Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure it will be right around the end of March. There's got to be something big coming in April, seeing as the last of the free supercharged for life deliveries end in March. Also I don't think they are allowing deliveries to be delayed past the end of March but in 2016 one could easily delay 6 to 8 months or more.

At the end of the Q and A today for the Telsa SolarCity merger voting and such, someone asked (very softly, off camera) when the next Model 3 reveal would be, and Elon stated in "early Spring," in "3 of 4 months." So this puts us around February - March.
Thoughts?
If that is indeed what Elon said in response to that specific question, than I think it likely it will happen as stated. It seems clear that there has to be another Model 3 event before production starts to show off the "spaceship" controls that Elon tweeted about last April and to provide more details about options.

It is amusing to see how many Model 3 questions there were at a meeting about the SolarCity merger.

I can't say it enough. HUD's are horrible when your car is facing the sun.

I actually wonder about this, if a HUD is projection then readability will for sure be adversely affected by the sun (one can hardly see the road anyway if the sun hits just right)... However, what it was an OLED? The sun will still hit where the sun is going to hit, but it shouldn't wash out the entire display like projection.

I'm starting to worry, with some of the tech I've seen, that there's not going to be a HUD at all.

What's the benefit of augmented reality, instead of just looking through the windshield?
The Tesla Autopilot sensor suite has a 360 degree view around the car using cameras and ultrasonics and the forward radar can detect objects ahead of the car through rain/snow/fog/darkness, objects that human eyes may not be able to see. The Nvidia computer can integrate, process, and react to that information far faster than the human nervous system can. Some sort of augmented reality display in front of the driver can present information that the driver may not be aware of and show how the car is reacting to it.

It is time to move past the archaic notion that human drivers using their extremely limited senses and failure-prone attention span are the best way to control a car. Over the next year, with tens of thousands of new Teslas on the road in AP mode and gathering data, Tesla is going to clearly demonstrate that humans are far less safer drivers than Autopilot is. Elon already believes that has been demonstrated. Obviously not everyone agrees. More data will show who is correct and that data is being gathered right now.

What's the benefit of augmented reality, instead of just looking through the windshield?
Another thing it is can highlight possible dangers or pedestrians that you might not otherwise see. Mapping also gets very cool. Even with GPS nowadays you still find yourself looking at street signs, now imagine a virtual marker telling you exactly where to turn.
A HUD might be able to tell you where to turn too like GPS, but an augmented reality HUD can actually mark the street for you.