Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4.5 broke my workflow! (changed unlock procedure)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often used the hatch button to unlock the car. Sometimes it really is more convenient than any other available method.

What I don't understand, though, is why the car doesn't auto-unlock when I'm right next to it. I wish the auto-unlock range were several times larger than it is. and directly_in_front_of_the_car isn't as useful as right_next_to_the_rear_door.

This is my #2 frustration with the car.

I believe it has something to do with which antennas listen for your key fob. I was told there is one in the rear but for whatever reason, that isn't used to auto unlock the car. That's what one of the Rangers told me at least.

The tech who recently installed new boot loader code for the DC-DC converter told me there are seven antennae on the car for fob and/or charging cable sensing. I imagine it's a tricky dance to create software that uses these antennae to do everything it's supposed to do, and nothing it isn't.

Ditto to the above. I use the trunk switch to unlock the charge cable before making my way to the door area.

To strider: we're talking about the trunk release button on the car, not the one on the fob. Used to be one could tap the trunk release and it would unlock the car. Now one has to reach for the fob, or walk to a door, in order to unlock the charging cable.

I prefer the old way...