motors?
B. Have you not felt the regen difference since the update was installed?

This has nothing to do with the software update. Please read your manual - when you are in cold ambient temperature, regen is limited to protect charging the battery too aggressively when cold and damaging it. Presumably you are moving into colder weather where you live and this is a coincidental association with the software update. To minimise this issue, time your charging to complete just before you drive off in the morning, as the battery is heated during the charging cycle and if it's still warm when you begin driving regen will not be limited.

This has nothing to do with the software update. Please read your manual - when you are in cold ambient temperature, regen is limited to protect charging the battery too aggressively when cold and damaging it. Presumably you are moving into colder weather where you live and this is a coincidental association with the software update. To minimise this issue, time your charging to complete just before you drive off in the morning, as the battery is heated during the charging cycle and if it's still warm when you begin driving regen will not be limited.

You have a good point except his location say Cypress (houstan) TX. See a weeks worth of weather there. They had a low of 58F (14.4C) today.

PM1Qjxr.jpg

I'm guessing this is related to outside temperature and not the software update. I'm in Austin and this past week I've started getting regen limited. You will also see this for a battery that is near fully charged (~95%)

[snip]

The yellow triangle is trying to alert you that the regen is limited. This is typically due to a temp (or a battery charged over ~95%). As you drive the battery warms up and it allows regen. It could also be due to high state of charge - as you drive the state of charge is lower and it alllows more regen.

A cold or high charge battery will not accept a lot of input current, so the car limits regen braking as there is no where for the energy to go.

The dashed arc is showing exactly how much the regen braking is limited.

Thanks!

As it tuned out, I had just charged to 85% - do you suppose that the 95% you quoted is just an estimated charge level where regen is abbreviated?

And also, as it turns out, the dashed arc was immediately following a charge.

I'll say this, though - the car is almost 2 years old - I've never changed the charging limit from 85%, and I've never seen these other indications pop up. WTH?

Yes - temperatures here plunged to a frigid 56 that night! :)

Thanks for the charging timing tip. My habitual practice is to put the car in the garage in the evening and just plug it in and let 'er rip. I'll try to get more strategic in the charging protocol.

So:

A. You're saying that this car doesn't have the PM motors?
B. Have you not felt the regen difference since the update was installed?

A. Correct. 'Ravens' have been produced since 1st quarter 2019. Neither of our 2017 Xs have PM motors ... only AC induction.
B. I only had it for a day, as I mentioned, but I have not felt any difference in regen. I'm in the 40s here tho.

A. Correct. 'Ravens' have been produced since 1st quarter 2019. Neither of our 2017 Xs have PM motors ... only AC induction.
B. I only had it for a day, as I mentioned, but I have not felt any difference in regen. I'm in the 40s here tho.

I'm now thinking (thanks to post here earlier) that the softness in the regen may be due to the fact that I had just charged? However, my charge limit is set to 85%, not 95% , so still a question in my mind.

I live in Pensacola, FL. Temps have been in 40's nightly. So I have the recharge set to 80%. When I get up in the AM I use the app on the phone to change the % to 90 so it warms up the battery while i shower and get ready to leave. Still have a couple dashes when I leave but I have good regen and a warm car if I set the climate to on.

I live in Pensacola, FL. Temps have been in 40's nightly. So I have the recharge set to 80%. When I get up in the AM I use the app on the phone to change the % to 90 so it warms up the battery while i shower and get ready to leave. Still have a couple dashes when I leave but I have good regen and a warm car if I set the climate to on.
If you are using 36.2.1 in this thread then you can just use 'Scheduled Departure' and charge to 90%. Set the time and whether you want 7 or 5 days. Even check box if you want the car to cool down for you.

AsSl1pS.jpg

I'm now thinking (thanks to post here earlier) that the softness in the regen may be due to the fact that I had just charged? However, my charge limit is set to 85%, not 95% , so still a question in my mind.

It's combination of Charge Level and Temperature. I had Limited Regen in the middle of July (in MA) when I charged over 80% on a Model 3 AWD.

As it gets cooler, I plan to not charge as high (because I have plenty of range) to keep some regen.
But to much charge or too cold can overrule each other.
It's when you are in the borderline temps (like 35-65F) or state charge (70%-90%) they effect each other a lot.
But if it's below say 30F for long time, it won't matter what State of Charge you are at you'll have very little regen or if State of Charge is 95% or above it won't matter what the temperature is you won't have much regen.

I don't think 85% would be high enough charge to limit regen in normal conditions. But Houston did have a few days last week with highs in the mid 50s and lows in the 30s. That could be enough to limit a bit. It doesn't take much change in regen to surprise the driver.

I'm in Austin and I saw similar dashed lines & warning triangle last week and I didn't get the newer software version until yesterday.