Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row post replacement fails to go down. Others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I had my 3rd row replaced per the defect / 'recall'. It seemed to work initially. While on a roadtrip last month the passenger side stopped working and will not go DOWN. ie. stuck in up position Bit of a pain with luggage and such.

My drivers side one works OK and as expected. I'm familiar with the quirks of the button and the headrest going down first and then 2nd row moving forward as the 3rd row mechanics release the seat to fold forward. The mechanical and motorized sound when I operate both sides sounds the same but the passenger side just won't go down. I've tried multiple times on multiple occasions. I've tried gently and not so gently doing it (push pull, wiggle, etc, etc).

Any others having problem?

Service center is getting busier and haven't been able to get me in after for weeks after I reported it. Recently I offered to drive up myself (45m-ish) to let them at least diagnosis it and determine if they need another seat or can fix my existing one. Didn't want to wait weeks to get it there then they find out they need to order another one and book me out again.

Pain because I waited 3 years for an "SUV" I can haul reasonable stuff in vs just getting a Model S. Now I'm trying to get a new BBQ and small rubbermaid shed for my new patio cushions and I can't even use my "SUV". Sorry for the vent just frustrated with a lot of little problems. Overall still *love* the vehicle. Few hundred mile roadrip to MI recently that worked out well (aside from a odd bug with my drivers FaWD).

I had my 3rd row replaced per the defect / 'recall'. It seemed to work initially. While on a roadtrip last month the passenger side stopped working and will not go DOWN. ie. stuck in up position Bit of a pain with luggage and such.

My drivers side one works OK and as expected. I'm familiar with the quirks of the button and the headrest going down first and then 2nd row moving forward as the 3rd row mechanics release the seat to fold forward. The mechanical and motorized sound when I operate both sides sounds the same but the passenger side just won't go down. I've tried multiple times on multiple occasions. I've tried gently and not so gently doing it (push pull, wiggle, etc, etc).

Any others having problem?

Service center is getting busier and haven't been able to get me in after for weeks after I reported it. Recently I offered to drive up myself (45m-ish) to let them at least diagnosis it and determine if they need another seat or can fix my existing one. Didn't want to wait weeks to get it there then they find out they need to order another one and book me out again.

Pain because I waited 3 years for an "SUV" I can haul reasonable stuff in vs just getting a Model S. Now I'm trying to get a new BBQ and small rubbermaid shed for my new patio cushions and I can't even use my "SUV". Sorry for the vent just frustrated with a lot of little problems. Overall still *love* the vehicle. Few hundred mile roadrip to MI recently that worked out well (aside from a odd bug with my drivers FaWD).
So what ended up happening? Was there a recall associated with this? I am having the same issue. Is there a way to manually or bypass to lower the third row?

They said I had to replace the whole seat. If the sensor is in the bottom section of the seat, why not just replace that only?

Thank you for the update.
You are welcome. I went to look again and found this service record. The description is a little fuzzy. I'm not 100% sure if it was that problem but I don't recall any other issue with the 3rd row. Perhaps it wasn't just a part and they replaced the seatbacks.

gmIYHik.jpg