Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Heads up Displays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
I am soon to move from my Model S into a Model 3 and one thing that worries me is getting used to the position of the speedo etc.

I was looking at some basic HUD's that would present my speed only. Most of them look pretty neat, compact and discrete but require an OBD port. To the best of my knowledge, the OBD port isn't available on the Model 3. Can anyone confirm if the OBD is present?

In addition has anyone tried any HUD's with the Model 3?

I would definitely like having one that shows the speed, and efficiency graph much like the Model S. I haven't seen anything promising though, aside for what Hudway drive is supposedly going to deliver.

I've thought about having a go at it myself with a 7 inch touch screen case / Raspberry Pi combo that uses the Tesla API. I don't have a lot of free time right now though. But I feel like something like that should be out there already, it doesn't seem like an unsolvable problem or anything like that.

What I can say though is you do eventually get used to not having the info right behind the steering wheel. It took me a couple weeks. Still feels a little awkward though.

I would definitely like having one that shows the speed, and efficiency graph much like the Model S. I haven't seen anything promising though, aside for what Hudway drive is supposedly going to deliver.

I've thought about having a go at it myself with a 7 inch touch screen case / Raspberry Pi combo that uses the Tesla API. I don't have a lot of free time right now though. But I feel like something like that should be out there already, it doesn't seem like an unsolvable problem or anything like that.

What I can say though is you do eventually get used to not having the info right behind the steering wheel. It took me a couple weeks. Still feels a little awkward though.

Would the API pull the data fast enough though for a Speedo?

. To the best of my knowledge, the OBD port isn't available on the Model 3. Can anyone confirm if the OBD is present?
Not an OBD port per se but there is another communications terminal under the armrest, that you can tap into and convert into OBD. There's a company selling the harness for ~200 USD

Would the API pull the data fast enough though for a Speedo?
With Bluetooth OBD modules ive used in other cars, yes the real-time is rapid enough

Shouldn't need to be that fast. Speed is mostly steady state, and if you're accelerating rapidly, it's a real good idea to be watching the road rather than the display.
Don't need to be accelerating rapidly to want to monitor ones speed. The car is quietly and effortlessly fast. Cruising in ICE car, change in engine pitch tells youre changing speeds. In Tesla the acceleration is seamless without much feedback

I just want to add that for me, getting used to the location of the speed display on the Model 3 screen was instantaneous and trouble-free.

I had worried about it, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

I continued to have a slight "weirded out" moment every time I got into the car at night and there was just a black void behind the wheel where I always expected a glowing instrument cluster, so that took time to get used to (maybe two weeks), but I realized I was not missing any information. I was just used to the light. I had adapted to getting my speed on the right on my first drive, and there's no separate tach to watch, and I'm not constantly monitoring the batt level as I was in my Insight. There's no missing information.

What took getting used to was the absence of visual noise!

I also thought I’d want an HUD before I got the car and even bought a stand for my phone and downloaded an app that shows the speed on the phone screen, but after I started DDing the car I quickly realized that all of that prep and worrying had been for naught.

My advice is to drive the car for a couple of weeks and THEN decide how to proceed.

Don't need to be accelerating rapidly to want to monitor ones speed.
That's what I said, you shouldn't be monitoring your speed, you should be watching the road. The rest of the time, a few samplings should be fine because it's mostly steady state, and you're just checking to make sure you're not creeping up or down.

Reactions: puckpurnell
I was looking at some basic HUD's that would present my speed only. Most of them look pretty neat, compact and discrete but require an OBD port...In addition has anyone tried any HUD's with the Model 3?

You can find cheap (<$50) HUDs on Amazon that utilize GPS and 12v, without needing OBD. I've got one but never fully installed on my Model 3. It didn't look right in the middle of the dash and I got use to default speedo on screen.

Of course it's easy to get used to basically any weird dash layout.

The problem with a real HUD, is that it exists on many other cars (some much much cheaper than Tesla) and it really is a nice feature. I had it in both my Mazdas before, and now I truly miss it in the Model S. Having the speed and maybe some other brief info projected on the windshield is absolutely amazing and makes for a great driving experience.

I would drive your new car around before uglying up that sweet clean dashboard with accessories. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you become accustomed to the speedometer in the center screen. And it's not just moving from Model S to a Model 3... pretty much every single person on this forum had that same issue coming from whatever car they drove before buying a Model 3.

If you think you need it for security or safety, sure, go get one. But I definitely suggest driving it, even for one day, before deciding if you need to get something aftermarket.

See the Scan My Tesla thread.
Not a heads up display but it might accomplish what you want.
full

Some people are fine with the center-only display. That's cool.

But why make it as if others are trying to conjure an exotic new concept. It's not. Center display have been implemented by the French, the Germans, the English, the Japanese. And yet, like, 99.5% of cars use use driver-forward speedos.

So maybe it's okay for some of us to want it that way?

Some people are fine with the center-only display. That's cool.

But why make it as if others are trying to conjure an exotic new concept. It's not. Center display have been implemented by the French, the Germans, the English, the Japanese. And yet, like, 99.5% of cars use use driver-forward speedos.

So maybe it's okay for some of us to want it that way?
Sure, if you've driven the Model 3 for a while and still miss having a speed display in front of you, then that's what you want based on personal experience. However, most of the replies here are in response to the perceived need for such a display before the person has even driven the car yet. Just try it first as-is and then decide.

Last edited: