Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure that this issue is related to authentication between Rogers here in Canada and the network that Tesla uses. This is not dissimilar to issues I have seen with my phone while roaming in the US. And given the title of this thread this didn't exist in the past on the Model S, but I didn't own a Tesla at that time.

I feel for you guys, I really do... but I'm more intrigued by the fact that I don't seem to have the problem to nearly the extent of others. Other than a very small handful of times, the only time I see a similar big long delay in connecting is when I manually do a re-boot myself. I don't even consider it a problem on my car. It's just bizarre how different seemingly identical cars can be.

The 3G concern is a known issue with our Canadian fleet. As per the ongoing investigation, this is confirmed to be a firmware issue and they are gradually improving this with every firmware update.
The LTE is a hardware update available as a retrofit option for $600. This was not released as a fix for the 3G issue and is not known to have any major differences with connectivity.

The above is a reply I got from my local service centre when I asked about the issues and LTE.

Posts here would indicate that it isn't getting any better with the numerous variants of 6.2 firmware upgrades.
I would agree completely... I've seen zero change in reliability over the last 3 or 4 updates (or whatever it's been). Given that my Rogers phone can roam to Bellus without any issues, I don't understand the problem. I would drop a call on my phone if it happened while talking, but I wouldn't have to reboot, hold my tongue a certain way and make a small sacrifice to the Ghost of Marconi.

As I've said before, it really shouldn't be this difficult to make reliable, given virtually every cell phone on the planet can do it without any fuss.

Currently testing 2.5.36 (which I received this morning) with Energy Savings = ON, Always connected unchecked. May I remind people here that the widespread problem is with these settings (although Always connected checked with Energy Savings ON also seems to have problems)

Currently testing 2.5.36 (which I received this morning) with Energy Savings = ON, Always connected unchecked. May I remind people here that the widespread problem is with these settings (although Always connected checked with Energy Savings ON also seems to have problems)
I've always had 'Always Connected' set to 'on', AND 'Energy Savings' set to 'off'. That is, what one would assume would be the most reliable combination of settings, albeit at the price of more energy consumption. It's still causing me regular grief.

Reading further, it appears that 'Energy Savings' might default to 'on' during nighttime hours...however my problems typically happen in the middle of the day, while actively using the connection (Slacker). So it wouldn't seem to be a problem with waking up the system.

If anything this is actually getting worse for me and I got the latest firmware upgrade installed yesterday morning. Since then I have had outages for 2 out of 3 trips in my car. And I also had an outage on my way into the office yesterday as well.

Keep an eye on whether you see any connection differences between Canada and the US.

When I do a re-boot in Canada, it takes maybe 1 or 2 minutes for everything to come back: bars, 3G symbol and music playing. I had to do a re-boot at my daughter's place in Illinois (touch screen became unresponsive) back in June and noticed the 3G was restored almost immediately.

Did a test coming back from Philadelphia. Turned on Energy Saving and turned off Always connected. Absolutely no problem waking up and immediately connecting in PA, NJ, NY.
As soon as I crossed the border into Canada today at the Rainbow bridge, the 3G dropped dead. Near the QEW and 405 merge I then turned off Energy Saving and turned on Always connected and 3G immediately connected with full bars.
My conclusion: it is definitely a roaming issue.

Just one week into my Tesla experience and found this issue. Its really annoying and seems like its well known. When i called the service centre they appeared surprised by the issue and promised to call me back. Still waiting. I hope this is not an indication of the support at Tesla

Support is usually pretty good but this is something that head office in Cali can't really test since it seems to only occur when the connection is being made through Rogers' (or perhaps Belus as well) network. My one pet peeve is that the designers need a more global perspective - like not putting sensors in concave holes that fill up with snow (look under your front nose cone for that one).

@tdavis1198 - a suggestion that you add your city to location rather than just Canada as it can be useful when people respond.

Just one week into my Tesla experience and found this issue. Its really annoying and seems like its well known. When i called the service centre they appeared surprised by the issue and promised to call me back. Still waiting. I hope this is not an indication of the support at Tesla

To the new people: Turn off energy savings and always stay connected and it helps.

To the new people: Turn off energy savings and always stay connected and it helps.
Discussed this with the SC, and actually tried it a few weeks ago, sad to say that it did not help me. YMMV.

SC also said that having always connected draws power from the 12V battery. Since it did not worked for me, I went back to my old settings. Still hoping that Tesla will fix this firmware issue (according to SC).

Support is usually pretty good but this is something that head office in Cali can't really test since it seems to only occur when the connection is being made through Rogers' (or perhaps Belus as well) network.
I'm beginning to wonder if the problem occurs when Rogers service drops out and the car roams to Belus (assuming it does). Rogers added that roaming service over to Belus for phones recently at no extra charge... I don't know if the Jasper SIM would have caused it to happen anyway, or differently. When a Rogers phone does it, the call drops, or the data transport fails... but service becomes available shortly once the roaming handshakes are done. It feels to me like the IP tunnel constructed via the Rogers or Belus connection simply doesn't want to reset to the new IP assigned to the car when roaming occurs. This could even be the fault of the Jasper end of the tunnel for all we know, which would explain the delays in getting it sorted out.

Depending on the carrier used in the US, perhaps roaming doesn't happen often or at all... which would explain why we're complaining and our friends south of the 49th aren't...

My longest 'outage' was almost 48 hours... and I have pretty much always had 'always connected' checked, with no power savings selected.

My service person told me the LTE upgrade does nothing for this problem in Canada, as far as they've seen.

That Rogers service, called Rogers-EXT, is rather new and I think this problem predates that problem. But I don't think what you describe is happening as this happens in areas with strong Rogers signals. If it happened like you described then we should also occasionally see Rogers-EXT on our phones and I never see that unless I leave Rogers' coverage area.

Tried it, did not help. This morning two reboots and still did not connect. Its really annoying as so many of the cool features disappear with no connection

- - - Updated - - -

Tried it, did not help. This morning two reboots and still did not connect. Its really annoying as so many of the cool features disappear with no connection
Spoke to the SC, told me that i should solve the problem by tethering to my phone. Not really a great solution. Looks like this problem has been ongoing since Nov, 2014 without any resolution. Maybe its not as simple as it looks to solve.