Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Corners Area opening up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Phoenix since 1980 and have frequently vacationed in Colorado. The shortest drive to get to Colorado is through the Four Corners, which is the junction of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. The closest town is Cortez, Colorado. Alternative routes through Moab or Gallup are possible as well. My preferred route is Phoenix-Flagstaff-Cortez in one day (400+ miles) and then Cortex to anywhere-in-Colorado the next day.

But doing that in an EV is a real problem. No (and I mean ZERO) chargers, fast or slow, on the Navajo Nation means nibbling around the edges with the slow Page AZ Supercharger, the one up in Bluff UT, or the one east in Farmington. And once you get to Cortez, then what? Next closest Supercharger is in Telluride, or way east in Alamosa.

But relief is coming, supposedly by the end of 2025!
1. Superchargers are going up in Kayenta!!! (!!!) 8 V3 stalls have been spotted at the Burger King with the Code Talkers display. This will open the entire Navajo Nation to Teslas. I'm surprised these aren't V4 stalls with Magicdock as I imagine all the non-Teslas would be desperate to charge here.
2. We've heard for a while about Superchargers going into Durango, though no progress has been seen, and the site isn't yet present on Tesla's map.
3. NEVI funding in Colorado is kicking in, and Tesla will install new SC's in Cortex, Durango, Pagosa Springs and Poncha Springs. That will open the entire southwest corner of Colorado to EV road tripping.
4. NEVI funding also has a DCFC going into Walsenburg, along with a bunch of stations in very small towns east of the front range.
5. Utah's NEVI grants are also starting to kick in, and while not quite 4 Corners, new stations are going into Bluff, Monticello and Moab.
6. New Mexico's NEVI grants mostly aren't near 4 Corners, but it looks like Tesla is putting in a new SC in Gallup.
7. While grants haven't yet been awarded in Arizona's NEVI funding, there are plans to add DCFC's along 89a on the way from Flagstaff to Utah, with Cameron being a likely spot, plus more. NEVI was also looking to fund a station in Kayenta, so there may end up being another site besides the Tesla one, or perhaps this site will obviate the need for a NEVI site here.

All-in-all, a major charging desert is getting opened up over the next 1.5 years, if things go to plan. US50 definitely will be looking good for Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I did stop at Four Corners on my trip through there in 2018, but I do remember it being a little out of the way to hit the Supercharger stops. I was heading West through Albequerque first, so I think I went Gallup, up to Farmington, and then through Four Corners to Blanding, UT.